Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-03-2012, 03:15 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Sky wire and ipods

I've had my HEQ5pro and scope for a year or so and learnt aligning etc. I'm thinking of using sky wire and an ipod touch with sky safari pro to control the telescope. Has anyone done this? Is it a bit of a lazy way to learn the night sky instead of using star charts? Not sure if I should... Matt
Old 21-03-2012, 05:27 PM
kustard (Simon)
Great Sage == Heaven

Hi Matthew,

I use a SkyFi and SkySafariPro (running on an iPad) with both my CPC9.25 and XX14g and it's a great tool for helping you find objects that you might ordinarily miss.

I spent quite a few years learning the sky by star hopping and reading laminated star charts and that certainly helps in identifying what is up at that time of the year but the computerised systems these days helps in speeding up observations and the like. I don't think it's lazy as it will also help you learn what is in the sky at the same time.

This is what my iPad looks like on my XX14g:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ipad_xx14g.jpg)
170.9 KB77 views
Old 21-03-2012, 10:56 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Thanks Simon, Lazy probably wasn't the right word, any way to find my way around up there is good. My only reservation about the ipod is it doesn't have a compass in it and the screen is kinda small , which may be a good thing from battery usage. I get a lot of LP from a near by railway station and hope skysafari can fill in the missing bits. Matt
Old 21-03-2012, 11:31 PM
jamiep (Jamie)

Sky safari/sky wire /sky fi ... Are all great gadgets ... But. Agree ... Much better on an iPad screen if you can.

Really handy for outreach stuff also, and just he gadget factor!

Can thoroughly recommend.

Jamie
Old 23-03-2012, 09:06 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

for the replies, am going with the ipod at the moment as thats what I have, maybe move to an ipad in the future "borrow" my better half's one...
Old 23-03-2012, 03:49 PM
kustard (Simon)
Great Sage == Heaven

I was running SkySafari on my iPhone for a while before getting an iPad and yeah the bigger screen is a better, but the way SkySafari is present you wont have any trouble using it on the smaller screen. I don't often use the gyro/compass features so it's not a great loss when compared to how much use you'll get out of it.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 23-03-2012, 05:25 PM
beren

I use the Skywire with my ipod/iphone, Sky safari is great. Works well with my mount just wish the cable had a locking mechanism when attaching the I devices. Battery life could be a problem with prolonged use, unless i'm doing it wrong you need to go into settings to prevent the ipod/iphone going into standby and losing connection with your mount.
Old 24-03-2012, 02:41 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Beren, is the setting you mean auto lock? Changing it to never is the thing to do I guess. Have just bought the app and looks amazing... now for the skywire...Cheers Matt
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
GraemeT (Graeme)
Learning fast

I was pig headed enough to think that I didn't need any goto to find my way around the sky. Then I bought a Meade ETX and paired it with an iPad and Sky Safari. Using the Sky Safari to guide the scope is far easier than the Meade hand controller and has made viewing sessions much more enjoyable.
That said, I still have fun star hopping with my dob.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 AM
ourkind (Carlos)
There is no substitute

Hi Matt,

How did you go? I too have a Skywatcher HEQ5PRO and am very interested in knowing if you purchased SkiFi or Skywire?

I currently use the 3 star alignment method with the syncscan hand controller and then refer to Skysafari for things to look at.

best regards.

Carlos.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Carlos,
I purchased the Pro version on my ipod and thats as far as I got. Sold the HEQ5 Pro a little while ago and am using an EQ5 manual mount...one day an EQ6 or EQ8 not sure which, but I'd like to have it all set up permanently. I really enjoy Sky Safari on the ipod and often have a quick look a great learning tool. I'll get the SkyFi when I do though wireless is so easy the less wires around the better, so for now I use it as a map and star hop with the EQ mount.
I was unsure if an ipod's screen was big enough to use skysafari and it is, an ipad would be better.
Cheers Matt

Last edited by MattT; 10-08-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add more