Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 PM
kalmarau

Advice on mounts for Maks and/or Schmidt

Hello all,
I am trying to get back into a hobby that I gave up many decades ago. I bought a tiny little 3" Newt to take camping down to Bateman's Bay. The girls and I were blown away by the night sky. But back in Sydney, um, not so good.

I want something with more aperture, but it still has to be very portable since it will be travelling out of Sydney often - and it will have to fight for room in a Camry with four people. So I've ruled out a dob, and I'm eyeing off some 6" Maks and 8" Maks or 8" Schmidt's.

What has got me confused is the different mounts available, what with all the various clone EQ5, HEQ5, and EQ6 models out there. I am uncertain how hefty a mount I would need for these sorts of tubes.

It will be used (mainly) for the planets. Visual use only. I can not possibly afford goto, nor any of the Meade fork mounted wonders. Even the LXD75 8" Schmidt is too rich for me. I would like an equatorial, since that is all I have ever used. A single-axis drive would be nice, but I've only ever used manual tracking before.

So, basically, any advice gratefully received. Is a 6" Mak suitable for planetary viewing, and will I get much better views with an 8" Mak or Schmidt? How hefty a mount do I need with either of those two apertures?

Cheers,
John
Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

and to the site John.

You might want to check out Myastroshop or Andrews Communication for your needs and even then only with a 5" scope or smaller. I would suggest though staying away from any mount less than an eq3 (these can easily be motorized). If you can afford it preferably go for an EQ5 and put an RA drive on that. If at a later date you can afford to upgrade a bit you can put an Argo Navis on it or a Skyscan kit for pushto or goto
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 AM
h0ughy (David)

Hi Kalamaru, andrews has a eq5 mount with goto available for $1000, actually 999 in his surplus specials page, it is brand new. You can buy any OTA you like up to 6-8inches you like to mount on it.

Also not an alternative, 20 x 80 triplet binos or 25 x 100 binos from andrews or AOE for less than $500, you get to see saturn and the ring, heaps of stars, nebulae and galaxies jupiter and its moons (=note the image scale on the planets is not close up of course) and the best thing is that all you need is a good tripod to mount the binos or make one up! very much value for money as they are easily packed in a car, you dont need batteries, just a star guide and maps.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:32 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

instead of crossing off dobs on your list why not consider a meade lightbridge truss dob? you could pull it apart and fit it easily in your car. It wouldnt take up any more room than the mak and tripod you are considering and would cost less
Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
kalmarau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving
instead of crossing off dobs on your list why not consider a meade lightbridge truss dob? you could pull it apart and fit it easily in your car. It wouldnt take up any more room than the mak and tripod you are considering and would cost less
I had thought about the lightbridge - I looked one over at bintel, and it certainly appeared as though it would break down into a small package. I was turned off it by the thought that it probably needs to be reassembled in daylight, and then recollimated.

So it might be a fine choice if I was going to be in a location where I can set it up during the day, and then leave it there until nightfall. But I suspect that is not how things will work out - I'll be going somewhere at dusk, setting up and waiting for the scope to cool, and then having a look.

I understand that I can get an 8" lightbridge for a whole lot less than an equivalent Schmidt, but I am not so sure that it is as easy an option in the field.

Does this make sense?

Cheers,
John
Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 PM
kalmarau

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders]
and to the site John.

You might want to check out Myastroshop or Andrews Communication for your needs and even then only with a 5" scope or smaller. I would suggest though staying away from any mount less than an eq3 (these can easily be motorized). If you can afford it preferably go for an EQ5 and put an RA drive on that. If at a later date you can afford to upgrade a bit you can put an Argo Navis on it or a Skyscan kit for pushto or goto
Thanks for the advice. Are you saying that if I want something bigger than 5" then I should go to someone other than those two vendors?

I was thinking about the EQ5-style mount. As far as I can see from various web sites that is the same as the Orion SkyView mount.

This is the bit I find most confusing - is the SkyView superior in fit and finish to the generic no-name EQ5 models, or do they all come out of the same factory? I understand that there are higher quality mounts like the Vixen models, but getting one of those would push me well over budget.

Cheers,
John
Old 07-06-2006, 06:16 PM
kalmarau

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy
Hi Kalamaru, andrews has a eq5 mount with goto available for $1000, actually 999 in his surplus specials page, it is brand new. You can buy any OTA you like up to 6-8inches you like to mount on it.

