Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-10-2018, 08:09 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline_online View Post
Thanks everyone, lots of good info there.

To summarise, can I open a Paypal account and just transfer money into it when I want to make a purchase? Of the amount of that purchase? I buy very little online but my son wants to buy the usual garbage that 13-yr olds like and I'm reluctant to give C/C details.
I'd prefer to not link a savings account to Paypal cos my paranoid mind says someone will steal my money.
You could set up a secondary debit card account only for your online purchases, whether it's payPal or anything else, trybooking etc... You only transfer enough for the upcoming eBay, PayPal or whatever transaction and the account cannot be drawn on below $0.00 as it's a debit card (Famous last words ). I used to do this quite some time back for myself for added security, now I kind of trust things / lazy.

Perhaps you could set up such an account for your son at the bank. Such accounts are often fee free for students / children and you could either give him the $$$ directly or transfer it to his account electronically and let him make the purchase on eBay. We have 3 boys with such accounts and this is how we do business to distribute their monthly stipend and for them to have EFTPOS capabilities from their DEBIT card.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 22-10-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:42 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

You don’t need a PayPal account to buy something from a vendor that uses PayPal. You can just use your credit card when you get to the checkout. I use a prepaid cc with only enough funds for the purchase.

Michael

P.S I have software registered to Valued Cardholder
Old 23-10-2018, 10:50 AM
inline_online (Dan)

We rarely purchase items online so probably no need for separate savings accounts etc to link to Paypal. I think I'll open a Paypal acct and when we want to purchase something, I'll then transfer the money from savings acct to Paypal acct.

I told my wife this was the right place to get advice and I was right.

Cheers all.