Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwjager View Post
Nothing special about what the planetary imager guys do Bert! It's all just as applicable to Deep Sky Images.
Your data is such a pleasure to work with Bert!
Here is a version processed in much the same way as the other image (with a better star mask this time).

Well Ivo after having a read about what your software does I think I understand what is going on. I am very impressed.

The difficult part is to come to terms with the 'look' of the image. I am sure it is because I/we am/are not used to seeing the real information that is normally hidden. It is akin to seeing everybody without their clothes in public!

There is a Hubble Palette colour 3nm NB image further back in this thread at post 20. Could I impose on you to give that a shot as well. I would be very interested what you can do to minimise gradients, the curse of the widefield imager.

You are of course welcome to use my data as examples etc.

Bert

Last edited by avandonk; 05-03-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 PM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
It is akin to seeing everybody without their clothes in public!
Now there's an image no amount of processing will fix!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Wow Ivo, it's hard to know where to start.

Quote:
Surely you're not going to seriously argue that this;

http://startools.org/download/Tutori...eforeDecon.jpg

is better than this?

http://startools.org/download/Tutori...AfterDecon.jpg
Not arguing that at all. It's clear that you've selectively reprocessed a portion of Bert's image - you've changed what you originally posted and moved the goal posts. I did not critique this image, I critiqued what you posted originally as a whole. So why make the point that sharpening is a good thing? Of course it is!

Quote:
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I didn't take the time to create a proper star mask for the de-ringing (I just used a quick auto mask), leaving some stars unprotected (for example Eta Carina is fine, but some other smaller ones didn't make it in my mask ). I tried to do better (time allowing) in the second data set Bert posted.
I see that you've fixed it. But wait! ... See the first 3 star images below - from near the top of the frame. The first is my quick & dirty, the second is your first attempt (the one I critiqued) and the third is your "fixed" version. The one that I critiqued (#2 image below) clearly shows less faint stars and less nebulosity - you have hidden or erased information from Berts data. Your second version (#3 image below) shows more neb but the stars are now a wonky shape. To me it looks like your reprocessing is more than just a star mask(?) #3 still has less stars and less neb than it should (IMO).

Quote:
I don't think you understand what wavelet sharpening is or how it works?
Really?

Quote:
I stated that I left the smaller scales alone and merely increased the prevalence of the larger structures (which the deconvolution cannot have touched). I fail to see how that automatically means an 'overcooked' image?
But I didn't say that Ivo. Decon and wavelet do not automatically overcook an image. I meant that you had applied (IMO) too much sharpening to the image, period. Like I said, selective and controlled application of any sharpening technique is important - I do it all the time. Would I sharpen this image if I was processing it? Definitely.

Quote:
Maybe you don't like the local histogram equalisation or optimisation?
Overcooking, to me, means showing features that aren't there (artefacts) or hiding features that are there through the incorrect use of filters. What do you define as overcooking?
Look at the 3 neb images below. The first again is my quick and dirty (no decon or wavelet). The second (#5) is your first version (and the one I critiqued). You see the halos and you immediately notice the huge amount of additional detail. Is it all real, possibly, but I doubt it. Have you corrupted the tonal balance? Yes, IMO. Eg: The blacks are lighter. In your second version (#6) the stars are still a funny shape and the blacks are now almost gone. You're flattening the dynamic range too much IMO. #6 also looks like the fine structure is less sharpened than #5 so I doubt this is just the application of a different star mask. Unfortunately, in your second version you've exaggerated the large scale structure too much for me.

How would I define overcooking? One or more of the following: Oversharpened, over flattened dynamic range, loss of information, creation of structure that isn't real (even if just tonal in nature).

Quote:
... The automated scene (AutoDev) stretching routine comes up with the best possible curve by homing in on the curve that generates the maximum amount of detail for a specific scale. It guarantees that all detail of a specific size (I chose smallest) is maximally visible within the constraints of a global stretch. It allows you more artistic freedom in choosing what the important feature is in your image.
By the way, I challenge you to clip your data in StarTools (except when explicitly allow or in the Layer module) - you won't be able to do it
Nice spruik Ivo, but I'm not critquing your software product - I'm not qualified. I critiquing your processing - that's all. Not something I'll soon repeat I might add.

