Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 31-03-2014, 11:12 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
9 kg must be for the whole kit including tripod and mount.
Yes, it must be the whole kit. My dob is about 6.5 kilos, but apart from the fact that it is not light, it is cumbersome. But I am still going to the beach for the lunar eclipse with it!
Old 31-03-2014, 12:15 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Is the Black Diamond SW the same as the StarTravel SW but without the accessories?
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/star...el-80-ota.html
They really look very similar. I would just need the finderscope and the diagonal.
Thanks!

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 31-03-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 31-03-2014, 01:20 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Looks the same to me.

I'll be going to the beach for the lunar eclipse with my short 80mm refractor.
Old 31-03-2014, 01:26 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Is the Black Diamond SW the same as the StarTravel SW but without the accessories?
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/star...el-80-ota.html
They really look very similar. I would just need the finderscope and the diagonal.
Thanks!
You want to be VERY careful about the specifications of what you are buying if you are shopping on-line - particularly from an "unauthorised" reseller.

Like many reputable telescope makers, Sky-Watcher makes several series of telescopes, from "beginner" to "professional". I believe the "Black Diamond" name applies to their top of their product line, so expect to pay more for a genuine BD. (For $150, I very much doubt that what they are selling is actually a genuine Sky-Watcher "Black Diamond"!)

E.g. Bintel have 80 mm Sky-Watcher refractors from $349 (SW80 with tripod and mount; 80 mm / 400 mm / f5; 1.5 kg for the OTA - which might be a good choice for your needs?) to $1,099 (Black Diamond ED80 OTA only, no tripod or mount; 80 mm / 600 mm / f7.5; 2.5 kg for the OTA).

http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/...4/catmenu.aspx
Old 31-03-2014, 01:51 PM
raymo

9 Kilos is just wrong!!!!!!!!! Mine weighs 5.5 including the 6x30
finderscope and the tripod with tray.
If you get the same as mine you get a finderscope, diagonal, and tripod.
You could use your camera tripod when travelling, and the supplied
tripod with it's slow motions when at home. Mine came with a 45degree
diagonal, which makes viewing near the zenith awkward, so you'd need to get a 90DEgree one. The tripod really is very good; super stable.
raymo
Sorry, I just weighed it again, and it is actually 5.7kg.
Old 31-03-2014, 02:51 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
(For $150, I very much doubt that what they are selling is actually a genuine Sky-Watcher "Black Diamond"!)
But it's only the tube... No eyepieces or anything else...
Old 31-03-2014, 02:54 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

About the weight... The problem when flying is also that usually in economy the maximum weight of carry-on baggage is 7 kilos... So if I have 5.5 kilos only for the scope it will be difficult not to go over their limit. It depends on the staff. Some are nice and don't care, but if you find a fussy person you might have to pay a lot...
Old 31-03-2014, 04:01 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I just weighed my Kson ED80 F5.5 scope and it's only 1.5 Kg without eyepieces or diagonal. But it seems the store where I bought it and Kson in general have vanished from the western market.
Old 31-03-2014, 04:25 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
But it's only the tube... No eyepieces or anything else...
But my point is that the cheapest "legitimate" price for a genuine 80 mm Sky-Watcher Black Diamond that I can confirm is around $1,000 (for just the tube, focuser, diagonal and 1 x eyepiece - no tripod or mount). This makes me think that what is being offered is not a Black Diamond, so it also makes me wonder what else is incorrect in the ad. (E.g. maybe it's not even a genuine Sky-Watcher?)

On the other hand, it might well be a genuine Sky-Watcher SW80 (but not a Black Diamond), and it may well suit you just fine.
Old 31-03-2014, 04:36 PM
raymo

The SW80 is a Skywatcher product. It is not a $1000 scope, it is a budget 80mm achro that does a great job for the price. It did a great job on the horsehead for me.
raymo
Old 31-03-2014, 05:09 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

You are probably right, it is not a BD. That must be why I didn't find it anywhere else this morning... It is probably the body of the SW StarTravel (I posted a link this morning, although it had accessories too). I wonder why the SW StarTravel is hardly sold here. But it also looks very similar to the SW80. It could also be the SW80. Anyway, it is not urgent... And one day I would like to have a really big one.
Old 31-03-2014, 05:12 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Myastro also sell the Vixen 80mm refractor OTA for $245 and this is an excellent scope. No obvious Chromatic Aberration even on the moon. Highly recommend it.
Find a cheap suitable mount and it would be an excellent scope.
Thanks, I will have a look.
Old 31-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi OzStarGazer,

Let me be clear for a second, Black Diamond IS a colour scheme, NOT an indication of Extra Low Dispersion Glass or Apochromat lenses....

A BD monikered scope is just that, with the Black Diamond paint job.

IF is has ED 80 or is called SWED80, then it will be from $629-$1099 depending on the accessories and supplier, trust me, I have researched this extensively.

Bintel DOES have a $629 Black Diamond ED80 refractor for $629 new, BUT, it has a single speed crayford focuser and NOT the 10:1 micro-focuser version, nor, does is come with a case, diagonal or eyepieces.

The $629 is the "basic" scope, which does have rings and a finderscope and can be found here

The Vixen and SW80 mentioned previously are Achromatic scopes with no ED glass, but as mentioned, perform pretty well for a reasonably priced Achro refractor, so this would be a great place to start if $629 is too much.

However, if a high quality small ED refractor is what you want, then expect to pay around this amount for a basic 66-80mm scope new, or less if you are prepared to wait on Ice Trade for one that pops up at a bargain price, (price depends on the brand and quality and condition, of course)

Cheers

Chris
Old 31-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Further to this, there is a ZS66 limited edition ED on Ice Trade for $500, go get it if you can afford it
a Great grab and go and wide angle photo ED66 scope

Chris
Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Thank you for the explanation!! I am still thinking about it. Unfortunately I don't travel that much (although next year I want to go to Uluru), so "here" it would mostly be for the sun (with a filter) and terrestrial observing... The night sky in Uluru must be magnificent though, and I would like to have a proper view of it too of course, but it is an almost unique event.
Unfortunately I don't think I can use a tripod on my balcony... I tried yesterday evening with my camera tripod and I could hardly move myself and there were birds flying around and screaming... What if they tip it over? That's why my dob is ideal for the balcony.
Still thinking... But great advice in this thread; I have a much better idea of what is good and what is not and about reflectors now, thanks!
And I will also keep an eye on the ads...
PS: Maybe the title of the thread should be changed to "portable refractors", but I can't change it myself...