Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-05-2006, 10:44 PM
wraithe

new to forum...

hey people, just found this forum via boinc stats.. I noticed you have a team in the boinc projects and will probably join soon..I'm into astronomy as a hobby, but my intentions are to use pc's to do all the hard work so i can sleep at night...lol..A few of you will realise prity quickly that i'm as mad as a hatter and linux mad at that.. A few questions, who are the boinc crunchers here and the linux nutters.. knowing them will make me feel better.. i have 3x pc's going 24/7 but it is just to kill time till i get a bit more hardware and start doing some serious hobby'ing..
At the moment my pc's are 1x sempron, 1x2.4 celeron and 1x2.66 celeron-D..
the celerons are running mandriva 2006 with boinc running as a daemon(and they are minmum installs), the sempron runs, win-xp,mandriva2006x86,ubuntux86_64, and centosx86_64..
in the pipeline is a dual cpu, duel core opteron, but it has a purpose..
My most important job is to raise my son, the pc's take second or third place to him..But pc's and astronomy are one to me..Probably last on the list is to find a good man, but alas i do find being the boss in my home is important so i may grow into an old spinster...lol..
Anyway i will welcome any info in regards to your boinc team and in time will get to know my way round the forum..
Old 19-05-2006, 11:29 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Wraithe! I am a linux user (more of a user than a nutter ) but I don't know much about boinc. What do your PCs actually do while they are running 24/7? Where does astronomy fit in?
Old 20-05-2006, 12:18 AM
wraithe

my interest lies in radio astronomy... but i run boinc for crunching seti and einstein and ..etc.. its just killing time and allows me to sort out any bugs and problems i have in an OS.. I was out of computers for 10 yrs, (had one i turned on occasionally but no serious things on it) so i have a bit of catching up to do..
There are a few projects with boinc that are based on some form of astronomical study.. and a couple that are on the drawing board.. I think funding is holding one or two back.. seti@home is probably the most famous one..another that is lacking funding is orbit@home(this is NASA i think, and its to search for any asteroids or large object that may collide with earth).. einstein is a physics project..
So yes it can have a connection with astronomy, and there are lots of projects for research of other things like disease research and so forth...
I am very serious with linux but have a philosify(dictionary plz), Enjoy life to its full and hope that everyone around me does too...
Old 20-05-2006, 12:59 AM
nightsky
Aus Irish Bi Cen Flag

Thumbs up Welcome

Welcome to the group but you should get your self a "Real" computer "Amiga"
NightSky
Old 20-05-2006, 01:21 AM
wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky
Welcome to the group but you should get your self a "Real" computer "Amiga"
NightSky
Amiga hey...noooo...
if i wanted a real pc then i would need an extremely deep pocket for my tastes...
and it would have to bo a microway opteron cluster...36x quad cpu m/b, with 45 x drives in a nice raid configuration....but then i would need to build a few items to use with it...and i cant afford an array...lmao...
Old 20-05-2006, 01:27 AM
nightsky
Aus Irish Bi Cen Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithe
Amiga hey...noooo...
if i wanted a real pc then i would need an extremely deep pocket for my tastes...
and it would have to bo a microway opteron cluster...36x quad cpu m/b, with 45 x drives in a nice raid configuration....but then i would need to build a few items to use with it...and i cant afford an array...lmao...
G'Day Wraithe,
Of course I was just pulling your leg We Amiga users just like Mac users think there the best things since sliced bread, and of course we all "Hate" Billy's Operating System, if you could call it "Operating"
NightSky

Last edited by nightsky; 20-05-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 20-05-2006, 02:14 AM
wraithe

Must agree in some ways...I'm hooked on linux and after 16 yrs of using it, i must say the bug is still strong...never had a relationship last that long...lol...
As for other OS's, well horses for courses really...
My son uses linux and windows, and i have windows for playing some DVD's but if i can get around that then linux only will be my way...so far its only certain encoding that i cant get around so its not often that i reboot...
There is no distro of linux that i fancy to the enth degree but some are more useful than others...
must admit, i do like kstars that comes with ubuntu..
Amiga have come a long way since the first ones i remember seeing...
i heard somewhere that the company was having problems a while back....what was the story behind that...they are still being made, are they...
Old 20-05-2006, 02:58 AM
nightsky
Aus Irish Bi Cen Flag

