Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-04-2019, 03:12 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Sol 18Apr19

Finally some sun today; had a great session visually then tried to capture some of the features...

Not sure how you guys get the resolution that you get.. obviously, I have a long, long way to go...

Lunt 60PT, 1100d & used a barlow objective to zoom in a little.... tried the ZWO ASI224MC, had some issues with fits format & lack of colour... slowly figuring that out. Couldn't get the ZWO to come to focus with a 0.5x reducer... not enough in travel on the focuser, even with the diagonal shoved up tight....

Nevermind... please feel free to critique, offer advice & especially explain how some of you guys get extremely tight resolution & features...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sunspot Lowres.jpg)
182.7 KB9 views
Click for full-size image (Prominence Lowres.jpg)
83.4 KB9 views
Old 18-04-2019, 04:29 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Glad to see you got some sunshine on your scope today. As with all imaging it comes down to seeing conditions, always more turbulent during the day because of the heat plumes. Playing close attention to focusing and aperture for resolution help a lot obviously.
Some of the images posted on here are taken using double stacked filters, which reduces the band width and gives a clearer view of the proms and / or photosphere and also through Daystar Quark units that give very nice images from what I've seen posted. ( drool )
Can't help much with the cameras though with my ZWO290mc I'm using , as rough settings. RGB24 format, shutter speed 5ms. Gain 50 , Resolution 1024 X 780. ( or something about that ).
Keep chipping away and trying different settings etc and it will slowly come together.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Carlton,
Good results.

The way to improve your images is to go for a high speed (>100 fps) mono camera. The ASI 174 is popular. I went for the ASI 1600MM (a replacement for the defective ASI 183) to get the larger chip.
You'll need a FAST!!! computer, USB3 16Gb memory, and 500Gb SSD drive (I went for a sexy MSI gaming machine - goes like the clappers!!)

Then use FireCapture, with SER (12bit) video settings.
I found a SW focus motor geared to the 10:1 focuser almost mandatory to be able to get good focus.
Practise with the tuning to recognise when you're "on band" and take at least 1000 frames.
Use AS3! to find the best frames (10 to 20%?) and stack them.
Move to ImPPG and apply some corrections and unsharp masking to bring out all the available detail. Colourising in PSP etc. is optional.

Onwards and upwards.
Old 18-04-2019, 06:55 PM
RyanJones

Nice work Carlton. I know nothing about solar, visual or imaging but I can appreciate what you've achieved. Well done
Old 18-04-2019, 07:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Nice image in my view just try stsnding further back from your target ☺
Alex
Old 18-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Glad to see you got some sunshine on your scope today. As with all imaging it comes down to seeing conditions, always more turbulent during the day because of the heat plumes. Playing close attention to focusing and aperture for resolution help a lot obviously.
Some of the images posted on here are taken using double stacked filters, which reduces the band width and gives a clearer view of the proms and / or photosphere and also through Daystar Quark units that give very nice images from what I've seen posted. ( drool )
Can't help much with the cameras though with my ZWO290mc I'm using , as rough settings. RGB24 format, shutter speed 5ms. Gain 50 , Resolution 1024 X 780. ( or something about that ).
Keep chipping away and trying different settings etc and it will slowly come together.
Thanks Jeff,

Focusing today certainly seemed a little trickier so, entirely possible that seeing wasn't the greatest though, visually, the views were stunning. There was still some cloud around, a lot of moisture coming out of the ground & humidity levels are still quite high. I have been having some issues getting raw colour images from the ZWO but, I think that has more to do with the fact I've been using a tablet to control the camera. I did some experimenting later today on some trees using Sharpcap & managed to produce some colour fits files using RGB24. Thus I think I just need to use the laptop & Sharpcap rather than the tablet or ASICAP on the laptop where even 16 bit raw is coming up grayscale.

Maybe focusing on video capture will yield better results.. more experimentation to follow I guess

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Carlton,
Good results.

The way to improve your images is to go for a high speed (>100 fps) mono camera. The ASI 174 is popular. I went for the ASI 1600MM (a replacement for the defective ASI 183) to get the larger chip.
You'll need a FAST!!! computer, USB3 16Gb memory, and 500Gb SSD drive (I went for a sexy MSI gaming machine - goes like the clappers!!)

Then use FireCapture, with SER (12bit) video settings.
I found a SW focus motor geared to the 10:1 focuser almost mandatory to be able to get good focus.
Practise with the tuning to recognise when you're "on band" and take at least 1000 frames.
Use AS3! to find the best frames (10 to 20%?) and stack them.
Move to ImPPG and apply some corrections and unsharp masking to bring out all the available detail. Colourising in PSP etc. is optional.

Onwards and upwards.
Thanks Ken,

Can tick the boxes on fast computer.. USB 3 - check, 16Gb RAM - check, 250Gb SSD - half a check coz it's not 500Gb...

Camera wise, I'm pretty much stuck with the ASI224MC or the DSLR at present & I was a bit disappointed to find that with the 0.5x reducer I couldn't get to focus... not enough in travel. It's not far off full disc with no reducer so, might just stick with that to get the areas I want & then maybe work on full disc mosaics later. the 224MC is capable of 150fps so, might just have to stop being lazy & drag the laptop out..., might have to try my Orion SSAG.. it's mono but, have no idea of fps capabilities & have managed to make that work for imaging in Sharpcap.. although a tad clunky for gain control...

Have to start saving my pennies for a better mono camera in the future...

Setting up the EQ mount for the sun was a breeze, no PA & the sun pretty much stayed in the centre of the EP/sensor for most of the morning with the occasional tweak to put it back in the centre so, pretty happy with that outcome.

Haven't tried Firecapture as yet but, might give that a run as well... I did capture some video today but, need to get better at processing those.. AS2 did a horrendous job of stacking the video, as you say.. probably need to be a little more discerning in choices for stacking rather than just stacking the entire 30 seconds of video...

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Nice work Carlton. I know nothing about solar, visual or imaging but I can appreciate what you've achieved. Well done
Thanks Ryan, nothing like having multiple imaging learning curves on the go at any one time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Nice image in my view just try stsnding further back from your target ☺
Alex
Cheers Alex... might just have to try that.. I've got a few yards to play with in the backyard...