Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-12-2009, 11:00 AM
theeone

Frustrated....

OK folks I have been watching the Forums on and off for about 12 Months, due to the fact I rarely get the time to get the scope out and have a look these days,

Have owned it for about 6 years, York Skyrover N 114, seemed like a good thing when i got it, Did Moon, Planets, Staturn blew my fricken mind, All i could think was Warner Brothers Cartoon, " Stand Still Earthling, or I'll destroy you with my Modulator..." He He,

Anyway, now that that Initial thrill has waned a little, Although I do still enjoy showing others, I'm wondering how much better,(Read, Bigger or Clearer) the images get related to the Dollars or Size of the Scope, although I can see all the stuff I have seen before, ( Checked Venus and Moons last night, Cool) I found that the image is a little blurred now, and I am wanting clearer/bigger image.

Maybe its just me?
Old 29-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Blackant (Ant)
Tassie Telescope Gnome

Hi there,

I started out with a skyrover n114 like yours, it does the job but to be honest I never really got on that well with the equatorial mount, I found it a bit finicky and annoying.

A couple of months ago I bought a bintel 8" dobsonian for $600, and the difference between what I could see with the old skyrover and the dob is literally night and day

An added bonus for me is that i like the dob mount a lot more, just push and pull around to what I want to see, it's easy to set up and pack away, and I find it more comfortable looking through rather than having to twist like a contortionist trying to look through the skyrover at different angles.

regards

Ant
Old 29-12-2009, 02:55 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Simple answer, for visual use, aperture rules! A dobsonion will give the best bang for buck by a long shot. 12" aperture is easily obtained under $1000 these days whch will blow you away with the views. Be warned, these can be big units!
Old 29-12-2009, 09:02 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Theeone,

another thing that will also improve your visual quality with a larger diameter scope is the better quality eyepieces that come with it as standard, compared to your 114.

I made a dob mount for a school's 114, and gave it new eyepieces. Wow, what a difference. Much easier to use than the eq. mount it had, and the eyepieces are excellent.