Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-05-2008, 04:43 PM
oggie doggie

Parking an EQ mount

I have a querie regarding parking an HEQ5pro mount.

When I point the scope south and park it the position displayed is
000 00' / 90 00'

Is this correct? My latitude is 41deg sth.

I am having problems getting the "go to" to "go to" where it is supposed to and I am not sure if this is the cause of the problem or not.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mark
Old 13-05-2008, 07:29 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

I could be wrong Mark..(often am) but I don't think the parking of the mount would have any play in effecting the go-to function.
If the scope was permanently set up on a pier, yes by all means park it after each session. But for a portable scope that is taken down after each session I doubt parking is critical.
Old 13-05-2008, 09:31 PM
oggie doggie

Thanks,

I think you are right.
Old 14-05-2008, 03:04 PM
KG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggie doggie View Post

I am having problems getting the "go to" to "go to" where it is supposed to and I am not sure if this is the cause of the problem or not.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mark

Goto problems can be many and varied but 99% of the time they are due to user input errors. Putting -10 instead of +10 for the timezone; getting the date day and month back the front is common too. These settings are often changed accidentally as you go through a setup and you don't even see it. Just last month at astro camp I was going over a scope with a guy having problems and he had the month and date reversed. He's seen it 4 times, another user of the mount had been through it with him 3 of 4 times and I went past it twice before he twigged and we only got it because I recited the values out loud. It was one of those combinations of similar numbers that just tricks the mind.

I'd start with the simple things as these mounts are pretty bullet proof.
Old 15-05-2008, 07:54 AM
oggie doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8 View Post
Goto problems can be many and varied but 99% of the time they are due to user input errors. Putting -10 instead of +10 for the timezone; getting the date day and month back the front is common too. These settings are often changed accidentally as you go through a setup and you don't even see it. Just last month at astro camp I was going over a scope with a guy having problems and he had the month and date reversed. He's seen it 4 times, another user of the mount had been through it with him 3 of 4 times and I went past it twice before he twigged and we only got it because I recited the values out loud. It was one of those combinations of similar numbers that just tricks the mind.

I'd start with the simple things as these mounts are pretty bullet proof.
Thanks for the tips KG8. I will go back through all the setting when I get the scope out again.