Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Hmmm, are you already using that firmware version?
yep
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
h0ughy (David)

has anyone made a adapter plate for a pier - not reusing the one off the mount
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
has anyone made a adapter plate for a pier - not reusing the one off the mount
Yeah, you can buy an offcut from a round aluminium bar. Dirt cheap. . I got a 200mm diameter by 100mm thick. Drilled the center and tapped to bolt the head and 3 holes at 120 degrees for the levelling on the pier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pier_head.jpg)
20.8 KB293 views
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
yep
Hmmm, maybe write back to explain that it already was

i've decided to investigate EQMOD ...
Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

I am pleased to announce that I am now the very proud owner of an EQ8 which has seen first light this weekend. Much fun was had by all. I want to thank all of the contributers to this forum for the excellent advice and tips, particularly with the balance issue which I found very soon during the process of setting up the mount. My day (night) was saved with the post and photo by Peter on 26 June which showed the additional bar attached to the mounting points for the optional polar scope.

My answer to the balance issue was to to use some spare Losmandy "C" style dovetail parts that I had lurking about in my spare bits and pieces (see attached photos). Only needed some drilling, spare hex bolts and a couple of washers and all was fine. And yes - that is a spare Losmandy 7 lb weight that I am using. The supplied 10Kg weight was just a little too heavy for my set up.

It is a times like this that one appreciates the value of these forums and the exchange of tips and ideas.

Thanks again all and clear skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0662 - Copy (600x800).jpg)
89.5 KB381 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0664 (800x600).jpg)
66.5 KB370 views
Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Rodney,
Looks like you found a good work around solution....
I suppose if this is a common problem it won't be long before some 3rd party supplier comes up with an elegant (but expensive!) fix.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Hmmm, maybe a business opportunity perhaps? Surprising that JMI hasn't got one already! Actually thinking about it, if I look at the original purchase prices of the long C style bar, short C style bar and C style mount head that I am using, the $ would be adding up quite considerably.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
And yes - that is a spare Losmandy 7 lb weight that I am using. The supplied 10Kg weight was just a little too heavy for my set up.
My prefered solution would have been to buy a bigger scope

Last edited by AstroJunk; 09-10-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

How well you have read my mind .....the good thing about this mount is that allows plenty of room for future growth.
Old 18-10-2013, 04:14 PM
m701f3 (Frank)

Guide camera to use on EQ8

I am thinking about ordering an EQ8 mount and I want to select as a guide camera using ASCOM pulse guiding. The proposed setup is a camera feeding data to PHD through the 'telescope" setting, and PHD sending its data to EQASCOM which will modify its PEC corrections to the EQ8 mount. I specifically want to avoid the use of the ST-4 system directly to the mount as this will result in two sets of instruction going to the mount one being PEC adjusted instructions from EQASCOM (EQMOD) and the other being the ST-4 auto guide instructions.

Can anyone suggest the camera best suited to this job and what cabling would be necessary?
Thanks in anticipation,
Frank
Old 18-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Frank,
Whether or not you use ASCOM pulse or ST-4 direct you will always have separate guide commands issued to the mount.....
ASCOM pulse pre-supposes you will be using EQMod rather than the Synscan handcontroller...
I use EQMod but also use ST-4/ PHD guiding on a NEQ6pro with my Lodestar camera.
No issues, no drama.....
Old 18-10-2013, 06:39 PM
m701f3 (Frank)

Ken,
Thanks for the response. I have been guided by the EQASCOM & AutoGuiding pdf published by EQMOD. The very last paragraph of which reads "For those using the EQMOD EASCOM driver the good news is that the Pulse Guiding implementation has been carefully designed to work alongside PEC. I would not however advise the use of PEC with ST-4 guiding for the Synta mounts."

Because of this I decided to use pulse guiding only with connection from the computer to the mount via Shoestring USB2-EQ5 cable.
Is the Lodestar capable of USB input/output from camera to computer and then to mount via EQMOD or is it ST-4 only via the auto guide port?
Cheers,
Frank
Old 19-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

As I understand it, any guide camera with a USB connection can be used. Your guiding software has to be set up to suit the EQAscom.

Cameras like the Lodestar have the "optional" ST-4 port, which could be ignored.
I don't use the Pulse guiding but I'm sure many EQMod users do.
Old 19-10-2013, 11:01 AM
m701f3 (Frank)

Ken,
Yes, thanks for the information. I was getting confused because the Lodestar website says the USB port as "input" which made me think it was for power supply only. I shot off an r-mail to them last night and they informed me that the USB port is bi-directional and so the USB and ST-4 can be used as two different guiding systems. I see it now.
Old 20-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

New EQ8

Hi Everyone,

Just picked up my new EQ8 mount yesterday . My thanks go to Peter at AstroPete's for making my long time dream of getting one of these mounts come true . Now to wait for the clouds to clear so I can have a play.

Also thanks to the early adopters here in IIS for their constant feedback and updates on events and the performance of this mount.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 06-11-2013, 12:16 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmeister View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just picked up my new EQ8 mount yesterday . My thanks go to Peter at AstroPete's for making my long time dream of getting one of these mounts come true . Now to wait for the clouds to clear so I can have a play.

Also thanks to the early adopters here in IIS for their constant feedback and updates on events and the performance of this mount.

Cheers

Anthony
so have you managed to have a good play with it?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Star Hunter

[QUOTE=Grimmeister;1026132]Hi Everyone,

You will love this mount. I have one too! BTW, you paid too much for that mount. FYI, the Maidenwell Observatory is an agent for SW, Bresser and IOptron equipment.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Hunter View Post
You will love this mount. I have one too! BTW, you paid too much for that mount. FYI, the Maidenwell Observatory is an agent for SW, Bresser and IOptron equipment.
I am not so sure about that as you assume I paid RRP for it and you do not know any other considerations in the purchase price/agreement . But that's between myself and Peter.

Good to know Maidenwell Observatory is an agent as it is good to have options when shopping, however Peter is a top notch bloke and looks after his customers so he has my dedicated business as my first point of contact for all things astronomy.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Quote:
so have you managed to have a good play with it?
Hi David,

Yep got out last weekend and wow these things are great to use. the guiding graph is soooooo smooth.

Very happy camper indeed. I do have a small concern over the declination axis that I am exploring as it feels a bit loose. When I spoke with the Australian Distributor they eluded to a known problem but am awaiting some more details. I don't want to speculate till I have all the information at hand.

As an aside it didn't seem to impact the final product when imaging so it may be a nothing issue in the end.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 18-11-2013, 12:27 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmeister View Post
Hi David,

Yep got out last weekend and wow these things are great to use. the guiding graph is soooooo smooth.

Very happy camper indeed. I do have a small concern over the declination axis that I am exploring as it feels a bit loose. When I spoke with the Australian Distributor they eluded to a known problem but am awaiting some more details. I don't want to speculate till I have all the information at hand.

As an aside it didn't seem to impact the final product when imaging so it may be a nothing issue in the end.

Cheers

Anthony
any more news on your dec axis?