Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-10-2022, 07:50 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilsh View Post
Do you use pixinsight for post processing? If you do, I would highly recommend using wbpp in pixinsight. Makes stacking with multiple filters over multiple nights a breeze. I am very much a beginner but I have found it very useful for the few multinight imaging I have done.

Regards,

Dilshan
Hi Dilshan,
I started looking at PI and PS back in 2017 and needed a science degree in Astrophysics to use them. Then found Startools a few months later and Wow , what a different approach to image processing, streamlined so many operations.
I’ve used it ever since. Ivo the developer is currently working Version 9 which is exciting news
Attached is a 2021 video which gives you an insight into Startools and the differences with traditional image processing like Pixinsight

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Luu2-BMXzc

Cheers
Martin
Old 18-10-2022, 07:52 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I have used Astronomik, Baader and Astrodon (current).

Astrodon are the best I have used.

Astronomik are very thin at 1mm and some filter wheels won't take them without a packer (extra cost). I don't recommend them because of that. I haven't quite forgiven Gerd for selling me a set without spacers knowing full well I would need them. He then came out with the spacers and wanted extra dollars for them.

Baader are not bad but blue and green could be separated more and they are not parfocal despite claims they are.

Astrodons are expensive but they are parfocal on my scopes and I usually use the luminance filter to focus and keep it at that for all the filters.
3nm filters though cost a fortune.

No experience with the other filter manufacturers you mention.

Greg.
Thanks Greg
Old 18-10-2022, 08:39 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I did the same thing as you Martin started on a canon 600d, purhcased up 2" filters for future proofing (ended up with a qhy22m then a qhy163, and now finally need the 2" filters with a zwo 6200.
I don't think you can really go too wrong, these days it seems most filter makers have reflections well enough under control. ive got baaders / astronomiks they do well enough for me, its more question if you want the best of the best then you have to pay a lot more for it. its really personal choice, there isn't really a bad choice. I have seen people post the differences going from 6-8nm down to 3nm and there is some improvement - will most people see it hard to know?
Old 18-10-2022, 09:39 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
I did the same thing as you Martin started on a canon 600d, purhcased up 2" filters for future proofing (ended up with a qhy22m then a qhy163, and now finally need the 2" filters with a zwo 6200.
I don't think you can really go too wrong, these days it seems most filter makers have reflections well enough under control. ive got baaders / astronomiks they do well enough for me, its more question if you want the best of the best then you have to pay a lot more for it. its really personal choice, there isn't really a bad choice. I have seen people post the differences going from 6-8nm down to 3nm and there is some improvement - will most people see it hard to know?
Thanks Russell,
Great advice
As I image from both ends of the LP spectrum, for Narrowband, the 3nm filters are a must, but like you mention most of popular brands do a pretty good job. I just can’t see myself spending +$10k on Astrodon or Chroma filters as an amateur enjoying AP as a hobby
The Antlia filters at less than a 1/3 of the cost seem to be performing extremely well from reviews over the past 6 months

Cheers
Martin
Old 19-10-2022, 03:20 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Dilshan,
I started looking at PI and PS back in 2017 and needed a science degree in Astrophysics to use them. Then found Startools a few months later and Wow , what a different approach to image processing, streamlined so many operations.
I’ve used it ever since. Ivo the developer is currently working Version 9 which is exciting news
Attached is a 2021 video which gives you an insight into Startools and the differences with traditional image processing like Pixinsight

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Luu2-BMXzc

Cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin, I'll have a look
Old 25-10-2022, 01:04 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Thanks Stephane
Plenty of views but no comments
I’ve noticed in the past 6 months the fall off in active numbers participating and commenting in this forum, maybe to do with the weather and the economy , it has been the worst year I can recall
I’m sure someone out there has used the Antlia filters but just hasn’t seen the post yet

Going Mono is a significant transition and upgrade in dollars , skill and time and it’s prudent to do the research before jumping in the deep end. Having the OSC for a number of years will help

Clear Skies
Martin
I agree Martin. There has been a big drop off in the activity in this forum. TBH I don't come on here very much anymore. I prefer Cloudy Nights or Stargazers. Much more active community.
Old 25-10-2022, 09:03 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
I agree Martin. There has been a big drop off in the activity in this forum. TBH I don't come on here very much anymore. I prefer Cloudy Nights or Stargazers. Much more active community.
I disagree with this sentiment - IIS feels a lot more like a "local pub" with regulars that know each other.

CN is like a crowded shopping centre - a blizzard of noise and fragments of conversation you're not interested in hearing whilst searching for that one thing you need.

There is something to be said for quality over quantity...