Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 29-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Russell, those are truly gorgeous shots not using stacking etc. Were they taken thru a dob?

Chelle, oh you will love that book, I am so glad you ordered it.
Regarding your friend who's a photographer- it will happen to your scope .

Don't forget August 4th is the next Saturn/Moon occultation. Not to be missed so I hope you will be back in time. I'm not sure when we'll get to see another one. For instance this year in Australia we get 3 (August one being the 3rd) after 10 years of not seeing one!
Old 30-07-2014, 07:39 AM
rrussell1962

Thanks for the kind words re my efforts Suzy, obviously I did not post the entire memory card full of failed attempts! The photo's are taken through a Celestron Nexstar 8SE, although I am curious to find out what could be taken through the Obsession dob, the moon and bright planets obviously, but I think I may be able to grab very bright deep sky objects if I push the ISO up - may have a go at Omega Centauri. As an example of the slippery slope - I sold my EQ6 on here a while ago (part of the domestic deal to fund the Obsession dob) but after my initial attempts at photos with the Celestron I trotted off to buy an Alt-Az EQ6! and am starting to think about auto guiding. The biggest problem I have found is actually getting anything in shot, using a 8x50 finder it is still very hit and miss. I will carry on though, it is very satisfying when a half decent shot appears. My efforts so far leave my totally awestruck and full of admiration for the wonderful results that other people get.
Old 30-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Suzy

Hi again Russell,
We all aim for that obsession dob .

Have you seen the book "Imaging the Southern Sky" by Ian Cooper (*cough* *cough* our fellow IIS-er ) & Stephen Chadwick?

The forum thread is here. Ian talks about the book on this thread.

The web page for the book is here.
"If you're looking for a handy reference guide to help you image and explore the many splendors of the southern sky, Imaging the Southern Sky is the book for you. The work features not only stunning color images, all taken by Stephen Chadwick, of the best galaxies, nebulae, and clusters available to astrophotographers, but also lesser-known objects, some of which have gone largely unexplored! Beginners and experienced observers alike should appreciate the book's remarkable imagery and simple text, which provides concise and accurate information on each object and its epoch 2000.0 position, and also expert testimony on its visual nature. Each object essay also includes a section on technical information that should help astrophotographers in their planning, including telescope aperture, focal length and ratio, camera used, exposure times, and field size. As a charming bonus, the authors have taken the liberty to name many of the lesser-known objects to reflect their New Zealand heritage. Constellation by constellation, from Apus to Volans, Imaging the Southern Sky explores the night sky in a way that should appeal to sky lovers of all ages." - Stephen J. O'Meara, Astronomy.

I have it & it's a fantastic, easy to follow guide- a really great teaching aid for starting out. Every object has a picture followed by a visual observing report plus a guide on how to take the image & what settings to use. Hubby is the one that likes the photography & I love visual so this book is awesome, tho we aren't to that level of imaging yet.

I get a bit excited talking about books as I love them so much, so forgive me if I waffle on a bit when it comes to that subject. I wish I had my own astro book club where I can pretend to be like Oprah in her book club .
I feel so blessed to have this book signed with a lovely note sent to me by Ian himself; it's one of my treasured books.
Old 30-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I love that book Suzy - it's been my principal inspiration for AP! They give great recipes to get started on a slew of SH objects, and the primer in the back part is useful too. Highly recommended.
Old 30-07-2014, 01:04 PM
rrussell1962

Ok Suzy and Amaranthus - 2 recommendations is good enough for me. I will buy the book and slip a little further down the slippery slope! Thank you for the recommendation.
Old 30-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Suzy

hehe I can't believe as a visual observer I've managed to throw someone deeper into the dark side .
I'm supposed to tell you photons are a drug, to train your eyes visually, do sketches, sit outside in the freezing cold bathed in dew with towels at hand to wipe puddles off everything all the time hunched over until your muscles ache......

