Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-05-2018, 08:17 AM
GOTO (Geoff)

Colour balance with ZWO290MC

Hi all,

Geoff looking for some help please. I just bought a ZWO290MC and its pretty good but I am having issues as you can see from this Jupiter image. The colour seems odd and greenish but I don't know why. I've played with it in Photoshop but to no avail.

I used SharpCap2.9 to get it and stacked in Autostakkert then did a wavelet in Registax 6.0

Any tips at all please?
Cheers
Geoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter 20 May 2018.jpg)
29.5 KB50 views
Old 30-05-2018, 08:51 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Haven't used the 290MC. I've only used the 224MC with sharpcap for live DSO imaging. For that I'd balance colour as follows for saving raw images

On the right under image controls you can set the colour balance (red & blue). Then you can view the histogram of the image by clicking the histogram button up on the top right. For my rough and ready balance I'd point the camera at a white sheet of paper or even clean bitumen in the shade and adjust the R/B sliders so that the RGB histograms overlapped.

Edit: this was done in sharpcappro 3.1 - hope 2.9 has the same
Old 30-05-2018, 10:59 AM
RB (Andrew)

Geoff go into Photoshop and use the 'Curves' tool, then select each channel individually so as to adjust each curve as you like.
Here's a screenshot of a quick one I did just to show you.
Hope that's a bit of help for you.

Cheers
RB

Old 30-05-2018, 11:38 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi
As an fellow ZWO290Mc owner and user of SharpCap 2.9, this should help. When you open SharpCap and connect the camera and move the cursor to the right hand drop down menu to set shutter speed, resolution etc have a look further down the menu. Toward the bottom, under Image Controls
there are Gamma, Brightness and White Balance, R & B, sliders. Play with them until you get your desired colour balance.
My settings are changed a little depending if the target is Jupiter, Mars, Saturn or the Moon but are generally about - Gamma - 40 , Brightness - 80. White Balance R- 55. White Balance B - 45 .
For Jupiter these settings seem to give a reasonable representation of what the planets colours looks like to the eye. Can always up the colour saturation and balance later when processing .
Hope this helps.
Old 30-05-2018, 09:50 PM
GOTO (Geoff)

Thanks all, I really appreciate the advice
Cheers
Geoff