Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Still deciding what to do

Hi everyone.

So far I'm looking at 8" goto collapsible Skywatcher (approx $1400 at most sites I've visited), 10" non goto collapsible or 12" full tube. I've got a spreadsheet with all types of scopes but have narrowed down to these three I think. The 8" goto is at the top end of my budget allowance.

I have researched prices as below:

8" goto Skywatcher (my preference of the three): $1399 at Astroshop, Astro Petes, Andrews and Ozscopes.

10" colapsible Skywatcher: $999 Astroshop, Andrews, $1030 Ozscopes and $785 Astro Petes.

12" full tube (second choice): $849 Bintel.

What is the general concensus on these choices? I understand the bigger the better. I won't be transporting outside the backyard so that shouldn't be something for me to worry about.

I currently have a 4" Skywatcher on EQ mount. I'll use that should I go anywhere.

Regards
Scott
Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
astro744

Go the larger aperture; you wont regret it and being the cheapest option means it's a no-brainer. GOTO is not essential and you can learn the sky as much if not more with charts.

To me $1,400.00 seems a bit expensive for an 8" GOTO.

The 12" of aperture will give you many more and much brighter galaxies than the 8" ever will. Globular clusters too will be far more impressive in the 12" as will planetary nebulae.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Agree with the prior advice.

Given that you have stated that you don't have to transport the scope, a 12 inch full tube will be better than an 8 inch especially at that price difference allowing you to get another couple of accessories.

Also I don't think I have ever heard of anyone complain about a Bintel Dob before so it should be a very reasonable scope (unless they are doing something different nowdays)

Cheers
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Scott
Go the 12" every time unless you absolutely must have Go to or collapsible. IMHO aperture wins every time over Go To. I had a GSO 12" for years and just loved it. With a bit of planning it is easy to move around. No electronics to get in the way and if your budget is $1400 it leaves $550 for accessories (charts, dew protection, collimation tools maybe eyepieces).

The jump from 8" to 12" is easily the jump that gives the largest increase in available objects. When I used an 8" as my main scope I needed really dark skies to hope to see much more than the Messiers and brighter NGC/IC objects. On any night at home there were probably no more than 100-200 objects that I could potentially observe. Once I went to the 12" that grew into the 1000's.

Malcolm
Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 PM
glend (Glen)

I had the 12" dob and it great size, then I wanted a 16". My personal view is that you will learn the sky better if you have to pushto. BTW there are some nice Pushto encoder kits for those 12" Dobs which if Bintel branded is a GSO. Talk to Andrews because they sell massive numbers of GSO scope and are always cheaper than Bintel. Bintel will claim they unpack and setup each one and check the collimation, which would keep them very busy doing that. You could buy a 12" GSO and have enough left over from the cost of that smaller goto to buy a pushto kit fr the 12".

Last edited by glend; 02-08-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:36 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

I went 40mm refractor, 60mm refractor and 12inch newtonian. The step up was incredible and I would concur with the other opinions. Go the 12!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:31 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

I'd go the 12 too... The solid tube can be cumbersome, but if you're not planning on taking it anywhere, it should be no problem...

If the goto is the appeal of the smaller scope, you should consider the ArgoNavis system... If your budget is $1400, you may be able to pick one up on the IceTrades Classifieds with your change from the bigger/cheaper dob (that's exactly what I did)... As a bonus, Gary, the CEO of Wildcard, who make the Argo, is a member here and is always happy to help if needed.

Davin
Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Scott, never say never, to restrict yourself to your own backyard is a backward move, what ever you get, make sure you can transport to other sites, one night at a dark site should be enough to convince you.

As you progress you will most likely gravitate to other observing sites. Get the biggest you can afford and transport. If I were in your shoes I would probably buy a collapsible dob first then an ArgoNavis and encoders for push to at a later date. Go to and tracking are nice but not necessary, the capability to find a Target is; the Argo Navis will give you that.

Argo Navis units complete with encoders come up from time to time in the icetrade section.