G'Day Wraithe,
Yes there still going strong, especially in Nth America,Europe and the UK, it was such a pity that the Australian management let the company go down the drain,the machine was years ahead of it's time, it had "Windows" back in 85 when "Billy" was still playing around with DOS 1.3, you know NASA was using Amiga computers back in the mid 80s right up until Intel made them a deal they could not refuse in the middle 90s, just like the Beta video machines went the way of the dodo bird.all because VHS brain washed the public,yet the Beta left the VHS for dead, ah such is the world we live in,control the Media and you control the world

Last edited by nightsky; 20-05-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 20-05-2006, 09:50 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Welcome to IIS Wraithe, I have a linux box as well, though I wouldn't call myself proficient, I'm just too lazy and set in my ways to divorce myself from ole Bill. That's quite a collection of PC gear you have there, do you have any Astro gear as yet??
Old 20-05-2006, 12:49 PM
wraithe

not really..i only just got my retirement sorted this year and for the last 3 yrs i have been running and hiding...you dont get to keep much by doing that so i have only just started to buy new things this year...so far its been lots of furniture and the pc's...some electronic games and stuff for my son...and jewellery for me..havent bought any for 7 or so yrs..now that was fun... i've got the next 3 months of buying already organised....
a scope is not the only thing i wish to buy but will get one soon as its easier to use than the other bits i want..
I have only had a refractor before but would like a nice reflector...hmm maybe a dobsonian mounted one,, then again equatorial will be better for traking...and of course everything will be done by pc...and i'll be sitting here next to the fire...got a big yard and street lights dont work in this area...before 8 pm is impossible but neighbour turns his outside lights off then and the area is pitch black...
my friends all recon its amazing the darkness around here, but hey i live in snobsville...
so if any body knows of a good telescope or a good one to buy new ...just throw bits of paper at me..or pm's on the screen...lol...

Last edited by wraithe; 20-05-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 20-05-2006, 04:52 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hey, welcome aboard
Old 21-05-2006, 05:48 PM
wraithe

Thank you ving...
love your cow...had one like that years ago, but alas the head fell off...
Old 21-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Welcome to the forum Wraithe...

I personaly cant stand Linux...I love Billy....but if it works for you then good on you....I'm a gamer so Linux sucks to me....great for servers though.

by the looks of it you dont like Pentium processors either......cant blame you even though my main PC is pentium system but my Observatory is an AMD PC.

You have heaps of computer gear and yes you should make astronomy your priority the kids will be fine just visit them once a week....lol
Old 21-05-2006, 09:07 PM
wraithe

Thanks striker, my son recons he has the best mum in town...Pity the guys run when i'm around but hey, thats life...
As for the pentium, umm, Noo, i dont mind the pentium at all..The architecture is fine and the idea of HT (hyper threading) is great..hardware multitasking, what a great concept.. Single core split in two, its what should have been around 20 years ago, but its here now so it is worth using..Just not really that important to me.. The advantage of the larger cache is good too but again not that much of an advantage here..
I have done a bit of research and have a friend that helped me catch up with the new technology..He loves his fast cpu's and is a windows user, so we had fun checking out what is about..opteron would be my favourite architecture, but could do with a bit of a speed up...
As for linux just for servers and no games, umm a lot of games are written on linux and ported across, and it is a great games machine if that is what you like, plus stable too...
Now a few funny's for you guys...
When you refer to Billy, well it does make me laugh, you see my sons name is Billy, not william or bill but Billy...
Old 21-05-2006, 11:03 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Wraithe!
Great to have you on board.
Old 21-05-2006, 11:14 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Does anyone in this thread speak English??? You all lost me with the techo jargon.

I had a 386 computer once, but now I have a better one. Don't know anything about them, I just use them.
Old 23-05-2006, 09:30 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

@ Ken. Vie speeka da english goud.
Old 27-05-2006, 01:19 AM
wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons
Does anyone in this thread speak English??? You all lost me with the techo jargon.

I had a 386 computer once, but now I have a better one. Don't know anything about them, I just use them.
Hmm, 386, model after 286 and previously 8086/8088, 386 was change over to 32 bit architecture.. use to have to buy the cpu and a maths co-processor to have a good cruncher for cad and so forth..
You keeping up yet...
Hey what was that, the words after "hmm"... ok just a bit of gobbly gook, or is that gobbly geek..yeh must be...
rofl...dont worry about it...just me being silly, and that i am...
Thanks for the welcomes and hope you guys can stir well, that way i will feel at home...
Old 27-05-2006, 02:24 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons

LOL, it's like a bizarre foreign language