Quote:
... There is no 'natural' look in astrophotography and anyone who claims they know what it is is a fraud. ...
Personally, I think you yourself could stand to gain quite bit with your images by getting 'with the program' so to speak, ...,
Ooops, you just lost me.

PS: My apologies Bert - your thread again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Comparisonstars_Marcus.jpg)
129.6 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (Comparisonstars_Ivo1.jpg)
113.1 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (Comparisonstars_Ivo2.jpg)
119.8 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (ComparisonNeb_Marcus.jpg)
99.0 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (ComparisonNeb_Ivo1.jpg)
129.8 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (ComparisonNeb_Ivo2.jpg)
123.3 KB39 views
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 AM
dvj (John)

Quote:
It's a combination of Deconvolution (the resolution and stellar SNR of this data is wasted otherwise!), automated scene-based global stretching (manual curves are sooo 90s ), local histogram optimisation and equalisation, topped off with some inter-scale aware wavelet sharpening of the larger structures. Not more than 5 minutes work.

I'm not a fan of too heavy-handed local dynamic range optimisation (e.g. the infamous 'flat' PixInsight look that destroys large scale detail/depth), so your description of "a low contrast HDR effect" is spot-on!

Happy to explain each step/algorithm in detail!

Cheers,
In the end it's all 0's and 1's.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Wow Ivo, it's hard to know where to start.
Not arguing that at all. It's clear that you've selectively reprocessed a portion of Bert's image - you've changed what you originally posted and moved the goal posts. I did not critique this image, I critiqued what you posted originally as a whole. So why make the point that sharpening is a good thing? Of course it is!
First point of your critique (which is welcomed as long as it is based on factual information and not opinion disguised as factual information) was that the stellar profiles indicated, in your opinion, the image did not require deconvolution. This opinion is demonstrably false, as I have hopefully demonstrated by the decon before and after.
Are you still maintaining the image as a whole does not stand anything to gain by deconvolution?

Secondly, of all people, you should know that sharpening and deconvolution are not the same things, just as 'cars' and Holden are not the same thing.
Different sharpening algorithms are used in different situations. In this case deconvolution was applied with a 2.7 Gaussian PSF in *all* of the images I posted (no changing goal posts here).

Sharpness and visual acuity are subjective measures. Many different factors govern sharpness and visual acquity, with many of them psychco visual. Deconvolution is an algorithm that helps reversing blurs (gross oversimplification) caused by seeing or the optical train, making sure that the viewer gets information that has optimal retinal focus to begin with.

Then there are algorithms that use psychovisual tricks to enhance visual acuity, by manipulating local contrast (Retinex, local histogram manipulation) or enhancing feature sizes on a global scale (wavelet manipulation).
Quote:
I see that you've fixed it. But wait! ... See the first 3 star images below - from near the top of the frame. The first is my quick & dirty, the second is your first attempt (the one I critiqued) and the third is your "fixed" version. The one that I critiqued (#2 image below) clearly shows less faint stars and less nebulosity - you have hidden or erased information from Berts data.
This is false. Compared to the linear and calibrated version of the data, no data was destroyed and data was still brightened.
More so, your version shows 'fatter' stars than needed (a feature I have noticed in more of your images) and less optimal use of dynamic range with no data using the lower 8% of the available dynamic range.
Quote:
Your second version (#3 image below) shows more neb but the stars are now a wonky shape. To me it looks like your reprocessing is more than just a star mask(?) #3 still has less stars and less neb than it should (IMO).
It's a different data set that Bert posted - process it yourself and you should see the same 'wonky' stars!
Quote:
But I didn't say that Ivo. Decon and wavelet do not automatically overcook an image. I meant that you had applied (IMO) too much sharpening to the image, period. Like I said, selective and controlled application of any sharpening technique is important - I do it all the time. Would I sharpen this image if I was processing it? Definitely.
My bad... it was the word 'consequently' that lead me to believe you thought one ('overcooking') was a consequence of the other ('using wavelets on top of deconvolved data'). I thought you were trying to state a fact rather than an opinion.

