Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-07-2014, 06:35 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Who Remembers This . . . . .

You'll be showing your AGE here if you know this. . . . I know what it means.....

' Bob a Job ' .... and where did it originate . . . . us ' old school ' fellas would know.

Flash .....

Last edited by FlashDrive; 15-07-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 15-07-2014, 06:58 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Ok i'll admit to being that old! I remember doing my bit for three years. Weeding, mowing lawns etc.

Paul
Old 15-07-2014, 07:10 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

I certainly remember having to to Bob-a-job week every year for several years... It's gone the way of the dodo now though....

Although at 30 I wouldn't exactly call myself old... Hehehe

Edit: just realized the last time I had to do bob-a-job would have been about 20 years ago, perhaps I should retract that statement about not being old...hehe

Davin
Old 15-07-2014, 07:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I came in with 35 shillings one year and it was a bob each job no tips either.
OK did you see sputnik ..I did right over head perfect view at Junee 10 yers old.
Two weeks later an art competition at school subject SPEED... I painted sputnik on on side and the Earth on the other and artistically it was a motionless image but I won first prise cause sputnik was the fastest thing to date..I worked for a man who was alive before planes flew the sky. I goto be the oldest on this forum maybe..1947
Old 15-07-2014, 08:06 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Yep done that as well, I can remember getting some pretty hard tasks for that bob, some would pay more than the customary shilling, others would get you to stack a ton of wood and mow the lawn and only give a shilling.

Alex, re- Sputnik, I named my dog that just after the launch date, he had a habit of grabbing my trouser cuff and orbiting around my leg, the name was very appropriate.
Old 15-07-2014, 08:13 PM
rally

I seem to recall it was a Boy Scout badge thing.

You had to raise so much to get a Patch by doing a job for a bob.
But it was probably a generic term - at least until a bob became so worthless due to inflation it wasnt worth the effort !
Old 15-07-2014, 08:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

6 pence entry to pictures 6 pence for potatoe chips. We had a self service store open in Junee..they must be mad they will be robbed blind...nevertheless self service continued..who would think such could come to pass....
Old 15-07-2014, 08:21 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Yep been there that was 45 yrs ago in todays rate it would be $50 a job not a bob,even still got my scout uniform mind it would be a bit tight now
AL
Old 15-07-2014, 08:40 PM
doppler (Rick)

It's probably illegal these days with liability insurance, minimum pay rates, child labour laws etc. Times were a lot simpler then.
Old 15-07-2014, 08:51 PM
leon

Yep, sure can remember those days.

Leon
Old 15-07-2014, 10:38 PM
cfranks (Charles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I goto be the oldest on this forum maybe..1947
I've got 10 years on you! There are a couple of IIS'ers that are even older I think.
Old 16-07-2014, 04:55 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfranks View Post
I've got 10 years on you! There are a couple of IIS'ers that are even older I think.
I posted such to produce such a responce..thank you ..you take charge until someone else comes forward..I feel relief that there are elders I am not ready to be one yet..thank you
Old 16-07-2014, 04:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Yep, sure can remember those days.

Leon
Come on Leon you must be too young ..I follow your adventure and yes you must be too young but your recollection is good for me. Thanks for contributing your experience.
Old 16-07-2014, 06:59 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Football Club used to do bottle ( beer) collections. Car, trailer and half a dozen kids piled on. Dropping into houses and asking to clear out their under house collections to raise funds for gear.
OSH and Child labour and you name it...... would have a fit nowadays .

Yeah, I remember 'bob a job' before decimal days.
Old 16-07-2014, 07:14 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Dam the insurance companies I say and the lawyers who hunt the prize of their funds. If there were no funds to covert cuts and bruises would be treated as such and not as a key to unimaginable wealth via compensation. I am convinced many benefits flowed to kids when they could manage risk for themselves. alex
Old 16-07-2014, 07:59 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Yep, bob a job and bottle drives for the cubs and scouts. I fell out of the back of a trailer when it moved off. Dad was driving. No compensation. He made sure the injuries weren't too serious and told me to be more attentive.

In a similar vein, I paid for my first 'scope and my electric bass by delivering papers and mowing lawns.
Old 16-07-2014, 08:06 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
You'll be showing your AGE here if you know this. . . . I know what it means.....

' Bob a Job ' .... and where did it originate . . . . us ' old school ' fellas would know.

Flash .....
Mongrel...
Old 16-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Rick Petrie
Rickapoodyandafandoogally

I can remember one 'bob a job' weekend.
Did two jobs on a Saturday morning for twobob and this was my afternoon's entertainment.
I went to the afternoon theatre matinee which cost 11p entry. Had a hamburger at half time 1shilling (1bob). After the show a bag of lollies for 1p.
Back then, an afternoon matinee included, cartoons, a serial or news report, a movie, after intermission more cartoons and another feature movie.
Aaah the good old days.
Today all that would cost about $40+.
Old 16-07-2014, 02:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I think we went for a week after school and weekend ...well to get over 30 shillings it was that i am sure...but it was a long time ago..I think around that era I got a microscope for 48 shillings..That was the best time not flash by todays standards it was like the 1009 mag Dept store scope for 150 bucks approach but I worked it even at high mag.I would leave slides to contaminate all over.. slime held so many things..I saw little crab styled things 20% fov at 100mag just like a real crag..I saw many little creatures even did sckets kept ligs etc. Other kids thought I was nerdy is the word today and make the istake of pushing past the point where I was allowed to strike back. My grsndfather told me if I started a fight I would get a flogging but if I was i a fight and lost that fight consider that first glogging nothing co.pared to the one I would get for one I did not win...so when someone threw that first punch..which I had to expect and block. and so developed good defence ..I could finish the fight..so many fights cause I looked easy and differrnt
.they could not handle differnt back then .. I never lost pne and the honor grandfather instilled stood.
Never touch the bob jar for a drink etc.. it was their money.
Thanks for this thread I am recalling stuff I forget.oi
Old 16-07-2014, 03:49 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Petrie View Post
I can remember one 'bob a job' weekend.
Did two jobs on a Saturday morning for twobob and this was my afternoon's entertainment.
I went to the afternoon theatre matinee which cost 11p entry. Had a hamburger at half time 1shilling (1bob). After the show a bag of lollies for 1p.
Back then, an afternoon matinee included, cartoons, a serial or news report, a movie, after intermission more cartoons and another feature movie.
Aaah the good old days.
Today all that would cost about $40+.
Yep ...bang on Rick . . . .did the same most Saturdays for the afternoon ' flicks ' . . .we played up a bit . . . rollin' jaffa's down the isle . . .shakin' your ' fanta ' bottle up and ' spraying ' it everywhere....leaving your ' chewing gum ' on the floor.

Weren't they good times . . . . .

By the Way . . . I can apply for a ' Seniors Card ' next year . . . .

Col .. . . . .

Last edited by FlashDrive; 16-07-2014 at 04:09 PM.