Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-10-2008, 03:07 PM
newguy (Callen)

needs advice

hi all
i'm deeply interested in the universe and would like to buy my first telescope. when looking for shops on the net i came across a post on this site saying that shops in victoria were rip offs. so i thought i would ask you guys for some advice. first of all what kind should i go for? what stores are good in victoria? i figure if i'm going to get one i want it to be good. i would also like to be able to take pictures with it. also i don't no how to navigate the night sky but i will learn

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 28-10-2008, 03:33 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
hi all
i'm deeply interested in the universe and would like to buy my first telescope. when looking for shops on the net i came across a post on this site saying that shops in victoria were rip offs. so i thought i would ask you guys for some advice. first of all what kind should i go for? what stores are good in victoria? i figure if i'm going to get one i want it to be good. i would also like to be able to take pictures with it. also i don't no how to navigate the night sky but i will learn

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Hi Callen

Start reading:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-260-0-0-1-0.html

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-261-0-0-1-0.html

and other articles from this page:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/projects.html

You can buy from Victorian shops and be satisfied. But better decide what you want to buy to get started, then decide whether you can afford what you want, then we can suggest places to buy.

Cheers
Eric
Old 28-10-2008, 03:59 PM
newguy (Callen)

thanks erick
will check this links now
Old 28-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Callen,

Have you been to a star night to have a look through some telescopes? It's great way to get a good idea of what you're likely to see through different scopes. It's also a great way to learn a few constellations so that you'll be able to find your way around. I agree with Eric that deciding what you want is a good step before finding the shop.

The Astronomical Society of Victoria has links to local societies at http://www.asv.org.au/index.php?opti...tpage&Itemid=1

What area do you live in?

I would also like to say that I have had no problems dealing with dealers in Victoria.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:55 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

By the way, Callen, coming up end of Nov, there is an option to get fully immersed and learn a lot:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=30107

You could visit for a day/evening. It's a bit out of Melbourne, but it's out where the skies are dark and there will be lots of scopes and people observing and taking photos - you'll see the lot!
Old 28-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Whizgig (Eugene)
Galaxy Gazer

My advice to you is to buy from a shop at lest then you can see what you are buying, I brought mine and my binoculars from an online shop and it was the worst thing I ever did. I ended up with a scope that was junk and terrestrial binoculars not astronomy ones. When I first got them I couldn't see a thing properly and the binoculars were so far out I felt sick when I used them and it has taken me quite some time to get them up to scratch but only thanks to Eric and the members at my club here in Geelong.
Old 28-10-2008, 07:30 PM
newguy (Callen)

thanks guys all advice appreciated!

i live in eltham north Paddy and will check out that link

those other links gave me a better idea of what i'm after Eric. although i don't understand all the telescope terms i get the gist of what they do. i am probably after a newtonian dob as it sounds the best overall for a beginner. i'm willing to spend a fair bit for qaulity optics and mounting.

the event in november sounds great, but i can't commit to it now due to work and will definitely think about it.

i'm just so keen to get into it

thanks again
Old 28-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

It might be worth contacting someone at ASV as they have events at a dark site near Heathcote. I think they might also have telescopes which members can borrow. I see from their web site that they have a "New Astronmers Group". Might be worth checking out. Some IIS members will know more than I do. There might also be IIS members close to you who might offer you some time to help you get started. It will make quite a difference if you can look through some scopes, and even get someone to show you what you can do with some binoculars.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:14 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

ASV Loan Scopes

Callen
The ASV do have a loan telescope scheme. I have one on loan at the moment.
You get a very solid 8" Dob with a nice finderscope, a observers guide and a copy of Nortons Atlas. The atlas is old (mine was published in 1954 but is still useful). You also get a couple of eyepieces (10mm and 25mm Plossls and a barlow) cost is $60 with $50 of that being a deposit.
Scope is very easy to use, I took mine up to vicsouth and had a lot od fun with it. By comparing it with other scopes at the Star Party I havbe got some very definite ideas on what I want next!
Malcolm
Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 AM
B.Wilson
B Wilson

Dont go to Heathcote.Went several years ago,met terrific people,bought 10 inch dob and started the downhill path!!!!!
Just NEED that extra eyepiece,NEED filters,NEED new laptop etc.
Have fun and learn,great place to go
Brendyn
Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Callen, In regards to shops vs. online: I have used both and you need to weigh up the pro's and cons of both.

With a shopfront you are almost guaranteed personal service and advice from staff who are amateur astronomers themselves. And you will get service backup. I have used both of these two shops in Melbourne and would recommend both of them.

Online can be cheaper, but if you need to send any items back you may strike shipping costs, even for items under warranty. Also from personal experience, when buying on line, to save costs the online store ships direct from the warehouse to your front door, so the onus is on you to prove is there is any faults or problems upon arrival. If you buy from a shopfront, at least you can take the item back and physically show the staff what the issue is.