Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Exfso (Peter)

No Response from Bintel

About a week ago I sent an email to Bintel as I wanted more information about the off Axis guiders they have and in particular any additional bits an pieces I might need for my TOA130 hooked up to a modded 40D. Have not heard a thing from them, I know the Melbourne office is going/gone, just wondering if there are issues with Sydney.
Old 17-01-2016, 11:17 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I don't know if I'd expect them to have time to answer that kind of email. There's also the possibility that it got caught in their spam filter.

Either way I'd say it's better to call them.
Old 17-01-2016, 11:20 PM
glend (Glen)

They are not necessarily the oracles of all things astro, and what if's about your setup are usually better dealt with here on IIS. Bintel is a shop and will be able to answer questions about their products.
Old 17-01-2016, 11:25 PM
doppler (Rick)

Best to call them, I have bought stuff of them online and they never email confirmation, the money goes out the bank and the stuff just arrives. A bit slack really.

Don't make me nervous, I ordered a scope from the Melbourne store clearance last week, my money has gone from the bank and the scope should be delivered here Monday or Tuesday.
Old 18-01-2016, 12:36 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Similar here, I emailed them a question about the thread size on field flattener about a month ago... never got a reply.
Old 18-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I got the impression that they are ok with emailing to get information. This would not hold their phones up. Not overly professional one would think. At least some sort of acknowledgement would be nice.
Old 18-01-2016, 03:37 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

well I guess their staff has just halved.
probably worth checking to see if you emailed the Melbourne email or the Sydney one. I emailed them about a week before Christmas and got a phone call a couple of days later - which I did not expect due to the time of year. also entirely possible that it went into their spam file - might be worth a follow up call to sort it out.
Old 18-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Russel, I definitely emailed the Sydney outlet as I knew the Melbourne one was shutting down
Old 21-01-2016, 10:25 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I was speaking to Don at Bintel yesterday and asked about not receiving order acknowledgements by email. They have issues with their system which they are attempting to rectify.

Malcolm
Old 21-01-2016, 01:12 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
I was speaking to Don at Bintel yesterday and asked about not receiving order acknowledgements by email. They have issues with their system which they are attempting to rectify.

Malcolm
I have issues with my emails at work as well. I get too many to read!
Old 26-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Sylvain (Jon)
Stars Chaser

I got a very poor service last time I dropped by the Sydney shop. The staff was rude and not friendly. They got annoyed when I asked technical details. I was not impressed really. I will probably avoid in the future or stick to ordering online for products only they carry.
Old 26-01-2016, 12:21 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
I got a very poor service last time I dropped by the Sydney shop. The staff was rude and not friendly. They got annoyed when I asked technical details. I was not impressed really. I will probably avoid in the future or stick to ordering online for products only they carry.
Now that is most unlike them, I have never found them to be anything but knowledgeable and helpful. I always look forward to my visits to the Sydney Store.
Old 26-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
I have always received superb service from them, and that goes back 30 years or more!
Old 26-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Maybe they are sweating on their jobs as well, in this environment when the economy is totally knackered, who knows
Old 26-01-2016, 03:47 PM
gts055 (Mark)

I too have always found Bintel Sydney to be helpful with sound advice and prompt service. Mark
Old 26-01-2016, 04:48 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Sorry to hear about Sylvain's dealings , but I have had first class advise and service

always from Bintel ; especially Mike and Don.

Cheers bigjoe.
Old 26-01-2016, 10:23 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

I made an order on Saturday online and haven't heard any acknowledge if they received it or not. The status of the order is still 'unpaid'. I sent them an email chasing it up and still haven't heard from them.
Old 26-01-2016, 10:28 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Just in case you didn't know the Melbourne store closed for good two Saturdays ago so I should imagine it has created something of a backlog as orders are transferred to Sydney. I ordered something from the Sydney store on the day Melbourne closed - but has arrived now.

Chris
Old 26-01-2016, 10:46 PM
doppler (Rick)

The only email response that I have ever received from them was to say that they were out of stock of an item that I had ordered online. They only bill you when the item is shipped, so keep an eye on your bank acc. I have purchased a few things from there online and have never received a confirmation email, but everything has arrived promptly after my bank acc was billed. I made an online order from their Melbourne store on the Wednesday before it closed and received the item the following Monday.
Old 26-01-2016, 11:59 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

When I spoke to Don last week, he said their system was causing issues. The usual confirmation emails were not going out.
My guess it would be a security issue, I know at my work, if we try to get our accounting system to send out emails, the security in Windows simply assumes it is attempting to send spam and blocks them all.
He did say they are aware of the issue and trying to solve it.
The Melbourne store closing shouldn't affect the online ordering as all orders were processed by their Sydney store, I did have 1 thing a couple of years ago sent from Melbourne when Sydney was out of stock.

Cheers

Malcolm