Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Mobile Astronomy Apps
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-04-2014, 08:38 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Hey guys, can anyone help me out here? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I dropped my Android tablet within minutes of downloading this app and it is a write-off. So I have bought a replacement thinking that if it had enough RAM and ran Android 4.0 or above it would be compatible. But I keep getting messages from Google Play's site saying this App is not compatible with your device.

The device of the day is a Mini PC/TV Dongle device that plugs straight into the HDMI plug on my TV/Monitor and that says it has 8 GB of RAm and is running Android 4.2. I'm stumped.

Peter
Old 23-04-2014, 10:56 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Hey guys, can anyone help me out here? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I dropped my Android tablet within minutes of downloading this app and it is a write-off. So I have bought a replacement thinking that if it had enough RAM and ran Android 4.0 or above it would be compatible. But I keep getting messages from Google Play's site saying this App is not compatible with your device.

The device of the day is a Mini PC/TV Dongle device that plugs straight into the HDMI plug on my TV/Monitor and that says it has 8 GB of RAm and is running Android 4.2. I'm stumped.

Peter
I don't know for sure, but could it be that the "TV dongle" doesn't have GPS and / or accelerometers and / or gyroscopes and / or compass, etc? The GPS and position sensors are used in "Compass" mode in SkySafari, so if your device doesn't have those sensors, it may not be able to load the App?
Old 24-04-2014, 01:38 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
I don't know for sure, but could it be that the "TV dongle" doesn't have GPS and / or accelerometers and / or gyroscopes and / or compass, etc? The GPS and position sensors are used in "Compass" mode in SkySafari, so if your device doesn't have those sensors, it may not be able to load the App?
Nice point. The sensors are in the associated Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard. They call it an Air-Mouse. Cute. Perhaps the system detect routine on the app isn't seeing them. Bugger. Back to EBay.
Peter
Old 24-04-2014, 09:43 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Nice point. The sensors are in the associated Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard. They call it an Air-Mouse. Cute. Perhaps the system detect routine on the app isn't seeing them. Bugger. Back to EBay.
Peter
Wouldn't a simple Android tablet (with GPS) be the best option? (And a whole lot easier to use outdoors with your telescope than being "tethered" to your TV!)

I use the Nexus 7 2013, and it works great, but I would have thought pretty well any recent Android tablet should work, although your experience shows that some Android devices aren't up to the job. The Google Play store certainly won't detect any external sensors etc as being part of the target Android device, so I assume it will have denied access for download because your Android device has no sensors, and these are probably required for SkySafari to install. In any case, the "Air Mouse" devices I have seen have accelerometers but no GPS, and GPS may also be an absolute requirement to be able to install SkySafari?

Maybe it's worth contacting the developers to make sure exactly what the hardware requirements are before you buy?
Old 24-04-2014, 11:15 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Wouldn't a simple Android tablet (with GPS) be the best option? (And a whole lot easier to use outdoors with your telescope than being "tethered" to your TV!)
It's a valid enough point except that this is being used in the warm room attached to my observatory. I control two piers/scopes from there and have a separate wall-screen onto which I had planned to run the planetarium program and do basic internet stuff while the other computers were busy with imaging. I have the IPad version of this App already and am a convert to SkySafari but wanted to be able to leave the IPad at home. The Android dongle seemed an ideal choice.
Peter
Old 24-04-2014, 12:06 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
It's a valid enough point except that this is being used in the warm room attached to my observatory. I control two piers/scopes from there and have a separate wall-screen onto which I had planned to run the planetarium program and do basic internet stuff while the other computers were busy with imaging. I have the IPad version of this App already and am a convert to SkySafari but wanted to be able to leave the IPad at home. The Android dongle seemed an ideal choice.
Peter
Okay, fair enough, but I doubt that you'll find a TV Dongle with the necessary sensors, as they are meant to be used in a fixed location (plugged into your TV), so there isn't really any point in installing the motion and location sensors that you get on tablets and phones.

Your cheapest option would probably be some sort of generic Chinese Android tablet - but make sure it has access to Google Play market (to download SkySafari), and make sure it has all the sensors.

SkySafari can be quite processor-intensive, so can use quite a bit of processing power, and also benefits from a nice HD screen. I would suggest getting something with Android 4.2 or higher, and at least 1 GB RAM, and preferably better than 1024x768 resolution. The Nexus 7 2013 is a great choice, but there are many cheaper options to choose from, but cheaper tablets often skimp on RAM and / or screen resolution, so check the specs carefully before buying. However, many Chinese tablets have HDMI output, so you could potentially use one with your TV, as you planned to do with the dongle. (The Nexus 7 doesn't have HDMI output.)