You could have fooled me though when it comes to judicious use of sharpening of some of your own images. It is clear that on smaller scales you indeed use some sort of sharpening, but on larger scales your images are disappointingly lacking detail, especially for the integration times quoted. Your Helix being an extreme example (though i appreciate that was recorded in 2009), but even your recent M8 is indistinguishable from a more amateur setup and much lower integration time which directly has to do with your processing;

If all you are doing is a global stretch with small bits of small scale sharpening, then beyond a point of fidelity, you better data is (both visually and mathematically) just wasted. It is only when you start resolving the dynamic range challenged areas in your image (such as M8's core), the fidelity of your data is being used.

The latter paragraph is fact, not opinion. Happy to show the math behind it.
Quote:
Look at the 3 neb images below. The first again is my quick and dirty (no decon or wavelet). The second (#5) is your first version (and the one I critiqued). You see the halos and you immediately notice the huge amount of additional detail. Is it all real, possibly, but I doubt it.
Then it is really time to get with the program Marcus. It is real.
Here are similar results for a program that is not StarTools (PixInsight);
http://astrofoto.euweb.cz/pixinsight...omparison.html
StarTools' algorithm is sublty different, but uses the same sort of Local Histogram manipulation at its core.
Quote:
Have you corrupted the tonal balance? Yes, IMO. Eg: The blacks are lighter.
Changed the tonal balance? Yes - ofcourse! As I indicated above, you'd be doing yourself and your data disservice if you didn't!
Quote:
In your second version (#6) the stars are still a funny shape and the blacks are now almost gone. You're flattening the dynamic range too much IMO. #6 also looks like the fine structure is less sharpened than #5 so I doubt this is just the application of a different star mask.
Yes, you're correct - it's a different data set and I used slightly different settings as a result.
Quote:
Unfortunately, in your second version you've exaggerated the large scale structure too much for me.
I think you mean I exaggerated small scale structures too much in lieu of larger scale structures. I think you were just trying to say that your taste in aesthetics is more about showing detail in its larger context in lieu of less detail? Your images certainly seem to do this?
Even so, be careful when taking a crop when critiquing scale manipulation is like critiquing a classical concert over a phone line; you need to at least be able to hear (see) the full frequency range over which the work is performed and affected (which in this case slightly larger than your crop ).
Quote:
How would I define overcooking? One or more of the following: Oversharpened, over flattened dynamic range, loss of information, creation of structure that isn't real (even if just tonal in nature).
Then we're on the same page it seems.
Quote:
Nice spruik Ivo, but I'm not critquing your software product - I'm not qualified. I critiquing your processing - that's all. Not something I'll soon repeat I might add.
StarTools is a (consciously) not-for profit loss-making endeavor to enthuse more people for our hobby (and offer people stuck in the Photoshop era a very-low-cost way out). There's no commercial motive, so I don't need to spruik for commercial reasons.
Now that that is out of the way, re-read it as an explanation for why the processed image looks the way it looks.
Quote:
Ooops, you just lost me.
Don't state your opinion as fact and we're all good
Bert has graciously posted this data for all of us to learn from. I don't want anyone to feel any of their attempts are inferior, wrong or 'unnatural', unless demonstrated through fact, not opinion stated as fact or false authority. Even more so when we're talking about narrow band data that is outside the visual spectrum and that no human eye has ever seen. Any references or claims pertaining to what is or isn't a 'natural' look for such data should be taken with the largest possible grains of salt...
You don't like the look of my (quick) processing - that's cool. Feel free to tell me this - I feel the same about yours. Let's keep things factual and informative though for those who may not have gotten to grips with narrow band data, dynamic range optimisation, wavelets, deconvolution, etc.

Cheers,
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
Well Ivo after having a read about what your software does I think I understand what is going on. I am very impressed.

The difficult part is to come to terms with the 'look' of the image. I am sure it is because I/we am/are not used to seeing the real information that is normally hidden. It is akin to seeing everybody without their clothes in public!
You are spot-on. The (somewhat extreme) examples posted are really exactly like that - leaving nothing to the imagination.
It is now up to you & me to use this detail to guide the viewer to whatever we want them to look at. Use it all, use nothing, or use something in between - it's up to you.

