Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2020, 12:23 AM
Hemi

Pup popped out

I’ve never seen the pup convincingly. A bit disappointing really as I’m mostly a visual observer. As I’ve mentioned before though I’m doing a fair bit of EAA when it’s really hot outside. Anyway I was reading Jerry Rodriguez’s article on splitting Sirius photographically, so thought I would try in real-time.

Live video was amazing
Sharpcap at the fastest capture rate, gain turned gradually down just enough, until the Pup popped out!
ASI 294mc. C925 Meade f6.3 reducer azeq6 (eq)
The pic: 1300 frames, autostakkert then RegiStax (I’m a complete beginner in any type of processing Outside sharpcap, and certainly with both of these software).

I know it’s pretty crude/basic so any tips will be good.

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Pup Autostakkert Registax.jpg)
15.4 KB86 views
Old 11-05-2020, 05:39 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Well done!

Increase your image scale, if you can get the focal length up to 5000mm then there is much greater separation and it should split readily with your camera on a night of reasonable seeing. Visually, its a target for those nights with superb seeing when your image holds strong at 3-400x

I've attached a similar shot I took some time back and you can see how that extra FL helps it pop.

Your capture technique is great
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (sirius.jpg)
16.9 KB50 views
Old 11-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Hemi

Thanks Jonathan,

Wow that’s a nice image! I will try for more focal length. Initially with just stock (without reducer) and then with a 2xbarlow, which will give me almost 5000. Ive not had much luck imaging with a Barlow in the chain.

Splitting doubles seems to suit EAA. It might be an activity for bright nights. Otherwise i like Galaxies mainly with the C925 (EAA)

Cheers

Hemi
Old 11-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hemi,

Something else that might help is a Bhatinov mask for focussing.. assuming you aren't using one already?

Will help in general terms anyway with your EAA... just wack it on, point at a bright star & adjust focus til the spicules line up properly...

Much more accurate than just trying to do it by eye...

Cheers
Old 11-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Hemi

Thanks Carlton, i have a new toy (ZWO EAF), that I’m trying to get to grips with. Currently just manually driving it within sharpcap. I cant puzzle out how to use SC’s Autofocus routine.
I’m sure my focus could be better. In fact I shamefully didn’t refocus that night (from the night before), let alone several times a night!

Best

Hemi
Old 16-05-2020, 09:08 AM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
I’ve never seen the pup convincingly. A bit disappointing really as I’m mostly a visual observer. As I’ve mentioned before though I’m doing a fair bit of EAA when it’s really hot outside. Anyway I was reading Jerry Rodriguez’s article on splitting Sirius photographically, so thought I would try in real-time.

Live video was amazing
Sharpcap at the fastest capture rate, gain turned gradually down just enough, until the Pup popped out!
ASI 294mc. C925 Meade f6.3 reducer azeq6 (eq)
The pic: 1300 frames, autostakkert then RegiStax (I’m a complete beginner in any type of processing Outside sharpcap, and certainly with both of these software).

I know it’s pretty crude/basic so any tips will be good.

Thanks for looking
Hemi,
I am a bit like you, I have never convincingly seen the pup.
Nice to see an image of it though.
Paul