Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Sheap

Object Suggestions

I have a 8" f/6 dob, but i dont know too many objects too see, ive spent a fair few hours looking at jupiter and saturn, but ive been wanting to look at some DSOs, ive looked at a globular cluster or 2, the jewel box, the orion nebula, but i havnt been able to see any galaxies yet. Ive looked for the Large and small magelenic clouds, but i cant see anything where ive been thinking they are. I think there is too much light polution in my area. To give an indication of how much light there is, i can barely make out the omega centauri globular cluster with the naked eye.
Any suggestions of galaxy names or nebulas would be much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:25 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

The Galaxies M83 In Hydra and M104 in Virgo should be quite accesable in moderate light polluted skies.

Bright Nebulae include M8 and M20 in Sagittarius and M17 in Serpans.

I hope this helps Mick.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Galaxies are going to be a bit difficult from where you are. You also need to wait for clearer skies. Sky is always hazy near Melbourne right now.

Probably the easiest galaxy atm is NGC 5128. You should be able to make out the wide dust lane separating the two halves on a clear day. M104 and M83 that Mick already mentioned are worth checking out too. NGC 253 and NGC 55 will make good targets in a few months

You will find lots of bright DSOs along the stretch of sky between the cross and false cross (i.e., eta carinae and friends), and near the galactic centre by the teapot in Sagittarius. Scan the area with binos to spot the brighter nebulae and star clusters.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:52 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

The star maps in Sky and Telescope and Sky and Space have a great selection of brighter DSO's marked on them for you to find.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheap
Any suggestions of galaxy names or nebulas would be much appreciated.
If you have seen Omega Centauri then you can easily find 2 nearby galaxies.
If you found Omega by making a line (star hopping) from Beta Centauri to Epsilon cCntauri to Omega, simply make a new line from Omega Centauri to Ioto Centauri. Half way along this line is the galaxy NGC5128 (Centaurus A). This galaxy is mag6.7 and has a dark lane.

To find the other galaxy make a line from Omega Centauri to Gamma Centauri. Half way along this line and slightly South (towards the south cel pole) you will find galaxy NGC4945 (a big edge on galaxy). This one is much fainter though at mag9.0.

If you can get up nice and early at about 5am (half an hour or so before twilight starts), you can start to see the giant Andromeda galaxy M31 low on the NNE horizon, or you can wait until the spring/summer like the rest of us.
The Silver Coin galaxy NGC253 rises in the east at about 1am. This one is also large, mag7.6.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:40 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

you seem to have about the same amount of light pollution as me... there'll be heaps to nebs and galaxies to choose from. dont expect too much detail from galaxies tho. most will be fuzzy blobs..

may i sugest some doubles?