Last edited by Suzy; 02-08-2014 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typo- photos should be photons, urgh!
Old 31-07-2014, 08:49 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
hehe I can't believe as a visual observer I've managed to throw someone deeper into the dark side .
I'm supposed to tell you photos are a drug, to train your eyes visually, do sketches, sit outside in the freezing cold bathed in dew with towels at hand to wipe puddles off everything all the time hunched over until your muscles ache......
You are a cruel, cruel person, sacrificing others to save your own skin.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 AM
Suzy

Old 05-08-2014, 05:31 PM
chellaxy (Chelle)

Bahahaaa you guys are cracking me up!
I just got back home, and was very very very sad that I missed the occultation. It would have looked absolutely incredible through the scope and salt was rubbed into the wound looking at some of the images posted on Facebook and the like by ASWA/Stargazers/Perth Observatory type pages.
I'm itching to get out there tomorrow night for that lovely 3/4 moon, it will be the first chance I've had to see the moon with my new scope so I'm chomping at the bit
WHOAH NELLY!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Suzy

Sorry you missed it Chelle .
Have you like the IceInSpace fb page too?
I do throw some cool stuff on their even if I do say so myself.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:18 PM
chellaxy (Chelle)

Thanks Suzy, I have just liked it! I didn't even think to look for an IIS page over there. I have just emailed an application to volunteer at Perth Observatory, I hope so much that I can land the opportunity! Would learn a lot with them!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Suzy

All the best Chelle- I hope you get it, what a cool job that would be .

And yayyy for "Liking" the IIS fb page!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 AM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Welcome Chelle! A little late to this topic but better late than never (I'm trying to be a more active member of the IIS society, I was slipping through the cracks!)

As for things to do when the skies are cloudy...well, most of what has already been mentioned here! Planning for observing can be just as fun, I tend to post-it note a million pages with notes and the like or write up observation reports. I have even used print screen shots of Stellarium to star hop to certain objects. Compile and list and any maps you need to find said objects and plan out your next clear night! Sometimes I even get carried away and draw the constellations with their main brightest stars affixed with labels etc...

Or learn the Greek alphabet

Agree with Suzy about taking up another hobby, although it DOES get costly

I enjoy photography and writing as well so I'm constantly back and forward between my hobbies and sometimes it can get extremely confusing That and re-watching Star Trek

I hope you get some clear skies soon!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:03 AM
chellaxy (Chelle)

Hi Shelley!
Thanks for the welcome, and for the advice
I know what you mean about the pre-planning; my daily planner diary has become a mishmash of rudimentary starcharts with times written next to them
Chelle
Old 16-08-2014, 08:02 AM
rrussell1962

After recommendations from Suzy and Amaranthus I now have a copy of Imaging the Southern Sky, great book, thanks for putting me on to it. The only problem is that I can't decide whether it has inspired me to devote more time to imaging, or whether to give up in despair and simply set out to observe every object in the book!
Old 27-08-2014, 01:14 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

...and just to throw in my 2c worth...there is a danger () when you get hooked trying to take photo's that you miss out on trying to appreciate the sight before your eyes....yes, I also want to stick with Luke Skywalker and stay away from the dark side ! (At least 99% of the time anyway )
Old 28-08-2014, 12:18 AM
raymo

Rrussell, As neither of your listed scopes is really suitable [ mechanically]
for serious imaging, why not enjoy the sky for now, and perhaps later
trade the 8SE in for a more suitable rig.
raymo
Old 28-08-2014, 12:53 AM
rrussell1962

Ah well, yes Raymo good point! I am a somewhat accidental photographer. Casual at best. My main interest has always been visual. I bought the Nexstar as a quick set up scope a few years ago. I am not sure if I will actively follow up on the imaging. If I do I may look at something else. The truth is that the Obsession is not a lot more trouble to set up and the views are incomparably better. For a quick grab and go I also have an old Astroscan - which I got out tonight while there was a break in the clouds. All of them are a long way from my wobbly home built 6 inch Newtonian of 30 odd years ago!
Old 28-08-2014, 11:12 AM
raymo

You have the instrument to check out many of the objects in the book, and for a small outlay you can buy the necessary adaptors to hook up
a DSLR camera to the 8SE and take quite good pics. You would also
need a couple of bits of freeware. If you decide to get into serious
imaging later, be aware that it is a steep learning curve, and a great big hole that you pour money into. Good luck.
raymo
Old 28-08-2014, 12:47 PM
rrussell1962

Hi Raymo, I couldn't agree more, I am swiftly becoming aware of the very deep money pit that imaging could involve. A couple of my early efforts are posted earlier in this thread. I look at some of the postings in the Imaging forums here and am absolutely awestruck by the dedication and expertise that is apparent in the images. As a first step I am thinking about having a go at the Messier objects over the next 12 months, well the ones visible from Brisbane that is, my rationale being they are easy to find and mostly bright so may stand up well to single shots without stacking or processing. I have had a quick look at software, the problem I face is that I use macs at home which somewhat limits my choice. Any suggestions would be welcome.