Old 17-12-2011, 02:26 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Map

The attached SkyMapPro map shows the position of Comet Lovejoy at 5am DST for the next 3 weeks.
On 20/12 it is 1.3 deg to the right of M62. On 25/12 it will be 0.8 deg below NGC 6231.
The map is looking SE with the horizon in grey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (comet lovejoy 111218.jpg)
95.8 KB190 views

Last edited by glenc; 17-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 17-12-2011, 02:59 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Excellent!

On Christmas Eve it will be easy to find, being right next to the lovely orange star Zeta2 in Scorpius' tail

Hey Terry, thanks for your Christmas Comet
Old 17-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Liz

I was out pre sunrise this am taking pics, but wishful thinking on my part, but will keep at it.

Absolutely Ken, a great little Xmas comet for us from Santa Terry, fingers crossed.

Well done on that image Terry, wow!!
Old 17-12-2011, 06:40 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Thanks for the chart Glen. I appreciate that.
Old 18-12-2011, 08:11 AM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Thanks Glen, greatly appreciated.

Cheers Petra d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenc View Post
The attached SkyMapPro map shows the position of Comet Lovejoy at 5am DST for the next 3 weeks.
On 20/12 it is 1.3 deg to the right of M62. On 25/12 it will be 0.8 deg below NGC 6231.
The map is looking SE with the horizon in grey.
Old 18-12-2011, 09:07 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Morning Comet Watchers
Already we are seeing good photos of Terrys Comet.
This one from spaceweather.com
http://www.spaceweather.com/images20...q8bjebn3gjhjp4
Looks like it could put on quite a show if this photo is anything to go by !
Old 18-12-2011, 11:06 AM
mikerr (Michael)

Putting 5am on the 25th December into Stellarium shows zeta Sco about 16 degrees above the horizon using the Alt Az grid. Aproximately halfway between East and South. Looks to be reasonably dark also!

Michael
Old 18-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

This video is currently doing the rounds on facebook (tks for the share Nettie)- and rightly so. It's a terrific video montage of tough comet Lovejoy, entitled "The Ballad of Comet Lovejoy- The Comet That Could."
Put together by some fine people on the ground there at the pulse of where it was all happening such as that wonderful rubber chook, Camilla SDO (NASA's mascot). She's a fan of Terry's.

Terry - it must be quite humbling to see this video!
Brings a *gulp* to my throat and I didn't even discover it.
Old 18-12-2011, 03:02 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Must get up tomorow early and see if I can get a look
What a comet
Cheers
Old 18-12-2011, 03:32 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Fantastic result all round. Thanks Terry.

I thought I saw a familiar background in the SOHO LASCO C3 image. If you look carefully you can see the Lagoon Nebula and Sag star cloud.

So I got out my trusty Registar and with my widefield from here

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=79745

and the latest lasco image we get the result below.

It really shows how bright this comet is!

Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Combine1_4.jpg)
171.8 KB82 views
Old 18-12-2011, 04:17 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

that spaceweather front page image reminds of C/2000 WM1 LINEAR in early 2002, nearly 10 years ago! with dust parabolic hood with dark lane WOW, .. wow doesnt cut it actually
Old 18-12-2011, 04:29 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

and oh! thanks for the southern Comet Terry altho be much more famous if a nothern hemisphere favouring one i 'spose, .. equatorials would of been the most diplomatic thing to do
Old 18-12-2011, 04:49 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Thanks Bert for showing us M8 near the Sun.
Old 18-12-2011, 07:56 PM
CometGuy

It has certainly been a whirlwind 3 weeks!

From a media point of view news of the comet has made many of the technology type sites like gizmo, etc, which is how many of the people at my work have found out! In some parts of the world it has made general news. My wife is being asked about the comet on her non-astronomy interest forums - so I think the comet is getting plenty attention. The attention is focused more on the comet rather than me (which is how I prefer it!)....and the ballad well thats a nice gesture

Im still in mild state of shock to say the least. Thinking it was less than 3 weeks ago that I nearly dismissed a "reflection" in my images. Then having that object be found to a rare Kreutz sungrazing group and then seeing it with my own eyes was a tremendous thrill. But nothing prepared me for the display it put on for the SDO, SOHO and STEREO solar space observatories. Watching it tunnel through the sun's corona in near realtime then reappear on the other side was a real thrill.

When I saw the comet reappear on the otherside of the sun, I remember thinking whether the comet would just emerge as asteroidal object exhausted of all volatiles. Then sure enough a small asteriodal object soon emerged in the COR1 STEREO coronograph images. It did look like it was spent. Watching the first few images (which are very low-res) the tail was gone and it looked much fainter. However, as more frames downloaded from COR1, there seemed to be a rapid brightening trend and it seemed a tail was reforming! In the SOHO imagery it was amazing seeing the comets tail dismembered from the comet.

Within 24 hours, the comet was looking healthier and brighter than before perihelion.

Now it looks like the comet is going to re-emerge into our morning skies as a very fine comet. Maybe not in the same league of McNaught but a nice comet none-the-less.

Lastly, thanks again for all the kind comments.

Terry
Old 18-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
This video is currently doing the rounds on facebook (tks for the share Nettie)- and rightly so. It's a terrific video montage of tough comet Lovejoy, entitled "The Ballad of Comet Lovejoy- The Comet That Could."
Put together by some fine people on the ground there at the pulse of where it was all happening such as that wonderful rubber chook, Camilla SDO (NASA's mascot). She's a fan of Terry's.
This was great, thanks for sharing! Loved the SDO footage - seeing the tail wiggling about in the corona was something new for me.
Old 19-12-2011, 01:45 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Congratulations Terry and thanks for telling us about your experience as your comet rounded the Sun.
Old 19-12-2011, 04:46 AM
luigi

This comet is making me wake up at 4am every morning to try to get it.
And I like it!

Thanks Terry for the Report, I hope this comet puts a nice show for all the astrobuffs in the south hemisphere.

Question: How bright do you think it will be and when?
Reformulation of the question: If your wife would give you 1 day to go and photograph the comet when would you go?
Old 19-12-2011, 05:43 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Comet ? Sky ? where ?
Must be somewhere above that grey and wet stuff we have had for the last two weeks or so.
With a bit of luck there might, just might be some clear sky here before Xmas and I might, just might get a chance to see it.
Nobody buy nuffiin !!

cheers
Brent
Old 19-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Liz

I popped out this am for an hour pre dawn, in the hope of maybe glimpsing .... something.

Quite a few clouds around, but were moving pretty quickly. Saw Mars for the first time for ages, and it has brightened a lot since previously seen. Also Saturn in Virgo was looking good.

Comet is tricky at the moment, though know others have seen it around the world. It is very low in the east, and for me this am, that was associated with a low lying bank of cloud embedded in the sky glow of Townsville and the lightening in east pre sunrise, and a Moon, which will be down lower tomorrow as well!!

Took quite a few pics and will check them out later, but dont think there was anything. Thnk I was hoping for a little bright streak with the Sun shining on a little Lovejoy tail.
Old 19-12-2011, 07:10 AM
CometGuy

I think the best time to see the comet is from this weekend onwards. Pick a clear day! It will obviously be fading quickly but climbing higher into a dark sky. I have been watching the STEREO H1 raw videos and the dust tail has grown to close to 10 degrees, so we may soon see a faint streak of tail pointing up out from the morning twilight.

Terry