Im looking at buying a Telescope for my Daughter aged 5

can anyone recommend a telescope that is good for a beginner

Thanks in advance

Belby
Old 06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hiya belby, welcome aboard

gee, what do you want to spend? considering she is but 5 it might just be a passing interest... are you into astronomy too?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:08 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

200mm Dob
Old 06-09-2007, 05:14 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

150mm Dob
Old 06-09-2007, 05:23 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

114mm Dob. Orion XT4.5
Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM
mib

As you can see from the replies dobs are a good choice as they offer great value for money. It's a matter of determining how much you want to spend. Then I recommend going to a reliable astronomy shop. The only issue is the eyepiece ends up at the high end of the scope which would probably mean the use of a step ladder for your daughter (or possibly Dad lifting her ).
Old 06-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Binoculars?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Trido (Justin)

Does a 5 year old have a big enough head to properly see through binos?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:41 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I was asked a similar question by a friend of my Mum's. I suggested a 6" dob, but a 4.5" may be even better if you can find them.

I also suggested that a 5-6 yr old may even find difficulty in observing - eg: closing one eye and putting the other in the right spot.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving View Post
gee, what do you want to spend? considering she is but 5 it might just be a passing interest... are you into astronomy too?
I think ving is asking an important question as to your interest level and budget...I'd also be keen to understand a little more about your childs interest, independance and "stick-to-it-tiveness" level too...

Before I would strongly suggest a scope I would want to know a few more things as listed above but in the interest of establishing a discussion...

I will go out on a limb and suggest the "un-suggestable" and that might be to get the "el cheapo" refractor scope for D*ck Smith (or equiv)...

Before you all ridicule this suggestion let me advocate that if the parent has no interest, a small budget and thinking about the typical attention span/capability of a 5 year old...the el cheapo refractor may fit the bill...

Yes, it is largely toy and I would not recommend it for a "family" that was seriously interested in pursuing this fine hobby but...I will confess to having one of these at my house (proudly accepted as a gift from IIS member ving) and I will say that my kids still regularly use it. Not so much anymore for astronomy but for all kinds of "games" and daytime viewing...

Is it limited in it's capabilities as an astronomical tool?...absolutely, but it does okay on the moon and the occassional bird in my neighbours backyard as well as being workable by my kids alone (that is one of the things that we all like about it...no Dad involved in the set-up)...and best of all it is inexpensive...

No doubt if more of the family is interested I'd make a different suggestion but in this instance for a youngster aged 5-6 it may suit the purpose (and budget)...

Just something to consider...
Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I was asked a similar question by a friend of my Mum's. I suggested a 6" dob, but a 4.5" may be even better if you can find them.

I also suggested that a 5-6 yr old may even find difficulty in observing - eg: closing one eye and putting the other in the right spot.
How about a dob and an eyepatch...then if she looses interest in astronomy she can always play pirates! And use the tube as a wooden leg
Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 AM
knicholas

Here's my 10c worth. I've only had my 10" Dob for ten days, so my experience is still very green, but I also have three kids (8, 6 & 4) who are loving the opportunity to have a look.

The eye-patch works, scratched it out of the dress-up box! The next issue is the height of the eyepiece. Initailly I just used a low stool - the problem with this is they don't have anything to do with their hands. Their instinct to clutch the focusser with both hands was in direct conflict with my "don't-touch-my-expensive-equipment-I've-just-spent-ten-minutes-centering-and-focusing-Jupiter" instinct!

The solution is a cheap 2-step ladder from Bunnings, the type that has a cross bar that they can clutch onto while viewing.

Cheers,
Keith
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

I'd be inclined to agree with the 60mm refractor suggestion, from experience with my grandchildren at that age. Unless of course you have an interest in astronomy yourself, and if the young lass loses interest it could become "Dads Telescope"