Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-12-2022, 09:26 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Seeing in Melbourne lately

With a bunch of clear skies lately I’ve finally been able to put in some time to getting a new setup up and running. I’ve been able to get the collimation close but dialing it in at the moment feels nigh impossible. After spending a few years with a Mewlon at F/12 imaging now and F/5.8 is less forgiving!

Has the seeing lately been worse than normal? I’ve been struggling to get below 2.5” with a lot being around 3”. Short exposures (max 2s) have been around 1.7” so planetary imaging may not be too bad with slow moving convection pockets.

What’s been your experience lately?
Old 27-12-2022, 09:37 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

when guiding the seeing is variable, it's all over the place I reckon a lot of thermals due to the way Melbourne is set up.
Old 27-12-2022, 04:54 PM
Saturn488

I thought this too last night. The past week or so my guiding was fantastic but last night although it looked clear, my guiding was shocking. Losing starts and massive spikes. Last night's seeing wasn't very good.