Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Do you read every post in a thread before replying

I am wondering what most people here do.

When someone starts a thread with a question or seeking advice, and there are already several replies, do people read every post before adding your reply?

Sometimes one will say almost exactly the same thing as a previous poster, and you wonder why. (And not referring to when two replies hit simultaneously, or an opinion is sought, so that weight of answer can determine a "most popular".)

Sometimes it looks like they are ignoring the previous poster or denigrating his/her veracity, without an " I agree with so and so.."

What do you think?

Last edited by Allan_L; 27-11-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 24-11-2012, 02:53 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post

When someone starts a thread with a question or seeking advice, and there are already several replies, do people read every post before adding your reply?

To me it almost seems rude, to say almost exactly the same thing as a previous poster, and not at least start by " I agree with so and so.."

It appears like you are ignoring the previous poster or denigrating their veracity.

What do you think?
Allan, several times recently I've found someone else has replied to a question while I've been typing my reply. It would not have mattered if I'd read every post - the other reply was not there, even when I did a preview before sending.

Should I throw work my away if it 99% agrees with what the other person posted?

Sometimes I'll edit in a "having just seen xxx's reply" but not always, and not if the two have a completely different take on the reply.
Old 24-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Allan
Yes, I always read every single post before replying. Doing so is also a great way to learn things.

I don't see repetitive posts the same way as you do. I'm giving my opinion, regardless of whatever anyone has had to say. If it's the same thing as someone else has said, then it just adds weight to whatever it is could be a good thing to have. If I was asking advice on something, having more than one person back that up is useful in making my decision.
Old 24-11-2012, 03:15 PM
rmcconachy

In answer to Allan's question, yes I do. I may sometimes miss something (I make no claim to be perfect, my wife would add "Just as well!" ) but I do read the whole thread before replying. I've had what Andrew describes happen to me before, I just put that down to `You can do your best but sometimes stuff happens'.
Old 24-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Varangian (John)

I did it today in the beginners equipment section. I asked a question of the OP what the AFOV of a particular ep was but Alex had answered the question already. I edited my post indicating that it had been answered by Alex. Unfortunately, with 2 kids and lots of jobs to do I don't have time to read every post.
Old 24-11-2012, 03:51 PM
blink138 (Pat)

well i still think you should stick with the lodestar.......... (?)
pat
Old 24-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Matt Wastell (Matt)
Look up, look good!

Usually if someone is asking for advice or an opinion I read the posts - in saying that, if my opinion is similar to someone's I will add my view and not necessarily acknowledge previous posts - each to their own.
Old 24-11-2012, 04:01 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Not if it's a very long thread in the deep space section but I enjoy reading general chats or science forums.
Old 24-11-2012, 04:32 PM
leon

I.m with Suzy, if something is repeated it really is no big deal, and as Suzy said, the more they say the same thing, would give a positive answer to your question, anyway that is in MHO only

Leon
Old 24-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
I.m with Suzy, if something is repeated it really is no big deal, and as Suzy said, the more they say the same thing, would give a positive answer to your question, anyway that is in MHO only

Leon
Agreed, Leon and Suzy.
Whenever I ask a question here, I like to see several replies that are in basic agreement. Makes me think I am getting good info.
Old 24-11-2012, 05:12 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
well i still think you should stick with the lodestar.......... (?)
pat
cheeky
Old 24-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

Like Andrew, that has happened to me several times. While typing in my reply someone else has "read my mind."

However, I take suzy's and Leon's stance there. It adds weight to the info presented.

I do take into account that no one deliberately goes out to offend. If it does offend me, I try to look at it from another perspective. That often works.

To Allan's question, yes. I do read every post before I reply. Mainly to respect everyone else's opinion.

Cheers
Old 24-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Kunama

I agree with Andrew, Suzy, rmcc, John, Pat, Matt, Marc, Leon, Laurie, jjjnettie and Marty.

Edit: Seriously though, yes Allan, I do try to read the posts and then reply to the OPs message first before commenting on anything anyone else said. I don't find it rude, I try not to take it that seriously.
Then again, I am just a beginner compared to most here so I learn a lot from everyone's opinions anyway.
Old 24-11-2012, 06:07 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I think you can look at this in a number of different ways. Sometimes I have a response in my head but when I see someone has already written the same thing I don't bother. Other times in the same situation I want to join in the conversation regardless so I may post a very similar response, although I will usually begin with "I agree with..." as you suggest.

If I was the OP and was looking for feedback before making a purchase decision, for example, the more posts along the same lines the better as it adds weight to that point of view (as Suzy said!).

Now I'm frantically re-reading all the previous posts to see if I'm simply regurgitating what's already been said
Old 24-11-2012, 10:33 PM
technofetishism (Nick)

Always read the posts, my biggest gripe though is people not reading the OP's actual post.
Old 24-11-2012, 11:27 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofetishism View Post
Always read the posts, my biggest gripe though is people not reading the OP's actual post.
Good point. How many threads actually stay on topic???
Old 24-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Not many-but we do get some interesting diversions.
Old 25-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

From MortonH
Now I'm frantically re-reading all the previous posts to see if I'm simply regurgitating what's already been said

As I view it, its much like a conversation or discussion. It can be steered in a variety of directions. Do we start a new thread just because someone wishes to digress?
This thread has already veered off a little but it is still relevant to the beginning. Its not as if we have changed to the subject of World water temperatures or whatever.

Its an interesting thread that shares each others' views on the subject.

Cheers
Old 25-11-2012, 01:31 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post

To me it almost seems rude, to say almost exactly the same thing as a previous poster, and not at least start by " I agree with so and so.."

It appears like you are ignoring the previous poster or denigrating their veracity.

What do you think?
There are other replies?
Old 25-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Deeno
“We are star-stuff”

Just finished reading all the posts
.....What was the original question again.....?