Also not an alternative, 20 x 80 triplet binos or 25 x 100 binos from andrews or AOE for less than $500, you get to see saturn and the ring, heaps of stars, nebulae and galaxies jupiter and its moons (=note the image scale on the planets is not close up of course) and the best thing is that all you need is a good tripod to mount the binos or make one up! very much value for money as they are easily packed in a car, you dont need batteries, just a star guide and maps.
I have been to Andrews web site, but I must confess it has left me somewhat confused. Under the "Andrews" link there is a EQ4C for $299, which I assume is a ripoff of a EQ5 ripoff of a Vixen mount. I think. I have not really seen the name "EQ4" anywhere else.

Then under the "Guan Seng" link there is a SkyView I for $299, which I think is a chinese ripoff of a Orion Skyview. Perhaps. Not to mention the GSO SkyView II for $699, though I don't know what to think regarding this one - is *that* the chinese ripoff of the Orion SkyView? It's certainly the same price and the Orion model that is sold at Bintel.

Under "Skywatcher" there is an EQ5 for $499, and a HEQ5 for $999 - which is the model I think you are referring to.

So I *think* these are all generic terms, and not trademarks or brands. Which means that when I buy an EQ5 or a HEQ5 I really don't know where it has come from. Correct?

It might be simpler to just buy a package. Andrews sells an Saxon 8" Mak on a "EQ5C" for $1,699, and an "Andrews no-name" 6" Mak on a "EQ5C" for $999. Anyone have any experience with these? Any good? Or a dead-set waste of money?

Cheers,
John
Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Are you saying that if I want something bigger than 5" then I should go to someone other than those two vendors?
No just that if you are looking for a scope with a larger diameter than 5" then you should consider a larger mount such as the EQ5 or HEQ5.

Most of the mounts you are describing (the generic EQs mostly come from China in not the same factory) Andrews can offer cheaper prices than most other dealers as they only sell, they have no telescope repair shop and limited after sales service, which suits some. I'm not sure about Myastroshop, though feedback from others has been very positive.

Bintel and others have higher prices for often identical epuipment. Those suppliers that operate out of a shop eg Bintel often check the products and do a basic presale service,before they leave the shop as well as offering a higher level aftersales service.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmarau
I had thought about the lightbridge - I looked one over at bintel, and it certainly appeared as though it would break down into a small package. I was turned off it by the thought that it probably needs to be reassembled in daylight, and then recollimated.

So it might be a fine choice if I was going to be in a location where I can set it up during the day, and then leave it there until nightfall. But I suspect that is not how things will work out - I'll be going somewhere at dusk, setting up and waiting for the scope to cool, and then having a look.

I understand that I can get an 8" lightbridge for a whole lot less than an equivalent Schmidt, but I am not so sure that it is as easy an option in the field.

Does this make sense?

Cheers,
John
hi again John,
astronut on this forum has the 12" lightbridge. I have seen him put it together in the dark no problems. if you start of in the light when you get it, collimate it and then label the truss poles so that each time you put it back together the poles go in the exact same spot then collimation (i am lead to believe) is minimal each time you put it together.... talk to astronut about it if you are interested... he can put his together blindfolded (or so he says ).

really, this would be a good way for you to get more aperture as getting something on an eq5 or greater mount will cost you alot more and so you will probably get less aperture. makes sense if you arent doing astrophotography
meade isnt paying me to say this
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 AM
kalmarau

Quote:
hi again John,
astronut on this forum has the 12" lightbridge. I have seen him put it together in the dark no problems. if you start of in the light when you get it, collimate it and then label the truss poles so that each time you put it back together the poles go in the exact same spot then collimation (i am lead to believe) is minimal each time you put it together.... talk to astronut about it if you are interested... he can put his together blindfolded (or so he says ).

really, this would be a good way for you to get more aperture as getting something on an eq5 or greater mount will cost you alot more and so you will probably get less aperture. makes sense if you arent doing astrophotography
meade isnt paying me to say this
I am certain that the advice is impartial .

I understand that you don't own one of these dobs, but there are two more questions I have regarding them: (1) since they are truss dobs are they sufficiently baffled for use in my (very) light-polluted backyard in Sydney, as well as out bush? (2) are they too tall for smaller children (6 and 8) to look thru the eyepiece when the thing is pointing straight up?

I appreciate how much cheaper dobs are, it's just that I've never owned one; $900-$1,000 is still a lot to plonk down and then find that it frustrates rather than fulfills.

