Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-04-2023, 09:02 AM
Doubledark (Steve)

is there any difference in the build quality between the AZ-HEQ5 and the HEQ5?

Hi all

I'm trying to understand why there is close to $900 difference between the two mounts; is there any difference in the build quality between the AZ-HEQ5 and the HEQ5?

At this stage I have no intention to use for visual - just imaging using ASIair to drive the setup.

TIA
Old 22-04-2023, 11:18 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Hi Steve,

In EQ mode there isn't much really but the AZ-EQ5 does come with a belt drive as standard unlike the HEQ5, and is a much lighter mount head if you need to cart it around or have a bad back like me. The advantage of the HEQ5 is the dual saddle which I wish my AZ-EQ5 had, but that's not a major deal breaker for me.

For EQ only the HEQ5 is probably better value, even adding the cost of a belt mod (which you may not want/need) it will be cheaper than the price difference. I find that I'm not really using my AZ-EQ5 in anything but EQ mode except for very rare solar imaging, though the weight was important for me, especially having to setup & strip down each session.

EDIT: The AZ-EQ5 also doesn't come with a polar scope (not that I ever use one now) - it's an optional extra that attaches to the side where the level is rather than through the RA axis as on most mounts...

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited by Drac0; 22-04-2023 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Polar scope detail
Old 23-04-2023, 08:05 AM
Doubledark (Steve)

Mark, thanks for your reply.

I think I'm now closer to pulling the trigger on a new HEQ5. Second hand, the prices are stupid expensive; and no warranty.

At $1599, the HEQ5 seems like a good deal. At $2499, I wouldn't even consider the AZEQ5 - instead, I would look at the ZWO AM3.

Thanks again for your thoughts
Old 23-04-2023, 09:04 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledark View Post
Mark, thanks for your reply.

I think I'm now closer to pulling the trigger on a new HEQ5. Second hand, the prices are stupid expensive; and no warranty.

At $1599, the HEQ5 seems like a good deal. At $2499, I wouldn't even consider the AZEQ5 - instead, I would look at the ZWO AM3.

Thanks again for your thoughts
Doing it again I probably would go that way & save the extra cost, but at the time I really wanted to save the extra couple of KG on the head - if the AM3 had been around 12 months ago I would probably have gone that way instead, same capacity with the counterweights used. And I really did intend to use it in AZ mode for dual scopes & planetary/lunar/solar imaging but that hasn't happened since I sold my SCT. It may happen when I get around to investing in a newt later, but other things have priority.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 14-04-2024, 02:14 PM
blindman
Now I see !!!

With AZEQ5 you don't have to kneel, bend, crawl and I love it, but in AZ mode it has little free gap left-right; not sure is it normal or not.
Maybe someone knows, if it is fixable???