Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Using All The Available Avi Frames

Trying to overcome the problem of producing multipule images while processing the Jupiter AVI images in Registax - see submission July 10 Tele setup and Jupiter No2 - I hit on an idea that has enabled the use of all the recorded AVI frames, thus producing a far clearer finished pic.
Observing the erratic movement of the image when Aligning it, it occurred to me that if the image was returned to its starting frame before being aligned it would be less unstable and may be more than 35 frames could be used . If you do not tick the default or the multipont boxes Registax will choose multi point, which is the system used even though only one alignment frame is used to frame the image. I must add here, when recording Jupiter, the Toucam was aligned so that the image travised parallel to the computer screen as Mike Salway recommends. This I feel is most important if the maximum number of frames are to be captured as described below
Opening the frame list, SHOW FRAMES - in this example there were 224 frames in total - Using the slider at the bottom, the image was taken to the extreme left, allowing for the alignment frame that would frame it and194 frames were noted. The frame list was cleared and starting at No 2 frame all 193 frame boxes ticked. The image now sits at the extreme left. Ticking No1 box returns the image to its original starting point. The alignment frame was then carefully placed over the image and the cross placed exactly on the dark band travising the image and the Alignment box clicked. It was quite a thrill to see the image move smoothly right across the screen and return to its starting point with a single image.

The remaining Registax software is then used, such as: Limit, Optimise and Stack. I prefer not to use Wavelett, which increases noise and save it to Photoshop and then only after it is cropped to size, use Levels to lighten it a very small amount.
Others may have discovered this method with equal success, but I've never read of it. I'm thrilled to be able to use all the AVI recorded frames and hope it will help others to do so .
I refer to it as the return method! The attached pic has 184 stacked frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (July 6 07 c24.jpg)
26.3 KB27 views