Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 18-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
any more news on your dec axis?
Hi David,

Not as yet, I have been in regular touch with Tasco and am stepping through the troubleshooting process. I had an email sent back to me today and once I am home and had a chance to digest I will post up here for reference.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 18-11-2013, 11:57 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmeister View Post
Hi David,

Not as yet, I have been in regular touch with Tasco and am stepping through the troubleshooting process. I had an email sent back to me today and once I am home and had a chance to digest I will post up here for reference.

Cheers

Anthony
fair enough
Old 21-11-2013, 05:16 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Just noticed on the SW site that there is new motor controller firmware to fix the spike during autoguiding problem. I have the latest handbox firmware but not updated motor controller.
I'll be doing mine @ the weekend.
http://www.skywatcher.com/downloads.php?cat=4
Old 23-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Hi Everyone,

Looking for people thoughts on this response to my EQ8 Declination Issue, I can tell there is a definite issue in this axis and I have found some other people around the globe with the very same problem.

Anyway this is what was recommended to Sky Watcher to fix my Declination issues. Not really sure if this is an actual solution however?? or if I am just being too fussy??
The motor controller of the EQ8 mount does not support backlash compensation, but the customer does not need to worry about it when he autoguides the mount.

The reasons are:
1. For a good polar alignnment, the driftment in declination is small.
2. Even the guide star does drift due to less perfect polar alighment, change of refraction or system flexure; generally, the drift is slow and in single direction; in this case, you do not want the autoguider to change the guiding signal’s polarity frequently.

We recommend the customer to turn off the backlash compensation function of the autoguider and configure the autoguider to ignor very small driftment in Dec axis(or be less sensitive to it). This will help reduce the autoguiding bounce in Dec axis, in most case, caused by atmosphere turbulance.

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Cheers

Anthony
Old 28-11-2013, 11:59 AM
WingnutR32 (Sam)

I cannot provide any thoughts to SkyWatchers reply, Anthony, however I am interested to hear how you are getting on with the issue?

I note that your blog hasn't been updated since the 16th, so not sure if you have had any more chances of clear night use.
Old 28-11-2013, 07:44 PM
m701f3 (Frank)

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my new EQ8 today from Bintel in Melbourne but guess what? It’s raining. Anyway I hope the EQ8 turns out to be as good as it looks on paper. I will be mounting a C14 and C5 on it along with a guide scope and provision for a piggyback modified 5D MkII DSLR. Since the scopes were originally on fork mounts the C14 had to undergo some pretty major surgery to accept 3 Losmandy C14 dovetail plates. One serves as the primary mount, one to carry the C5 in piggyback and the DSLR mount and another for the guide scope. I took the opportunity to completely overhaul the OTA’s, covering all internal non-sliding, non optical surfaces with flocking material and adding socket head adjusting screws for the corrector plates, four for the C14 and three for the C5.
A Starizona Hyperstar lens and feather-touch focusing system is on the way from the US and after final conversion the system will be able to work at F1.9, F5.9, F10 and F11.
Hoping to get it all up and running in the next week or two.
Old 28-11-2013, 09:30 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m701f3 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my new EQ8 today from Bintel in Melbourne but guess what? It’s raining. Anyway I hope the EQ8 turns out to be as good as it looks on paper. I will be mounting a C14 and C5 on it along with a guide scope and provision for a piggyback modified 5D MkII DSLR. Since the scopes were originally on fork mounts the C14 had to undergo some pretty major surgery to accept 3 Losmandy C14 dovetail plates. One serves as the primary mount, one to carry the C5 in piggyback and the DSLR mount and another for the guide scope. I took the opportunity to completely overhaul the OTA’s, covering all internal non-sliding, non optical surfaces with flocking material and adding socket head adjusting screws for the corrector plates, four for the C14 and three for the C5.
A Starizona Hyperstar lens and feather-touch focusing system is on the way from the US and after final conversion the system will be able to work at F1.9, F5.9, F10 and F11.
Hoping to get it all up and running in the next week or two.
congratulations looks like you have a big project ahead
Old 29-11-2013, 05:08 PM
m701f3 (Frank)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmeister View Post
Hi David,

Yep got out last weekend and wow these things are great to use. the guiding graph is soooooo smooth.

