Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 AM
troppo

Smile Buying a Telescope

Hello All. My first post.
I have been reading this forum and many others on Astronomy for a number of years. It seems I have still a lot to learn. I have been using binoculars all this time, but by reading these forums I seem to be missing out on a lot of fun. I am now in a position to purchase a telescope. I have been reading about the Mead telescopes, in particular the 12" RCX400 and the 12" LX200R GPS. What are the pros and cons of each, as they appear to be very similar. I intend to use it for all space observations including photography.

Thankyou
Old 05-12-2007, 03:50 PM
coldspace

Hi there,

The RCX and LX200R have the Advanced RC optics in them which is more aimed at the Photographer than a standard cassergrain scope. Meade has suspended the RCX line because it was very reliant on electronic's etc and they were having alot of teething issues with them. I just ordered the 12 200R as I mainly do visual at the moment but want to get into imaging down the track. The 12 200R fork mount is very heavy at around 34 kgs so make sure you can handle the weight before buying one as they are alot of $. If your not going to get into imaging then maybe look at an LX90 but the 12 inch are not very stable compared to the LX200 series. I still wanted very sharp visual use as well and when looking at saturn one night through a 10inch LX90 and a 10inch 200R you could see a mild improvement. The 200R has more features that you will probally ever use this coupled with short tube, great optics and good all round use both visually and imaging is the reason why I got one. As they say any improvement in design for a camera is also not going to be a negative for visual use as well.

Regards Matt.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:10 PM
coldspace

Sorry, you asked for pro's and con's for each, well I will add some from my limited knowledge and I am sure you will get alot more information from the other helpfull people here.

1: LX 200r 12inch fork mount is very heavy. Around 34Kgs.
2: LX 200 series is a tried and tested system with parts availible.
3: You will need a focul reducer for imaging.
4: If fork mounted you will need a wedge or field de-rotator for long exposure imaging.
5:Superb optics for price.
6: The RCX unit is very reliant on electronics and is suspended from manufacturing because of problems.
7: At the moment the LX200R is still made in USA but they may start making them in a foreign country where quality control may suffer so if you are serious about getting one get in soon.

Regards Matt.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

I've just been involved with the purchase of an 8" LX200R and I couldn't beleive how heavy it is! I can't lift it in the box at the moment, and that's a worry - how am I going to get it in and out of my car?! If you're thinking a 12" LX200 I think you might have to keep it permanently mounted or else invest in a gym membership!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 AM
troppo

Question Buying a Telescope

Hello Again
Thanks for the replies. I also found out that the RCX400 has been suspended due to the factory moving. I will now concentrate on the 12" lx200R. What is one expected to pay for this and where would be a good place to buy from.

Thankyou

Cheers for Christmas

Troppo
Old 12-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Zuts

Hi,

Bintel are dealers for Meade equipment. LX200R's are quite expensive, a 12 inch one will cost around $8,000 new. A similar scope for less money may be a Celestron CPC 11 from Andrews, these are around $5,000 new.

Both scopes are fork mounted so would not be suitable for deep sky imaging unless you also got a wedge. They would be fine for planetary imaging though.

Paul
Old 13-12-2007, 11:03 PM
coldspace

My 12 inch arrived today and what a machine it is standing up in the loungeroom. It is heavy but I still had no problem lifting it out of the box and mounting it on the tripod by myself. I got the get-a-grip handles installed and the mounting assistant as well to make it easier. I must say that these two accesories are a must if you want to mount a scope this size by your self. What they say on other forums about these accesories is true. If you are a strong person in good shape and you want a 12 200R and are prepared to cart this to a dark sky site then go for it. I was glad I got the 12 now instead of the 10 as I would have wanted to get the larger one in a few months.

Matt.
Old 14-12-2007, 12:02 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Good luck Matt,
That is a monster first scope mate!!
Cheers
Doug
Old 14-12-2007, 10:37 PM
coldspace

Tks Doug,

Its actually my 4th scope. I started out with a 60mm cheap refractor like alot of us about 15ys ago. Got out of the hobby for a while but then got an 8inch newt and a 5 inch mak for camping 3-4 yrs ago and now a really serious machine, and I must say it really makes coming home from work today very exciting seeing this thing taking up half the loungeroom. I can see myself getting alot of satisfaction for a long time with this beauty.I still have all my other scopes and I think my wife is getting to the edge but I have the kids for back up,Pity about the bloody clouds in Brisbane at the moment. I probally have recked it for everyone now on the eastern seaboard. I might disappear for a while.

Matt.
Old 15-12-2007, 02:01 AM
norm

Great stuff Matt.

You're going to have to show us some pics !!!