Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2024, 12:56 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

6th Feb Solar images

6th Feb. I was nearly not going to image today as the sky was rough and it was very windy. However I managed a few images at two wavelengths.
The first image shows the sunspots at 540 nm - there is an interesting group AR 3576 showing development on the eastern sector. Also 3571 and 3575 are also reasonably large. The other two images are at H alpha wavelength to show some of the flares and prominences.
All images are single exposures with a Canon 550d camera.
Thanks for viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_5616 c.jpg)
199.2 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_5622 c.jpg)
209.0 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_5628 c.jpg)
200.6 KB11 views
Old 07-02-2024, 12:52 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

Stunning images as always but must admit, I'm a little envious, we didn't get any sunshine today at all but the bright side, nowhere near as humid as it had been for a few days with some heavy rain overnight.

You do a lot of solar I've noticed. A quick question, I have a solar filter for my 8" Newt (Or RC8) but I've never used it. I'm assuming it's more for visual use I think, it's a silver fabric type filter but would it be any good to try my hand at solar images?
I wouldn't expect to get anything like you get but I'm thinking of late we get more sun than clouds which we seem to have most every night, only the nights I go to the trouble of taking my mount out into the yard and setting the equipment up. Nights where I'll decide I can't be stuffed the sky usually turns out clear after afternoon cloud.
I should settle for a nice photo of an orange with colour enhancements maybe? LOL

Though I have a nice (moderately nice) microscope, there's always bugs........
Old 07-02-2024, 08:17 AM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Reply to Leo. Always worth trying to get a sunspot image - I presume your filter is one that goes right across the front of your tube/scope. Not a filter that goes in the eyepiece (these are no good and dangerous). Check your filter has no tiny holes in it by holding it up to the light. With your scope you can always project the image from the eyepiece onto a large piece of white card and look at that or even photograph it. None of these are as good as using a Herschel wedge - but these wedges can only be used on refractors. Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Saturn488

Nice images.

Forgive me, I may have asked this in the past! What equipment and capturing technique are you using?
Old 07-02-2024, 01:03 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Reply to Saturn488...
For sunspots I use a WO81 mm refractor, Baader herschel wedge at 540 nm.
For Ha images, I use a Lunt 100 SS solarscope.
Camera: Canon 550d set on color and take single exposures. No stacking.
Processed on a MAC using iPhoto and GIMP.
Old 07-02-2024, 03:42 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Yes, it's a pull on unit for my 8" reflector, still new in it's box. I have several refractors but the proper equipment to image is somewhat out of my price capabilities so far.
I still have the original white clamp on screen I got when I bought the new (then) Tasco 17TR (80mmx900mm) which I still have today, much modified though.
For now I'll just enjoy your images from the comfort of my computer chair and be happy in the knowledge no personal effort was required on my behalf to enjoy your remarkable images.
Thanks John!