Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-01-2012, 07:19 AM
robocat

Question Difficulty attaching eyepiece to new 8" Saxon Dob.

I recently purchased an 8" Saxon dobsonian (my first telescope). Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty attaching the eyepiece. Up until this point its been incredibly straightforward to set up. According to the instruction manual I simply have to remove the end-cap and insert the eyepiece.

http://i.imgur.com/qWRgWl.jpg

However as you can see, with the end-cap removed, there is nowhere to insert the eyepiece.

http://i.imgur.com/vGHnBl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BSHl3l.jpg

It seems as though either a step or two has been omitted from the instructions or a part is missing from the scope. These are the pieces that came in the box:

http://i.imgur.com/JDSZPl.jpg

According to the parts list, nothing is missing.

http://i.imgur.com/lkzF2l.jpg

I experimented a little and came up with this (I have no idea what the hell to do with the 2" eyepiece adapter though.).

http://i.imgur.com/C5Nq8l.jpg

It all seems to fit together nicely but it just doesn't look right.

Below is the next page of the manual:

http://i.imgur.com/vAapll.jpg

First of all, according to the above diagram, the eyepiece should have that little rim above it. Secondly, I'm assuming the long narrow attachment I have the eyepiece inserted in is the barlow lens. But given that this is an optional component, shouldn't there be an alternate way to insert the eyepiece?

This is probably a ridiculously stupid question, I'm so embarrassed to be posting this, especially given how easy people claim this scope is to set up. I've been trying to figure this out for hours and I just don't know what else to do.

Thanks for your time, I apologize for my idiocy and gratuitous use of images.

Last edited by robocat; 29-01-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 29-01-2012, 07:40 AM
mozzie (Peter)

hi robocat
your focuser has the ability to change between 2"eyepieces and 1 1/14" eyepieces...your first picture is just of the focuser put the larger adapter in tighten the grub screws and take out the end cap,then place in your 2"eyepiece and tighten the 2 grub screws know the 2"eyepiece is ready to use
know for 1 1/4"eyepieces remove eyepiece and adapter there should be another adapter same size as last with a smaller opening at top to take 1 1/4"eyepieces do the same with this adapter as the 2"one and you should be right to go..
any problems please feel free to post...
Old 29-01-2012, 07:49 AM
mozzie (Peter)

on your second last picture it's all looking fine for your 1 1/4" eyepieces.you have done well...for the 2" adapter use it later when you buy 2" eyepieces and the endless wallet as you have just started and the astro bug is going to bit hard and it gets expensive .
also in that 2nd last picture does your focuser move up and downusing the large wheels on either side if not have you noticed the large silver grub screw underneath that has to be released for the focuser to work,unscrew it a couple of turns....when finished with your scope and packing it away turn your focuser all the way in then tighten that large grub screw...know when you turn the large wheel on side of focuser it doesn't go in or out...a safety function so as not to damage focuser....
keep the questions coming......
Old 29-01-2012, 08:08 AM
robocat

Thanks for replying Mozzie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzie View Post
on your second last picture it's all looking fine for your 1 1/4" eyepieces.you have done well...for the 2" adapter use it later when you buy 2" eyepieces
Great! I'm glad to know I've got it assembled correctly, looks like I was just over thinking it. As you can see on the parts list, the included eyepieces are labelled as 2" for some reason which I guess is one of the things that confused me regarding the adapter/s. That along with the fact that a 1 1/4" adapter isn't included on the parts list which lead me to incorrectly assume that it was a barlow lens as depicted on a later page in the manual.

Thanks again for your help
Old 29-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Sarge (Rod)

Glad you worked it out robocat. The saxon has the same focuser as the skywatcher. It is a little different to most, in that both the 1 1/4" and 2" are separate adapters. The focuser will not work without one of the adapters attached. You fit either one depending on your eyepieces, but can't have them both attached at the same time. I found it a quite acceptable focuser, but it wasn't able to cope with the large heavier eyepieces and is only a single speed (one control knob).

Clear skies
Rod
Old 29-01-2012, 01:35 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Don't worry, robocat, this "feature" of these scopes traps many people. It is the manufacturer who doesn't know what they are doing. I've never heard an explanation why the focusser isn't 2" without any adapters. Makes no sense to me.
Old 29-01-2012, 06:03 PM
robocat

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I feel a little stupid but I'm glad I've got it sorted out now. Looking forward to tonight!
Old 29-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Smigatron (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Don't worry, robocat, this "feature" of these scopes traps many people. It is the manufacturer who doesn't know what they are doing. I've never heard an explanation why the focusser isn't 2" without any adapters. Makes no sense to me.
Nostalgia
Old 29-01-2012, 07:45 PM
mozzie (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocat View Post
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I feel a little stupid but I'm glad I've got it sorted out now. Looking forward to tonight!
half your luck the rain hasn't stopped for ages and we were flooded in 3 days ago...............
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
astro_nutt

Hi robocat.
I actually brought a Saxon 8"dob some 11 years ago. I sold it a few years back and the new owner is more than happy with the views it gives. Ive washed the primary mirror twice and the secondary once. I used a dab of "Goss" dry lube on the focuser tube and buff off once a year to keep it smooth. Also the dob base pieces had a smear of silicone on the bare wood bits and allowed to dry before assembly.
This scope holds it's collimation very well too.
I trust you'll have many years of enjoyment with your scope.
Cheers!