Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-12-2005, 03:45 PM
radioactive

Question unable to achieve focus

I have a vixen102M 4" f9.1
when I bought it it had the option of the 2" end section as well as the 1"1/4 it had already attached I recently purchased a nice 2"mirror diagonal so I could try this extra section but to my dismay I cannot actualy get a proper focus the focusser is wound in as much as it can this be with 2" eyepiece I have or any of the many 1"1/4I have it gets no better if using a barlow the focusser still cannot quite get there
anyone got any idea ???
I can post pics if this would help
and a merry christmas to you all down there in the sunshine
from a chap shivering here in yorkshire
Old 16-12-2005, 03:59 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

How does it go with just the 2" diagonal and eyepiece?
Old 16-12-2005, 04:08 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I also found these. They are in Japanese, but the diagrams are pretty explanatory
http://www.ad-vix.com/html/online_sh...tube/tb-a3.htm
http://www.ad-vix.com/html/online_sh...tube/tb-a4.htm
Old 16-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Hi Martyn, I can't think of any solutions off hand, not reaching focus when pulling the drawtube out is something you can do a bit about, but when you don't reach it going in that's a altogether more tricky problem. Maybe if you did post some pics that would provide some ideas...

I went for a walk at lunchtime... it's well over 30deg C, hot and humid ... guess I shouldn't complain

cheers,
Old 17-12-2005, 04:02 AM
radioactive

Guys
Thanks for info so far on this yes I will post a pic or two in the near future
of course I have been trying to find out this end what can be the answer I have come across an interesting review on the 102m which by the way for any purists reading I put it down as F9.1 when it is in fact F9.8 (phew thats feels better)Lol.
anyway back to the review in summing it said "pity it does not have a 2"focuser" I have looked all over for some mention of one with a 2" focuser on to no avail
The mission My fellow astronimers (should you wish to accept it!) anyone seen one, used one, owned one,kicked one with a 2" focuser on it
"off for tea"
ITS AN ENGLISH THING. Lol
Old 17-12-2005, 10:42 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Check out the moonlight focusers. They have replacement refractor focusers. Maybe there is one to fit yours.
http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman....cgi&category=1
Old 19-12-2005, 09:55 AM
radioactive

Thanks for that url Paul it got me to thinking if I could do anything this end and with some success I have had focus on several subjects during the day here so to test it I waited tonight and in between long long waits I got some patchy looks at the moon again in focus its just to bad cloudwise now to oberve anything else at all
What I had done as a test was to "remove" the top section comming off the Mirror Diagonal then I taped on just the 2" -1 1/4" reducer. i used various eyepices all achieving a focus I need to see more my self before I can decide how much success this has been however its a good start point will keep you informed how it goes
Paul I emailed them at moonlight acessories waiting to hear back from them
if I work out how to post pictures on here I will do so also
clear skies everyone
Old 19-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Martyn

Some of the Vixen refractors are delivered with a screw-on extension tube (approx 2 ½ inches long) which screws directly into the end of the focuser. This is used when viewing "straight through" without a diagonal.

When you use a diagonal, you need to remove the screw in extension tube due to the longer light path of the diagonal. See attached image using a 1.25" diagonal.

On my Vixen, the base focuser is a chrome finish and the extension tube is black anodised so it was easy to see that they are separate units that can be unscrewed.

Hope it is as simple as that.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Focuser Eyepiece.jpg)
38.6 KB14 views