There is no wrong or right in doing is. More or less detail - it doesn't matter. What matters is that you have the tools and are comfortable using them to express your artistic vision for an image, whatever that vision may be. Like busy images? Cool. Like just conveying the bigger picture and leaving some mystery? Awesome.
Quote:
There is a Hubble Palette colour 3nm NB image further back in this thread at post 20. Could I impose on you to give that a shot as well. I would be very interested what you can do to minimise gradients, the curse of the widefield imager.

You are of course welcome to use my data as examples etc.

Bert
Thanks Bert - my pleasure;

http://startools.org/download/Tutori...rt_Carina3.jpg

I backed off a little on the all the detail recovery magic for a more middle-of-the-road approach.

Cheers,
Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
I don't want anyone to feel any of their attempts are inferior, wrong or 'unnatural'

There is no 'natural' look in astrophotography and anyone who claims they know what it is is a fraud.
After reading some of your earlier comments, I don't think you can put your hand on your heart and make the first statement.

As for the second statement, I find that the way you have processed the wavelets produces something that I don't believe actually exists. There is a distinctly rippled appearance to the nebulosity in your images which goes against what I expect a "diffuse gas cloud" to look like.

Narrowband processing is extremely subjective. IMHO there aren't too many facts to apply here - a real blurring of the boundaries between science and art. I don't profess to be an expert, having only one tricolour NB image to my name LINK. Nonetheless, your processing doesn't do it for me.

DT

Last edited by DavidTrap; 06-03-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added a bit
Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
After reading some of your earlier comments, I don't think you can put your hand on your heart and make the first statement.
Hmmm... Anything I said in particular?
Quote:
As for the second statement, I find that the way you have processed the wavelets produces something that I don't believe actually exists. There is a distinctly rippled appearance to the nebulosity in your images which goes against what I expect a "diffuse gas cloud" to look like.
I can't (and won't) argue with belief, David. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary; the Carina nebula complex is far from a homogenously distributed cloud of diffuse gas. It is a very, very violent place with very active (feedback induced) star formation, gas displacement and concentration.
Quote:
Narrowband processing is extremely subjective. IMHO there aren't too many facts to apply here - a real blurring of the boundaries between science and art. I don't profess to be an expert, having only one tricolour NB image to my name LINK. Nonetheless, your processing doesn't do it for me. DT
Fair enough David.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
In this case the details are real David. Have a look at the HST area scaled down to match what Ivo brought out of Bert's data. The patterns are the same. Not artifacts. Although I too like less pushed processing, but it's only a perception.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Bert_Ivo_Carina.jpg)
199.1 KB51 views

Last edited by multiweb; 06-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Hmmm... Anything I said in particular?
Well for starters, you've contradicted yourself in the two statements I quoted regarding what the maker of an image might perceive as a natural look. You've also had a go the people's processing skills, and labelled their images as inferior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
In this case the details are real David. Have a look at the HST area scaled down to match what Ivo brought out of Bert's data. The patterns are the same. Not artifacts. Although I too like less pushed processing, but it's only a perception.
Marc, I disagree - I can't see the same effect in the image you posted. I have seen the rippled effect that I referred to in multiple Ha images that I have processed using wavelet tools in PI. I've never seen that effect in images published by professional observatories. I looked at the link Ivo posted about the carina region, and I can't see it in those images either, especially at anything like the image scale of Bert's fine data.

My attitude with every step of processing has always been to make a change and then ask myself, "Does this look real or ovorprocessed?" Usually I go too far and bring it back. When I see that effect from wavelet tools - I always say "too far!"

Enough from me, back to the original topic.

DT
Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 PM
avandonk
avandonk

I am getting ready to collect more data. Meanwhile all you lot can argue amongst yourselves.

The response to this thread was and is amazing. It has obviously stirred the complacent into activity.

There is only one thing better than good argument. It is finding out you are wrong or ignorant. This is how I learn. As I am often both!

If I find out there is an Irish labarinthine component to this debacle then we are doomed!

Bert
Old 06-03-2013, 07:13 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Ivo I had a go playing with StarTools. I will buy it.

