Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-11-2007, 03:30 PM
你B
Its only a column of dust

I've got a 10" GSO Dob and absolutely love it! She'll perform nicely to well over 400x in good seeing, she shows me alot and frankly, 10 inches is a perfect compromise between light gathering power and portability. The OTA (16kg) is easy to carry in hand, I can fit it into a station wagon with ease and 10" aperture will blow you away at dark sky location. Oh yes, the ORION NEBULA is sensational from my light polluted locale. You can see intricate detail in the core in good seeing and it is very bright

If price, weight, portability are an issue, get a 10" GSO. You can't go wrong!
Old 30-11-2007, 12:17 AM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Why not check out the WSAAG website and come up to the next viewing night at Linden Observatory. You will get goo instruction on how to make the most of what you have, there is at lease a few others with similar scopes. an get to try other scopes as well.

Roger
Old 30-11-2007, 07:21 AM
CoombellKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I can see dust/gas in the ED80! It's very bright, you can even see it binoculars.

The bigger the scope, the more nebulosity you see. With very large apertures, some even start to see some greeny/pinky tinge of colour.
From a dark sky, like my backyard. You can even see it naked eye, with averted vision

regards,CS
Old 30-11-2007, 08:19 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I can see shades of green in M42 through my 10" Dob.
But...
There is more to observing an object than just looking through the eyepiece. It's a skill that you build up over time.
You need to take your time because "The more you look the more you see." Spend at least 10 minutes examining an object so your mind can grasp the detail. Use averted vision to catch more intricate detail, look at it through the corner of your eye, your peripheral vision. Even tapping the side of the eyepiece to get a little wobble up will bring out detail you couldn't see before. You'll need to build up the skills before heading off to find the faint fuzzys.
Old 15-12-2007, 01:50 PM
francis

Help!!!

HI,

I just assembled my new 8 inch Reflector Dobsonian mounted. I have 25mm & 10mm Plossel lens's (1.25) and a 2.5x GSO 3 element Barlow. I have collimated using the laser device which was really easy and will double check with a Cheshire. I also have a 2" inch adapter.

I am wanting to know if this is sufficient / suitable gear to view mars with on a good night? (Victorian)

Also, should I be buying 2" lens's. I am unsure if wider means less magnification?

many many thanks your assistance this enquiry,

Peter M.
Old 15-12-2007, 02:09 PM
CoombellKid

Hi Peter, and welcome to IIS.

In a word Yup! it sure is. I'd be using the 10mm and if the seeing is really
good try throwing the Barlow in with the 10mm. Using the barlow with
your 10mm will give you the eqivilent 4mm. Is your 25mm also 1.25"?

Have fun

regards,CS
Old 15-12-2007, 02:45 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Bravo Peter! You are in business!!

Well, you can see Mars without your telescope - it really sticks out at the moment!! With your telescope, you need to try when it is at its highest, if you can wait up until about 2am at the moment. You'll definitely see the planet as a red/orange disc, but the seeing conditions will determine whether you can see any features on the surface. You just have to try.

2" barrel diameter versus 1.25" barrel diameter eyepieces - Not really an issue of magnification. Various brands make a large range of focal lengths. It is true that, in general, lower magnification eyepieces are generally in the 2" area and higher magnification are often in the 1.25" area. Of more importance, to my understanding, is the apparent field of view of the eyepiece. Different eyepiece designs give a different apparent field of view and sometimes this is limited, as I understand it, to the barrel diameter. 2" eyepieces can also be heavier so telescope balance (for a dob base) can be important - but there are heavy 1.25" eyepieces as well.

As has been said before - best you get familiar with your own equipment and its capablities, then go to some observing evenings and see other equipment in operation. If you ask nicely, you may be able to borrow an eyepiece or two and try it in your own scope.

Tell us what you see!

Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis View Post
HI,

I just assembled my new 8 inch Reflector Dobsonian mounted. I have 25mm & 10mm Plossel lens's (1.25) and a 2.5x GSO 3 element Barlow. I have collimated using the laser device which was really easy and will double check with a Cheshire. I also have a 2" inch adapter.

I am wanting to know if this is sufficient / suitable gear to view mars with on a good night? (Victorian)

Also, should I be buying 2" lens's. I am unsure if wider means less magnification?

many many thanks your assistance this enquiry,

Peter M.
Old 20-12-2007, 02:20 AM
你B
Its only a column of dust

M42 through my 10" on a dark night with a filter is totally green and very bright.

As for Mars - pfffft!
Old 30-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Thanks, My wife and I are currently using a 4.5" reflector but will be upgrading in April. we have been going back and forth between 8 or 10 and your photo has settled the issue. It will be a 10" dob. (the twelve is just too hard ie expensive, to get to the Philippines.)
Old 30-01-2008, 07:03 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

M42 thru my 6" f5 dob with 25mm Plossl is a great sight.
I'm in the city but light polution isn't that bad, can see 5.5mag stars naked eye with last nights moon, and occasionally a 6th mag will flash into view.
This may cause some arguments (flame suit-on) but I definitely see a very slight green tinge in the 6", tho no pink at all. It's not something that sticks out tho. The tinge is only noticable when comparing with the white-ish stars in the same field.
Old 30-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

No flame from. We have a 4.5 reflector and very dark skies. My wife claims a light green tint and I swear to a light purple tint in M42. We agree that it is subtle and definitely needs a dark clear night to see the feint colour.
Brian W
Old 31-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Dujon
SKE

Mbaddah,

You are doing well. I used a wee two inch (50mm) refractor when I viewed the Orion nebula for the first time. I was fortunate to have good 'seeing' and my young son around at the time. Whilst it was not as detailed as some of the images posted here and elsewhere it was the most wonderful sight I'd managed to see at that point in time and my son - in his early teens at a guess - was quite impressed.

Through the refractor it appeared to be green - no hints of red.
Old 31-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Kokatha man

Technicolour and widescreen.......

Well, just for the record, at low/medium mag (approx 50-100x) I see this hairy, maniacal face somewhat akin to Gandalf...............but my wife tells me that it's more like a Walt Disney Merlin; but no matter how much we drink beforehand we can't see colours.....