Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-03-2024, 11:56 PM
JA

BUY this VERY Beefy Tripod

Here's a great deal for a very sturdy Bogen / Manfrotto tripod. If you want a hefty quality photographic tripod which is also good for astro then you'd be hard pressed to find better unless you buy it's ~$800 replacement. Buy it. No affiliation.

Highly recommended - I have 2.

Manfrotto Tripod
Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 23-03-2024 at 10:57 PM.
Old 23-03-2024, 10:17 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I'd love something like that one day, it would be very handy. In saying that I don't have facebook and doubt I could purchase from there without an account. If I ever see one on here and have the cash though....
Old 24-03-2024, 01:30 PM
JA

Here it is to get an idea of size, features, load ....Manfrotto Tripod 075

There is also a black version, the 075B

Best
JA
Old 24-03-2024, 03:57 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

WOW, now I definitely want one, Thanks JA!

A friend had loaned me his near new Canon 5D MK IV (IIII?) and also his BIG carbon fibre tripod. I can't remember the brand, it wasn't Gitzo but similar quality and price (no longer available I believe). Fully extended I'd have needed larger than a 6' step ladder to reach, it was compact folded, very light, amazingly strong and stable. He mentioned using it while standing on the roof of a Pantec truck, legs on the ground, him on top of the truck.
Same gentleman offered me his Canon 800mm f5.6 L lens, a $20,000 lens basically new. While I was very appreciative of the offer and the level of trust I declined to take the lens and told him I'd rather meet him somewhere and play while he was there. I hated myself for my decision but it was to be used for night photography and I know how easy it is to step on a stone in the dark, twist an ankle and drop to your knees. Maybe were I in a financial position to replace it in the case of an emergency I'd have jumped at the opportunity.
I did however end up with his original 5D for 2 years till I got my D810. I purchased an adapter so my Nikon lens collection would fit his Canon (can't be done the other way so I was lucky).
It is a nice camera. I returned it with 4 new battery packs I refused to accept payment for.