Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2014, 07:13 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

Thwarted by clouds

This is my first attempt at a high-resolution full lunar photo-mosaic. Managed to capture these 36 panels last night before the clouds rolled in. Image data was in near-infra-red light using SharpCap, with each panel totaling about 800 frames (each at 3ms). The best 50 frames for each panel were then combined with AutoStakkert, and all the panels were then photo-stitched together using Microsoft ICE, with some finishing touches in PixInsight.
The camera is a QHY5LII, telescope is an 8inch newtonian with a 2.5x barlow. Effective focal length of 3000mm @ f15.

Hi res here: http://www.astrobin.com/full/133434/0/

The atmospheric seeing conditions were somewhat variable throughout the capture, so if you look closely at the hi res you'll see that some areas are much sharper than others (with one particularly dodgy area to the bottom of the image). The weather looks clear for tonight so i'm hoping to improve on this initial effort.

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture_2014_11_01T22_04_32_g3_b3_ap7_stitch_decon_sm.jpg)
108.3 KB58 views
Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Paul Haese

Looks good Richard despite the small blurred area down the bottom. Seeing was good last night at Clayton with almost nil variation in the guiding. So I suspect you got some pretty reasonable stuff from your second run.