Very happy camper indeed. I do have a small concern over the declination axis that I am exploring as it feels a bit loose. When I spoke with the Australian Distributor they eluded to a known problem but am awaiting some more details. I don't want to speculate till I have all the information at hand.

As an aside it didn't seem to impact the final product when imaging so it may be a nothing issue in the end.

Cheers

Anthony
If your concern is a loose Dec axis as a result of excessive backlash, then the following may help.
After picking up my own EQ8 yesterday, I had a look at the Dec axis drive on a friend's unit. The worm is mounted in a separate block to the worm wheel support and is driven through a flexible coupling by the stepper motor. This block is mounted from the underside of the Dec axis stepper motor drive and being separate to the worm wheel mount the backlash can be adjusted by moving the relative positions of the worm wheel and worm. Moving the worm towards the worm wheel (reducing backlash) or away from the worm wheel (increasing the backlash). You would have to test the drive by doing at least one full revolution of the worm wheel checking the backlash at every tooth with feeler gauges or dial indicator and making any adjustments at the tightest spot where there is the least backlash. To do it at any other point may result in binding of the worm and worm wheel and overloading the drive motor.
Taking the Dec axis drive apart may void your warranty, but if Tasco don't fix the problem it may be your only solution. I would have to warn you that if you do not feel competent in making mechanical adjustments and checking the backlash with feeler gauges or dial indicator then don't touch it. If you decide to go down this path there are plenty of people around who would be able to make the adjustments. But this would be a last resort if Tasco do not come up with the goods.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Old 30-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Hi Everyone,

Haven't had a chance to use the mount since last new moon so no updates as yet, I will be trying the recommendations from Tasco to see fi I can improve things a bit more. I do fear it will need adjusting but this weekends new moon (if the rain stops) will be the decider I think.

I am not prepared to touch the mount unless Tasco say in writing that it is OK to do so as I do not want to void the warranty on it.

It is worth noting that while the Dec axis may have some play in it I believe I can compensate for it as per some instructions by Tasco, once I have confirmed this over the weekend I will post up the details.

I will post back here when I get back after the weekend.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 30-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Star Hunter

EQ8: Head available only?

Has anyone heard on the rumor vine of the EQ8 being sold without tripod and pier? Seems it's happening over in the UK. Not sure if it will happen here just yet, but my inside sources say in could be as early as Feb/Mar next year. That being so, the price will be much lower too. Also, when the new Synscan firmware comes out early next year as well, it will have some exciting new features to make you smile and enjoy...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Hunter View Post
Has anyone heard on the rumor vine of the EQ8 being sold without tripod and pier? Seems it's happening over in the UK. Not sure if it will happen here just yet, but my inside sources say in could be as early as Feb/Mar next year. That being so, the price will be much lower too. Also, when the new Synscan firmware comes out early next year as well, it will have some exciting new features to make you smile and enjoy...
any firmware rumours you'd like to start
i thought the prices were more expensive in the UK/euro even though it was just the head ... but i could be wrong!!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
coldknights (Cathy)

New firmware on their site ! 3.35 I think and maybe a new 1 but you would have to look.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

EQ8 Update

Hi Everyone,

OK so a bit of an update on my EQ8, I have managed to "work around" the declination issue I had by making sure the worm gear mesh is in the right spot for my imaging target it's a bit more fiddling on set up but otherwise easy enough to manage and fixes the problem fully.

I did however have a big issue last weekend with the RA gear binding up near the meridian . I was a bit dismayed when it happened and was quickly followed but a large chunk of expletives.......

I followed up with Tasco on my return home from a warranty view point as during the heat of the moment on the evening I was imaging I determined it was going back to be replaced. However, I have since calmed down and I have had a chat to Rob at Tasco about the issue. He has been great during the whole process and consulted the engineers in Canada for some guidance on the issue. There was no question where the problem was and that the mount needed an adjustment.

