Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
silwat

A warning to those about to buy thier first scope.

Hello all. This is a warning to all those prospective first scope buyers out there who may be wandering through these forums. SHOP AROUND! Sounds simple I know, but after being caught out myself I feel I should give the heads up to any one who may be following in my footsteps.

Roughly 4 weeks ago now I was in the market for my first ever telescope. I had a budget of $600 and wanted the biggest appature I could get for my money. Christmas was fast approaching and so was the annual camping trip out to a beautiful dark sky spot. (Barrington Tops for all those playing at home) First store I walked into the salesman put his hand on an 8" Skywatcher Dob and told me it was by far the biggest and best telescope I could get for $600, so I bought it. Just recently I have had time to look at other shops and found that I could have Saved ALOT of money. Andrews Communication Systems for instance sells the exact same telescope for $429.00 and a 10" version for $599. I don't regret buying my telescope, so far it has been worth every penny, and then some, I just wish I had known to shop around thouroughly before I bought the scope.

Good luck with your future purchases.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:25 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Very good advice!

It's also a common recommendation we give to newbies to try and get to a local viewing night at an astronomy club or star party BEFORE buying a telescope, to actually LOOK THROUGH the different types of telescopes before you buy them, see how big they are and whether you'll be able to transport them easily, etc.

Some people might also feel that astronomy is not the hobby for them after standing outside in the cold with the mozzies, being frustrated by clouds etc

MyAstroShop also sells the Skywatcher dobs at a very good price.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I would add to that to make sure you are getting what you think you are buying. Those $599 10" SW Dobs you mention have different specs from those sold elsewhere - going by the website info - and IME heavy discounters often do not know their merchandise very well so you cannot always rely on getting accurate information. In any case, it pays to do your homework before parting with the cash.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM
silwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss View Post
I would add to that to make sure you are getting what you think you are buying. Those $599 10" SW Dobs you mention have different specs from those sold elsewhere - going by the website info -
Could it be that even though they are the same brand, thier optics could vary? When I bought mine the saleperson told me that the mirrors were from a really good factory where as most others come from a factory of lesser quality.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:17 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silwat View Post
When I bought mine the saleperson told me that the mirrors were from a really good factory where as most others come from a factory of lesser quality.
Hmmm.. Sounds like the typical thing a salesperson would say.
I have the Saxon-branded 10", and I was told the mirror's pyrex and made in the US. The 8" models have a different type of mirror. With mass produced mirrors there is a bit of luck involved in getting a good one because of variability in quality.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM
silwat

I find it very strange that company "A" charges $600 and company "B" (20 minutes drive away) charges $429 for the exact same product . Perhaps it comes down to something "buisnessey", bulk buying or some such thing. If anyone knows the reasoning behind this, I would be really interested to here fom you!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

There's the RRP, which is what company "A" is charging.. making as much margin as possible.

Then there's company "B" which discounts, so they charge a lower price, less margin, but hopefully move more product.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
silwat

I see. Well thankyou for clarifying. I think for my sake though, I'll go on believing that I have a wonderfully superior set of optics mounted in my "special edition" alluminium tube ... ... Ignorance is bliss!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

that said, you still have a very good scope
congtrat on your purchase.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:01 PM
astro_nutt

Hear! Hear!..congrats well deserved silwat!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM
bloodhound31

As I have been involved in purchasing and supply for many years, I can tell you that there is no substitute for shopping around! Never show your hand until the last minute, and even then be reluctant.

Sometimes it can pay to cut out the middle man and go straight to the manufacturer. However, you are only buying once off. the salesman will know this and charge you accordingly. A distributor will sometimes get the product for a lot less, as they buy from the manufacturer on a regular basis. So even after overheads and GST have been factored in, you often still get a better deal at the consumer end.

Notice the quantities a corner store will order cartons of coke, and woolies orders pallet loads. the price difference is way in favour of woolies.

In some instances, this can go the other way though, when you look at the overheads on a brand name and supplier.

I resist the urge to slap telescope shop assistants every time I am browsing and hear them bull**** a customer. They watch your body language, ask you lots of questions to pre-qualify you like what do you do for a living, are you married? got kids? etc. Then they will try to chat you up and establish common ground with you. After that there is the salesman you have to judge is being truly genuine and helpful, or trying to help so much you feel like a prick if you dont buy.
Make sure you look through some telescopes at night with someone who is into the hobby before you seriously consider parting with hard earned cash.

If you buy a peice of crap you will be stuck with it. Second hand telescopes are hard to sell and you will ususlly lose lots.

Again.....there is no substitute for shopping around.

Hope this helps..

Baz