Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-02-2008, 10:05 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Most planetarium programs have a "night" setting which gives you mostly a redlight apperance. But you can be sure some bright message will pop up and blind you! I have a piece of red perspex (a kind gift) I put over my screen with a couple of pieces of bluetac, then I turn the brightness right down. Then I choose the right setting on Stellarium to give me the best view - cannot remember if it is the ordinary daytime setting or the nighttime setting. I find that is very red and very low light. I can see the screen and mouse pointer just fine - it's the keyboard I cannot see then! Need a redlight torch to illuminate that, if I need to type!

Search the threads - you'll find the perspex mentioned and also a red gel film (theater lighting supplies, I think).
Old 21-02-2008, 10:05 PM
leinad (Dan)

Hahaha, yeah I deleted it erick as I scan-read your post to quick.

" Remember to always start the search with a wide field of view - eyepiece of, say 26mm focal length or longer."

This I thought pretty much answered my thoughts. But anyway you've obviously seen it when I posted(damn your quick! ) and answered those questions.