Thanks for your input. If you want more data to play with just ask.

Your version of the data is quite stunning. the gradient is gone.

Bert

Last edited by avandonk; 06-03-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Well for starters, you've contradicted yourself in the two statements I quoted regarding what the maker of an image might perceive as a natural look. You've also had a go the people's processing skills, and labelled their images as inferior.
I'm not sure how you can misconstrue that from the two statements... They complement each other perfectly; I don't like it when people disparage other people's renditions as unnatural or claim to know what a natural image is, as this is a totally subjective thing to which no one has the answer (as you said so yourself).

At no point have I labelled anyone's images or processing skills inferior (which implies some sort of comparison to something that is 'better'). I hold Marcus' skills in high enough esteem to know that everything he has done to the mentioned images has been by choice. I may disagree with that choice (and he apparently does so with mine), but that does not make his (or my) skills inferior. You cannot argue with taste and that is exactly what we seem to have started doing here for some strange reason.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I believe - PERSONALLY - tonal contrast to be real. These objects are 3 dimensional, and not expanding equally to each other molecule around them. To process them as a "flat" diffuse nebulosity to me is fake, not the other way around. I am SURE that if you were to see a diffuse nebula up close and personal that there would be VAST tonal and wave front detail.

Again, personally, I like Ivo's example - I don't think it is pushed too far. Perhaps mine was pushed too far in comparison? It all comes down to personal interpretation. If someone dislikes a proposed example, please, post your own rendition of the processed data.

A few of the other presented examples displayed an over-exposed core - the central, defining feature of the EC nebula region. Personally, I bleieve this region needs to be presented LESS exposed because this is the part that readily shows up even in the shortest of exposures (heck, it's visible to the visual observer). To stretch the remaining data to show the fainter nebulosity is in many ways more fake than tonally contrasting the more readily apparent nebulosity.

BUT, to each their own. Seems a LOT of angst about very little, since it is all a subjective interpretation anyway.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM
TrevorW

Not one to shy away from a challenge here is my 2 bobs worth

Great data Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CombineChannelTarget_1)CAR17frms_v1.jpg)
164.6 KB34 views
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM
avandonk
avandonk

Smile

Multiweb's (marc) post inspired me to fire up Registar and produce this animated gif. 700k

http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co...03/car_H_I.gif

It is the same area of Ivo's version of my data and Hubbles version.

It makes it far easier to pick out the artefacts in the Hubble image.

Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (rgIVO_sm.jpg)
118.8 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (rgHBLsm.jpg)
163.3 KB36 views
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Thanks Bert - my pleasure;

http://startools.org/download/Tutori...rt_Carina3.jpg

I backed off a little on the all the detail recovery magic for a more middle-of-the-road approach.

Cheers,
Ah huh!!?? peer pressure!

Looks great

Mike
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Ah huh!!?? peer pressure!

Looks great

Mike
Yeah, I caved.

Here is another one from one of the guys on Reddit where I posted Bert's data with his permission. This guy does some awesome work and is a huge PixInsight afficionado (who would've thunk with a handle like 'PixInsightFTW') with a similar taste to mine, so the more conservative minded folks might want to look away...
Old 07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
coldlegs (Stephen)
Chopped its rear end off!

Bert
Lovely data mate. Had to have a go so here's mine.
Found some dark clouds on the left side but can't
bring them out yet and it seems like no one else
can either although some got close. Boy we really need
a 2Mb limit for these photos (adjudicator..hint hint).
Used nebulosity (curves/levels stretching) and photoshop
sharpening etc.

Cheers
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (attempt1-ps1-paint saved 25.jpg)
195.3 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (dark clouds.jpg)
138.9 KB13 views
Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldlegs View Post
Found some dark clouds on the left side but can't
bring them out yet and it seems like no one else
can either ....
Weeell Not quite true Stephen

See my "quick & dirty" 5 min stretching effort in Photoshop (on page 1 of this thread). No sharpening applied (sorry) - just curves, levels and a touch of shadow/highlight to illustrate the extent of faint neb.

This is a 50% scaled image: http://upload.pbase.com/gailmarc/ima...24144/original

Nice job pulling out the fainter bits though