If you're not averse to buying direct from China, take a look at ChinaVasion's offerings:
http://www.chinavasion.com/china/who...droid_Tablets/
(I've bought a few things from them, including a couple of Android phones, and they've been exceptionally good value, but I have never bought a tablet from them.)

Alternatively, you may feel more comfortable going to a bricks-and-mortar store like OfficeWorks, Dick Smith or Harvey Norman - you'll have a smaller choice of products, but you'll be able to test it in-store - you could even load up your Google account temporarily, and download SkySafari to make sure it works before you buy.
Old 24-04-2014, 09:11 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Well, I have found a solution of sorts - plugging a USB mouse into the OTG port on the damaged tablet gives me back most of the functionality I need to run the App in question - no touchscreen control of course but better than nothing.
Peter
Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 AM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

Downloaded it to my galaxy Note 10.1 last night. Very smooth and easy to use. Now to get it driving the EQ8!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 PM
coldknights (Cathy)

Sale on now till 7th of May

Hi everyone SkySafari 4 plus is half price till 7th may $8.62
On special for iOS iPads as well$9.99

Also SkySafari 4 pro version are half price !
Old 04-05-2014, 10:21 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

SkySafari 4 for Android is on special right now at the Google Play store - e.g. $21.56 for the Pro version. (I'll make do with my 4 Plus version, which is also on special, as I don't really need the extra features of Pro, but I thought I would share, in case anyone has been contemplating buying.)

EDIT: Just realised that Cathy beat me to the news a couple of days ago - but I guess it doesn't hurt to “bump“ the news! :-)
Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
EDIT: Just realised that Cathy beat me to the news a couple of days ago - but I guess it doesn't hurt to “bump“ the news! :-)
Yup, worth bumping as they have extended the offer, the sale was supposed to be for 1 month ending on the 21st of April. I doubt it will get extended again, so get in while you can!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:53 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Yup, worth bumping as they have extended the offer, the sale was supposed to be for 1 month ending on the 21st of April. I doubt it will get extended again, so get in while you can!
IIRC this extension was for some US show or star party.
Old 15-05-2014, 07:57 PM
coldknights (Cathy)

Another app

Hi everyone here is a new App Virtuoso below is the link !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...io.virtuosoapp

For Skywatcher mounts !!!!!!

Took the plunge and got the App !

Great little App works with the New 4Way Bluetooth Adaptor we make connected straight to the skywatcher EQ8 Mount !(No Hand Controller) With SkySafari 4 Pro

When you start the app up you would have Allready scanned for a Bluetooth with your Android Tablet and paired it.

You have to connect the App to the Bluetooth first then tell it what mount you have then select type as well then start SkySafari 4pro up and configure it.

The App virtuoso runs in the background then you tell SkySafari you want to connect to the wifi network ?????? Well this is fake you don't need wifi at all I put in 127.0.0.1 port 4030 in SkySafari "Scope setup settings" as the App emulates wifi you only need a Bluetooth Adaptor connected to the mount. Then put in the

Mount Skywatcher Synscan Mount type ..German Equatorial

Went back to the main screen in SkySafari 4 pro hit connect using the directions keys could move the mount so I moved it near were Canopus would be then hit align in SkySafari then clicked on Achernar hit goto and away it went .

This ApP has a alignment function as well !

All so works with our Orion Teletrack (skywatcher Merlin) and the panorama Bluetooth adaptors we make plugged straight into the mount (no handcontroller) have to buy a small scope to mount on the Orion to give it a try but testing it still and will let you know the outcome ...
The APP seems to have some problems still ! Will try and sort them out it has some strange behaviour will try some different setting in SkySafari and hope to sort it out.

The App may need to be sorted out a bit more testing to be done by the maker..

UPDATE they are working on the problems and should have Another release soon to fix a few Bugs in the APP...... Fixed the gps now they are working on a slowmo problem once they sent a new update I will update this !

Also they are working on a IPhone /iPad version

Last edited by coldknights; 20-05-2014 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-07-2014, 11:18 PM
coldknights (Cathy)

Update Virtuoso has been updated on Google play and seems to work a lot better now !
Has anybody else used this App ?
This App only works for Bluetooth that are plugged into the mount directly !

Last edited by coldknights; 09-07-2014 at 07:33 PM.