Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-12-2022, 11:24 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Baader Lens cleaner

I was told by Testar this morning that they no longer stock Baader’s Lens Cleaner because it has been classified as a flammable and has become too expensive to import. So I’m looking to concoct an alternative. Testar suggested Shellite from Bintel.

A suggested alternate on http://arksky.org/asoclean.htm is

1) distilled water (supermarkets)
2) "pure" isopropyl alcohol (pharmacies, drug stores....may have to be ordered)
3) coffee filters
4) "regular" Windex, the blue kind (supermarket)
5) Kodak PhotoFlo solution (camera and photo houses only)
6) Synthetic Cotton Replacement Pads (some finer pharmacies, medical supply companies)
7) two "atomizers" or simple squirt bottles for dispensing liquids (Wal Mart or similar)
8) box of KLEENEX [only!] pure white, no additives tissue (supermarket)

Any other suggestions?
Old 19-12-2022, 04:44 PM
DarkArts

You could try Bintel's UHTC cleaning fluid - they make it themselves - the formula is on their product webpage and it does not contain shellite. I've made my own stuff in the past but usually end up making it too watery, and use something stronger eventually.

The rest of this post may be more than you wanted ...

For application, each to their own, but I prefer dabbing/blotting rather than spraying.

I suggest not using tissues. Our (Australian) tissues are derived from wood and therefore contain cellulose fibres, and there's advice around that 'harsh' cellulose fibres will damage optics. I understand that 'cotton' tissues in other countries contain actual cotton. On the other hand, Bintel say they use tissues ... so go figure.

I have my doubts about 'cotton' balls, even synthetic ones, but I have not used 'replacement pads' as you suggest. Still, I'd be wary as something 'cotton' could still be relatively harsh depending how it's made. I don't know the perfect solution, but I lean toward super-soft microfibre (beware cheap microfibre) lens cleaning cloths, which will cost a bit. At least they're re-usable. Camera stores ought to carry good quality lens cloths.

FYI - I've played around with a few brands of lens wipes and the only one (so far) that seems 'good enough' for astro optics is Zeiss wipes, but I'd only use them on eyepieces and a corrector plate or objective out in the field where they're convenient.

Technique is also important - e.g. don't re-use a wipe/tissue and present a clean portion on each short wipe.

We no doubt all have different ideas about how to clean our optics but, hopefully, my version helps a bit. I'm still learning.

Last edited by DarkArts; 20-12-2022 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Updated re: Bintel fluid
Old 19-12-2022, 07:03 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi, Just to add to Darkarts comments on tissue use I agree we shouldn't be using facial tissue to clean lens'. Facial tissues have a couple of chemicals added to provide wet strength which are basically types of glue to inhibit the tissue breaking up while nose blowing etc. I dont really know but this may cause issues cleaning lens'. Toilet tissue doesn't have these chemicals so it will break up quickly when flushed. I have worked on the machine that makes kleenex in Aust. for many years so have a good idea on whats in it. Maybe a dedicated lens cleaning cloth or paper is the way to go. Toilet tissue would be better tha facial but will break up if very quickly if too wet. Anyway,
Cheers, Richard
Old 20-12-2022, 08:49 AM
dikman (Richard)

Reverse-osmosis water? I suppose it sounds more technical than distilled water. As for using shellite - not something I'd suggest to anyone, it is a fairly strong solvent. Windex - be careful as it generally contains ammonia, which can be problematic with some materials.

Just some idle thoughts.
Old 20-12-2022, 04:02 PM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Reverse-osmosis water? I suppose it sounds more technical than distilled water. As for using shellite - not something I'd suggest to anyone, it is a fairly strong solvent. Windex - be careful as it generally contains ammonia, which can be problematic with some materials.

Just some idle thoughts.
Distilled water is made by evaporation, so it would have been misleading to call it that. Deionised or demineralised water can be made through a few different processes - kudos to Bintel for being clear about how their water is made.

The Baader fluid (that Peter referred to) doesn't seem that special when you look at the ingredients: 40% water, 35% 1-Propanol, 25% Ethanol.

Threads on optics cleaning over on CN are interesting in that opinions are very varied, including on ammonia - some say not to use it - some say it's fine. I've been intrigued for quite a while at some of the diametrically opposed views from apparently quite knowledgable people. You should read the one about using acetone ... but I wouldn't use it, personally.

I wouldn't use Shellite either, but Peter suggested it was in Bintel fluid - it isn't.
Old 21-12-2022, 01:08 AM
Camissa (Ecki)

Quote:
The Baader fluid (that Peter referred to) doesn't seem that special when you look at the ingredients: 40% water, 35% 1-Propanol, 25% Ethanol.
I think the formula for Optical Wonder is wrong, it must be demineralised water, 2-propanol (isopropanol) and ethanol!

Just water with 2-propanol works well too for the the stuff that we usually need to remove. The best tissue for cleaning are indeed eye-cotton pads from the pharmacy. Those have no chemicals inside.

It is important to carefully remove any dust a lens blower first and then use a lot of cotton with a little of the cleaning solution. I do a small wipe while turning the cotton - so that there is no chance of any dirt being smeared over the lens! Take fresh cotton, a small wipe, fresh cotton etc etc, from the middle of the lens in circles to the outside. You want to use a lot of cotton to exclude even the faintest possibility of wiping the lens when there could be the smallest grain of sand in the cotton! Don't worry about any cotton stuck at the lens, remove that later with the lens blower.

I learned this from the Zeiss technicians for high end research microscopes and have performed this countless times on very expensive optics.
Old 21-12-2022, 01:47 AM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camissa View Post
I think the formula for Optical Wonder is wrong, it must be demineralised water, 2-propanol (isopropanol) and ethanol!
I suppose we could ask Baader, but the data came from their own SDS - it's supposed to be 1-propanol, which is very similar to 2-propanol (that we know better as regular IPA):

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...f?v=1586968956
Old 21-12-2022, 01:56 AM
DarkArts

These discussions have already been had, many times over, on Cloudy Nights and/or Stargazer's Lounge, so I will leave the remainder of this thread to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid
Any other suggestions?
Be careful what you wish for!
Old 21-12-2022, 06:07 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

For 100% Isopropyl I got mine from Sydneysolvents.com.au, I see Melbournesolvents.com.au has it on sale atm, $10 a litre, I use mine with a glass cleaning cloth from the optometrist shop.

To date I have had no issues with coatings or any reported from people I have sold my EP's too.

Repeated washing of a new cloth in with your washing will help with softening it a bit as well. The final washes are detergent free... also there is next to no pressure applied when wiping... if its stubborn just leave it.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 21-12-2022 at 06:36 PM.