Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2020, 05:41 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Refurbishing/Servicing/Tweaking a couple of scopes - Advice/Recommendations Please

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but, hey, it's about equipment... so... here goes:

I have decided to put aside my current desires for a Takahashi or replacing my current crop of imaging scopes after considerable thought & some interesting discussions with some very experienced folk. Instead, I have decided to lavish some love and attention on the two scopes I primarily use.

So, the Vixen 130SF which I purchased secondhand at a bargain price from a good friend.

1. Primary needs a good clean - easy enough to do
2. Primary springs could do with replacing - we have a spring manufacturer here in Cairns - so, should be easy to accomplish.
3. Secondary will get a clean & whilst I'm at it I will look at where the collimation screws go & ensure there are no indentations, etc... possibly improve with a washer & clean up the screw tips.
4. Focuser will come off as part of the clean & service - will carefully pull it apart, clean, adjust & regrease.
5. Flocking needs replacement

So, two questions:

1. Can someone recommend a good grease (by brand & type) to use on the focuser components that require grease.
2. Flocking - I'm aware of the Protostar flocking material & the ScopeStuff flocking material but, with shipping costs, they become a little expensive for the amount I need. Also, as everyone is noting, postage seems to take forever at the moment. Can anyone recommend anything that can be purchased locally, is easy to apply & makes for excellent flocking material? Otherwise, does anyone happen to have any of the Protostar or ScopeStuff material, enough to do a 130mm dia. 650mm FL Newtonian they would be willing to sell me?

The Meade 80mm triplet will initially be getting a focuser service & clean to see if that improves some of the 'slippage' issues I have with it. Currently tension screw is done up tight for either heavy EPs or Camera... it's smooth as, just slips a bit... if this doesn't improve things then, I might look at a Moonlite or Feathertouch for it..

Be grateful of any advice, information or tips & tricks

Thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2020, 05:54 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Superlube is available locally and a good grease both in aerosol cans and tubes with a wide range of temperature.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Superlube is available locally and a good grease both in aerosol cans and tubes with a wide range of temperature.
Thanks Marc,

I will have a look online to see where I can get some in Cairns..

Cheers
Old 12-06-2020, 10:33 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

+1 on the superlube. I think I also got mine on eBay or mekatronics
Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
+1 on the superlube. I think I also got mine on eBay or mekatronics
Old 12-06-2020, 10:30 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

One tube of Superlube ordered, thankyou gents...

Now, if I could just find a suitable flocking material available in Australia I'd be all set...