Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-11-2015, 01:23 AM
Legin (Nigel)

New Astrophotography set up

Hello,

I have finally taken the plunge and obtained a pretty good set up to get started in Astrophotography.

I purchased a ED80T and a NEQ6 mount plus a nice 60mm guide scope. I think this is a pretty good first set up. The idea being the shorter focal length will be far more forgiving and allow me learn (at least in theory).

I have to say the visual views are amazing even for a small scope. I also have a 12 inch Newtonian but I often find myself just getting out the ED80T. The telescope is as light as a feather. The NEQ6 gives me a bit of a work out when I drag it in and out though.

While I have pretty much obtained reasonable polar alignment I think I can get it a bit better.

Anyone know of any good tutorials for it. I understand the basics and have it pretty much ok. But if anyone knows any easy to follow steps then please let me know.
Old 24-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

That is a pretty nice first setup :-) Short focal lengths are so much better to work on, from what I have heard anyway, I am still yet to venture past a refractor hehe :-)
Old 24-11-2015, 07:35 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

If you drag your mount out to the same place every time then when you get a good alignment mark the spots for each leg. I put paint spots on the driveway and made a simple levelling base for the slight slope.
I also did a solar noon Nth/Sth line to start with and a big T square gave me East/West.
If you are using a DSLR camera on the scope you can also do the stop start Drift check.
Get your Dec right first with an Inclinometer app on your phone or tablet, something with a nice straight edge.
Start a longish exposure 30-60 secs with camera pointed towards abright star near zenith, Stop tracking for about half the exposure time then fast forward the mount to capture an offset trail.
The exposure should give you a V shaped pair of trails showing the difference start adjustiing to eliminate the V.
There are software supported (PHD2 eg) which can do all this for you as well. You can minimise this with a consistent setup but one day you'll decide it's time to build an Ob ! There is no turning back ....
Old 24-11-2015, 12:06 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

To continue on to what ZeroID says , if you observe on the lawn and after careful alignment you go out and buy 3 plastic tent pegs and bang these down flush with the earth where the 3 tripod legs are , these have a small dimple on top thy take the tripod leg tips perfectly .

Also mark the legs so you get the lengths the same every time and by setting the tripod on top of the 3 plastic pegs you are polar aligned every time .

Brian.
Old 25-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Sarge (Rod)

To continue with Brian's suggestion, I set three small pavers into the lawn for the tripod legs and marked the leg positions on the pavers. For Polar align I have used Alignmaster and PHD2, both worked quite well. I now use Astro Tortilla, which I find easier and quicker plus it also allows me to plate solve and frame.

Clear skies

Rod
Old 26-11-2015, 06:43 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

This thread feels like a 'But Wait !! there's more ' advert ...