Cheers,
John
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 AM
kalmarau

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders]
No just that if you are looking for a scope with a larger diameter than 5" then you should consider a larger mount such as the EQ5 or HEQ5.

Most of the mounts you are describing (the generic EQs mostly come from China in not the same factory) Andrews can offer cheaper prices than most other dealers as they only sell, they have no telescope repair shop and limited after sales service, which suits some. I'm not sure about Myastroshop, though feedback from others has been very positive.

Bintel and others have higher prices for often identical epuipment. Those suppliers that operate out of a shop eg Bintel often check the products and do a basic presale service,before they leave the shop as well as offering a higher level aftersales service.
I understand now. My apologies if it looked like I was putting words in your mouth. Bintel seem to sell the recognized brands, while many of the others appear to be rebadged Saxon or Skywatcher models which are, I believe, all chinese.

While I can easily believe that the mounts on these chinese models might be a little rough and ready, I was wondering about the quality of the optics - are the Saxon and the Skywatcher OTA's significantly worse that the Meade's and the Celestron's, or are they all coming from China nowadays?

After all, if I buy a rebadged Saxon Maksutov and find that it's mount is crap, well, I can upgrade that at my leasure. But if the optics are shoddy then there is no real point in buying the thing in the first place.

Cheers,
John
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
I am certain that the advice is impartial .

I understand that you don't own one of these dobs, but there are two more questions I have regarding them: (1) since they are truss dobs are they sufficiently baffled for use in my (very) light-polluted backyard in Sydney, as well as out bush? (2) are they too tall for smaller children (6 and 8) to look thru the eyepiece when the thing is pointing straight up?

I appreciate how much cheaper dobs are, it's just that I've never owned one; $900-$1,000 is still a lot to plonk down and then find that it frustrates rather than fulfills.

Cheers,
John
1. you could create a light shroud out of non-reflective material to stop stray light from entering the light path. this can be done cheaply

2. depends on what size you get i assume. with the 8" you would probably be seated. your kids could reach the EP easily. I have a 8" f6 GSO and i have to sit or i get a sore back from leaning over it all the time, so an adjustable hight chair comes in handy....

am i coming close to convincing you?

dobs arent cheap because thier optics are inferior, they just lack the intricate mechanics of an EQ.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 PM
kalmarau

Quote:
1. you could create a light shroud out of non-reflective material to stop stray light from entering the light path. this can be done cheaply

2. depends on what size you get i assume. with the 8" you would probably be seated. your kids could reach the EP easily. I have a 8" f6 GSO and i have to sit or i get a sore back from leaning over it all the time, so an adjustable hight chair comes in handy....

am i coming close to convincing you?
It would be more accurate to say you have made me pause and think long and hard about this. The lower price of the dob is definitely attractive. Though to my eyes a truss dob doesn't look as sexy as a Maksutov

More seriously, the problem I have is that I am unfamiliar with them, and I uncertain how "handy" they are when you have kids wanting to take turns looking down the eyepiece. If I have to constantly move them out of the way to recentre the planet then it gets no fun for them nor, I suspect, for me. With an equatorial mount I can put a drive on it and the planet will stay there no matter how many kids take their turn.

Since the truss dob would be the only type that will fit into a smallish car I would be taking a leap into the unknown - if the dob mount becomes annoying I doubt that I would be able to plonk a truss tube onto a EQ mount.
I'm not discounting what you say, since I joined this forum to ask for but I'm going to have to play with one before I am convinced a dob is the scope for me.

I've got the time, since the Saxon 8" Maksutov's can't be found for love or money for another 8 weeks. Or so I am told. Still haven't found any online reviews for it.

BTW are the Saxon Maksutov's the same as the Sky-watcher brand?
It's all so confusing.....

Cheers,
John
Old 16-06-2006, 01:52 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Quote:
I have been to Andrews web site,......

Under "Skywatcher" there is an EQ5 for $499, and a HEQ5 for $999 - which is the model I think you are referring to.
John,

I bought a CG-5 GoTo mount from Andrews yesterday, Lee has two variants that differ only in controllers. For $999 you get the steel 2" diameter leg tripod, CG-5 GT mount and hand controller circa 40,000 stars. For $1,199 you get a newer version of the mount which is flash upgradeable from the internet.

I expect a CG-5 will manage up to a 9" SCT so long as serious, long duration astro-photography isn't your intent.

You then need a power supply (e.g. Celestron Tank (Battery, charger and llight), OTA, finderscope and lotsa warm clothing.