Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-11-2018, 03:51 PM
gary

BOM forecasts wetter than average summer for NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hannam, Sydney Morning Herald, 15 November 2018 — 1:38pm
What's good news for farmers and firefighters may be less so for those aiming for a summer of sunshine and surf.

The Bureau of Meteorology's first weather outlook for December to February indicates a decisive shift towards a wetter than average season for much of NSW, particularly next month.

Despite ongoing influences from both the Indian and Pacific oceans that would typically nudge the odds to favour a drier-than-usual spell, conditions particularly in December instead point to above-average rainfall for south-eastern coastal parts of Australia.

Just as in October - when Sydney collected twice the average rainfall for the month - it will be high pressure systems over the Tasman that will most likely be conducive for the wetter times.

"In December, high pressures in the southern Tasman Sea are likely to drive more humid air inland than normal, resulting in a welcome wetter-than-average December outlook for central and eastern NSW and eastern Victoria," Robert Pipunic, senior hydrologist for the bureau, said.

The bureau's summer outlook also shows the odds favour warmer than average summer conditions for almost the entire country, particularly for overnight conditions.

The exception looks to be clearest in NSW in December, with the likelihood of extra rain keeping daytime temperatures close to average.

While the dampness should contribute to higher than usual humidity - as Sydney experienced in October - fire authorities will still need to be on alert.

Australia, after all, posted its second-hottest January-October period on record for daytime temperatures, with NSW having its hottest. It was also the state's fourth-driest start to any year, the bureau said.

"This warmth, combined with a predominantly dry landscape, means bushfire risk remains high in many parts of Australia," Dr Pipunic said.
Story here :-
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/w...15-p50g6h.html
Old 15-11-2018, 04:44 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Loving this rain and the mild temperature lately. We need a lot more of it.
Old 15-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Wavytone

Blame me. A blonde German-Russian model coming to keep ol' Santel company

Last edited by Wavytone; 15-11-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 15-11-2018, 06:33 PM
spiezzy

I am hearing you Marc
Old 15-11-2018, 08:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Not on topic but of late I have been playing rain sounds ...plenty on utube..and so beneficial..to me..I drop off to sleep to it..I can imagine so much...mpre rain please..puts off the fire season this year makes it worse for next year.
Alex