Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-04-2023, 09:00 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

ZWO - New 2600MC Duo with inbuilt guide cam, AM3 mount, 4 refractors, rotator, Asiair

This is the new gear from NEAF.

Personally most interested in the AM3 & the Rotator.

YouTube link here and here.

Last edited by Emuhead; 14-04-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 18-04-2023, 12:19 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

I'm not sure if I like the direction ZWO is currently going. It seems like they're not sure what they want to be: A company that makes good cameras, or a company that builds loads of astro stuff, throws it at the wall and sees what sticks.

Their product line is becoming bloated and are trying to be the Apple of astrophotography. Well, we all know what happened when Apple's product line became bloated.

Rene
Old 18-04-2023, 05:22 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am not sure about the lineup bloat either. The dual sensor camera is not a bad idea (It has been done before) and would make setup easier for a lot of people, but it is obviously no good if you use NB filters.

The rotator is something that could interest me if it is reasonably priced, robust, and big enough.
Old 19-04-2023, 10:11 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Looks like they’re trying to expand their product line so we buy more of their stuff

Competition is generally a good thing, but there’s always a risk when a given brand attempts to dominate any given market. It’s probably fairly safe to say they were responsible for breaking the “old school” hideously priced CCD cartel and making imaging cameras more accessible. There were some disturbing (if true) comments on CN recently. We never really know the full story of any “situation”.

I’ve found their gear to be variable from a quality perspective, given the asking price, although I haven’t ever had an issue with their software or customer service.

Personally, I evaluate my potential purchases carefully. Every $ counts. I have no brand loyalty, as in the past I have found that has been abused. I’m glad we have a market, where there are a bunch of products available.
Old 27-04-2023, 06:31 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Rotator features in this video, so it's def not a red herring, just in case anyone was wondering why it wasn't announced on their website

Link here.

I'm a fan of their gear generally and have only been impressed so far.. no oil leak issues yet, fingers crossed.

Let me rotate already (with an asiair).
Old 27-04-2023, 07:55 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I am not sure about the lineup bloat either. The dual sensor camera is not a bad idea (It has been done before) and would make setup easier for a lot of people, but it is obviously no good if you use NB filters.
You could always DIY something like this if you're game, or wait until someone manufactures it.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Sensor Filter JA.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	305137

Best
JA
Old 27-04-2023, 08:08 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Interesting design, I'm glad you copyrighted it. Its great seeing people come up with creative designs & drawing them up, have been known to invent a few things myself.

I mean something else though, i mean the CAA (camera angle adjuster), at about 1:30 in that YouTube video link below, that's what I'm looking for. Unless I've mistaken the drawing..