Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-04-2024, 04:25 PM
cafuego (Peter)
Take me to your ******

How to improve images

I'm now able to control my telescope via the ASIAir app to select and slew to targets and I can manually focus the setup using a bahtinov mask. So, where to go from here?

What I have now is a Meade LX 200 on its fork mount and a 294 OSC camera.

My fairly vague plans are to get an EQ mount to use instead of the fork mount, so I can actually guide and take exposures of more than 30 seconds.

The tracking on the Meade mount is not stunning, so even at 30 seconds I end up having to throw away half (or more) of all subs.

Would it be helpful to invest in an Ir/Uv cut filter to keep the star size in check when I'm not shooting with my Ha/[OIII] filter? Should I see about an auto-focuser to get better focus than I can do manually?

Other suggestion welcome, though what with buying a mount I don't think a mono camera and filter wheel will be in the budget for a looooong time ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M83.jpg)
211.6 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (NGC5128.jpg)
190.6 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (NGC6188.jpg)
192.8 KB33 views
Old 19-04-2024, 04:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

An EQ mount is where I would start...once you get it working things will be better I expect.

In any event for the moment try shorter exposures and just do heaps on the basis of getting the best out of what you have...you could try to polar align your current mount..if it wont fall over but you can aim your axis at CSP which is in effect making your fork mount an EQ...that could help if you are lucky with your pointing.

Focus...learn to do it manually..it would take me 30 minutes once to get it acceptable ...but auto focus is great.

alex
Old 20-04-2024, 09:41 PM
triplej3 (Jordo)

hey pete

id get some pennys together and buy a mount. lots of second hand ones around. theres quite a few eq6's used for sale the eq6's perform great.
Old 21-04-2024, 07:07 AM
JA

Hi Pete,

Without spending anything you could try LOTS of shorter exposures on brighter (even not so bright) objects, preferably at as dark a location as possible.

Look at I think the name is Exaxe on Astrobin for some sample images. He uses some very short exposures and whilst I'm not necessarily advocating exposures that short, depending on your read noise, the results suggest it would be worthy of experiment.

Don't buy it ... try it.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 21-04-2024 at 07:20 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
cafuego (Peter)
Take me to your ******

Thanks for the various bits of advice all.

After some agonising about the kind of mount I should invest in, a shiny new ZWO AM5 arrived in the mail today, so you can all expect me to start posting Hubble-level images in Advanced Astrophotgraphy, starting tomorrow
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Congratulations...I have one and I love it ( also eq6, eq5 and eq8) and it is my favourite.

Upon it rides a nice big Askar with EAF and OAG.

I was apprehensive about OAG but it really was a great investment..."they" say finding guide stars can be difficult but so far I have not run into that problem...and guiding at the fl of your main scope over a small scope must help...and no flex.

I have a counter shaft and counter weight on the mount which I thought was appropriate to put less pressure on the gears however they seem to be used to stop the mount tipping over...all I suggest is research this aspect...I still think it must help from gear aspect...

Well done.

alex