Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-09-2022, 03:55 PM
dikman (Richard)

Canon EOS1500D for astro help.

As the title says - help. A couple or so years ago I bought a Celestron 6SE, it came with quite a few bits including the Canon 1500D, which the guy said he'd used with the 'scope. Never used it, but the other day I got the urge to try it out, once the weather is better (). I've done lots of reading and watching of youtube vids but am still somewhat perplexed.

It came with the camera adapter, extension tube and 1.25" fitting, there is also a Celestron Barlow that screws into the adapter and/or extension tube. I finally figured out that I have to fit an eyepiece into the extension tube and then I can sort of see something (please don't laugh too much, I couldn't find anything explaining the principle behind this stuff and how these things fit together!). I'm using a Nextstar 102 SLT for this, f/l is 660mm. At the moment I'm probably looking at a tree approx. 1km away, farthest thing I can see, and can just get it in focus. Presumably it will be better as the distance increases?

So, questions -
What are the principles behind the size eyepiece to use?
When should the Barlow be used?
What settings should I use on the camera?
I intend to try planetary and DSO, I'm under no illusions about the results but I have the gear and would like to experiment a bit. The 'scope is mounted on a basic equatorial with electric drive on one axis. If I get bitten by the bug (I sort of hope not!) then I'll obviously be going down the inevitable upgrade path.

Oh, and I've got an SVBony 305pro coming, that's what triggered this sudden interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (camera adapter a.jpg)
111.0 KB34 views
Old 28-09-2022, 03:47 PM
dikman (Richard)

Hmm, the response has been underwhelming. No matter as I eventually found a youtube vid that explained, in words of one syllable, the difference between prime focus and eyepiece projection with a camera (makes it hard to ask a question when you don't know the correct terminology).

I can now take photos using just the t-adapter (I don't know why it wouldn't work before, I just couldn't get things in focus ). One day, when I can see something besides cloud or fog, I may be able to put some of this new-found knowledge to use.