Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2015, 12:03 AM
BruceG (Bruce)

full moon multipanel mosaic gone wrong

Well this time I put the 2" big barlow in the chain to see if I could get much closer to the lunar action. The full moon needs 12 panels to be sure I don't miss anything and alas, even then I have slices missing. Bum!
Anyway, I have a lot more detail in this one as the final PNG file is over 16mb. Worth another go me thinks....
Bruce.

Edit - the second shot is a crop from the mosaic showing the Copernicus and Keppler craters and the radiating debris fields.
Can anyone instruct me how to avoid the bright white edge lower left horizon? Also here is some interference lines across the left that may have been a light switch turning on or something. It was only a very small part of the video that showed this interference, but no matter how I stacked that panel i could fully get rid of it. Any suggestions to overcome this are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon 12 panel stitch (Large).jpg)
88.4 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (Moon 12 panel stitch  cropPS (Large).jpg)
131.1 KB43 views

Last edited by BruceG; 03-07-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:31 AM
raymo

Absolutely.
raymo
Old 03-07-2015, 06:20 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Been there, done that meself ..

Nice image all the same .... although personally I'd reduce the brightness a bit to show more detail.

Your lower white edge is possibly a processing artefact from sharpening and or contrast enhancement.
Your interference .... ain't seen anything like that before. Can you give us some more technical details ? Camera, frame count, processing software. Is it visible in single frames in just the one capture ?.
Almost like dew or something on the camera window\sensor but then I'd expect it to be visble elswhere in other captures for the mosaic
It may be a mosaic processing issue.

Fun eh ?
Old 03-07-2015, 12:31 PM
BruceG (Bruce)

Thanks for the insight Brent, camera was Canon 1000D set to 1/60" 800 ISO i think. Frame count was 500 and I set limit to lowest Quality 95% and max frames to 50. The panel that had the interference - it was visible in the video when I played it back but in the 30 second playback it was only visible for maybe 1 second around 2/3 of the way through the grab. I thought that the limit settings would eliminate it but alas it didn't. The white margin started to be visible when I was playing with the wavelets. have never needed to play with them before so it is all a big mystery.
A friend suggested I look at "Main Sequence" and its add on's to automate the mosaics but I am not sure I want to fork out $150 USD with my setup.
My scope is way too short in FL to image planets and so it would only be for the moon and solar (in white light- with a solar filter of course).