Initially I was asked to send this back for repairs however given it's size and weight and after speaking with Rob about it and my employment history (mechanical technician in the Defence Force and having had years of experience in adjusting equipment of similar nature) I have been given instructions on how to adjust the worm gear mesh and assurance I will not void my warranty in doing so.

After an initial review of the details this looks a pretty straight forward procedure and I will do this ASAP and retest (probably next weekend).

Some interesting feedback and a real credit to Sky Watcher is all the issues that do get reported are taken back to the factory and reviewed to ensure future mounts are improved where needed as can be seen in some of the early changes to the EQ8's, sometimes manufacturers don't always get it right the first time but Sky Watcher are dead set keen to make sure they keep improving things as they go.

Anyway I will update once I have had a chance to adjust and will let you know how it all goes.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 14-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

EQ8 Pier Adapter Plate

I am reusing a pier that was carrying my Losmandy GM8 and needed an adapter plate to carry the EQ8. By scouring this forum and others I collected sufficient information to complete the attached drawing which might be a useful resource for others. I had a local machine shop in Bathurst complete the work and took delivery of the pier today with the new adapter plate installed. All looks ok so far in that everything that is supposed to move does and everything that should not move does not.

For those interested in following the construction of the new home for the EQ8, a link to the observatory page on my Pbase site is here:

http://www.pbase.com/ryderscope/obse...y_construction

Rodney W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Telescope Pier Adaptor Plate v2_2.jpg)
79.1 KB123 views
Old 14-12-2013, 12:34 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
I am reusing a pier that was carrying my Losmandy GM8 and needed an adapter plate to carry the EQ8. By scouring this forum and others I collected sufficient information to complete the attached drawing which might be a useful resource for others. I had a local machine shop in Bathurst complete the work and took delivery of the pier today with the new adapter plate installed. All looks ok so far in that everything that is supposed to move does and everything that should not move does not.

For those interested in following the construction of the new home for the EQ8, a link to the observatory page on my Pbase site is here:

http://www.pbase.com/ryderscope/obse...y_construction

Rodney W.
That's fantastic. It certainly looks the goods. How much for the making of the adapter plate? To use on my pier I would need it to be square as I have 4 bolts on my obseratory pier. Always wondered how eqmod would work in the observatory ? Like the rest of the pics on the site as well. Nice place for an observatory
Old 14-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

The cost for the adapter plate was $500. The pier itself was made by a local welding shop a couple of years back for $150. I have attached some pics of the pier with adapter plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0728.jpg)
74.0 KB113 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0729.jpg)
87.6 KB104 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0730.jpg)
81.7 KB150 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0731.jpg)
95.6 KB142 views
Old 22-12-2013, 09:14 PM
coldknights (Cathy)

Well Santa had troubles dropping this EQ8 Mount with his Seigh and said OH&S problems with the weight of the boxes gross weight on box 1 being 41kg second box 52kg and third and forth boxes 10kg gross weight each .
Rudolph now has 3 disc's out and out of action and Santa said go and pick it up yourself so we did and now have to wait for Xmas day to open.
Looking forward to using the new mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
193.5 KB79 views
Old 22-12-2013, 09:36 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldknights View Post
Well Santa had troubles dropping this EQ8 Mount with his Seigh and said OH&S problems with the weight of the boxes gross weight on box 1 being 41kg second box 52kg and third and forth boxes 10kg gross weight each .
Rudolph now has 3 disc's out and out of action and Santa said go and pick it up yourself so we did and now have to wait for Xmas day to open.
Looking forward to using the new mount.
you must be excited given the shaken in the photo - congratulations!
Old 22-12-2013, 09:47 PM
coldknights (Cathy)

Hi David yes very excited after the long drive to Melbourne on the road for more than nine hours today !
so after we got the mount unloaded from the 4WD was a effort had to slide it down a wide plank of wood to get it out safely then onto a trolley.
Yes we are so excited to get the new mount and was a bit shaky from the sheer excitement .
Come on Xmas day hurry up !!!!
Gingle bells and all that Santa turn the clock forward till the 25th.
Old 22-12-2013, 10:46 PM
batema (Mark)

Have a great Christmas. Not a bad present.