Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-05-2015, 08:44 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Is the best way to intergate a Dome with The Sky 6 PE via MaximDL?

Hi Folks,

Having lately acquired a Sirius Observatories dome that I would love to automate with MaxDome later this year - I am pondering the best way to integrate this with my control software, which is:

The Sky 6 Professional Edition -> Vixen Atlux mount (plus Tpoint)
MaximDL 5 -> A The Sky Controlled Telescope

Everything else (e.g. CDC, PEMPro, BacyYardEOS, APT - uses A Sky controlled Telescope to monitor or move position of the mount).

It all works really well. Having the Sky 6 directly point to the Vixen driver (rather than going thru a HUB like POTH, is the only way to enable the Advanced Telescope controls, Park, Initialise, Set date, time mode etc) - which are really attractive and I don't want to lose this functionality!

So if I add a dome controller like MaxdomeII later this year - is the best way to slave it to the Sky6 to:

1. Use MaximDL5 as per the above, connecting the telescope via a The Sky Controlled telescope, but use its Dome controller and point this to MaxDome

2. Use MaximDL5 like the above but point its Dome controller to POTH and point POTH to The Sky for the Scope and Maxdome for the Dome

3. Something else?

I tried both the first options using simulators - both work very well. Noting slews for the Dome are delayed with the Dome slaved, UNLESS the slew is issued from MaximDL itself - then the dome slews are immediate with the Scope slews.

Many thanks,

Matthew