Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-09-2008, 01:16 PM
hlokk

Local binocular equivalent to AOE

Hello,

I'm looking to get a pair of reasonable (good value) binoculars for astronomical use (the telescope will come later ). I've read up lots on types, aperatures, zoom, eye relief, exit pupil, coatings, etc, etc.

I want to get some in the range of 7-9x50-60. From reading this site and general binocular info, it seems like the AOE ones would suit my purposes well, being of good quality and good price.

I was thinking of the 7x50HR's (other options were the 8x56s or 9x60). The HR ones are waterproof and seem to be recommended over the other two. Will the 7's still be ok to pick up the moons of jupiter say?

I'm 23, so exit pupil can be large I would think. I wear glasses, so a long eye relief like the AOE 7x50s will be good if I'm watching with someone else (though I figure I will probably use the diopter adjust and no glasses most of the time)

Is there any local equivalents I can look into (so I can get a view first, and not waiting for shipping is a bonus). I rang one shop but the guy was suggesting $300-400+ pairs which was a bit more than I'd want to spend at this stage.

I.e. so I would be wondering if there are ones of equivalent quality/features around the same price (once I factor in shipping and local convenience factor).

(Also, does anyone know what shipping method AOE uses? Still waiting for a reply by email and they dont have a listed phone number)
Old 16-09-2008, 01:49 PM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

G'day HLOKK
I bought some 3lets from Andrews
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...11-andrews.htm

Good Luck
Old 16-09-2008, 02:11 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I think you may be pushing it to pick up jup moons with 7x, but where will you be looking from. They would need to be supported on tripod if you re pushing them to the limit. If you want to go further maybe 12x60's - but they can't be handheld for long lengths of time
Old 16-09-2008, 02:13 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
I think you may be pushing it to pick up jup moons with 7x, but where will you be looking from. They would need to be supported on tripod if you re pushing them to the limit. If you want to go further maybe 12x60's - but they can't be handheld for long lengths of time
I can just pick out the Jupiter moons in my old 7x50s (tripod mounted), but they need to be well separated from the planet. With my 12x60s much easier.
Old 16-09-2008, 02:50 PM
hlokk

Tripod would definately be the way to go to see any I would think. I mainly want them as handheld 'spotting' ones, so any moons would be a bonus. I've heard you can see them on 8x50s, but 7 is a little smaller. 10x50s i'm guessing would be not too much of a problem to see, but then they would be harder to hand hold and have less field of view.
Its pretty light polluted as i'm close to the city (probably the main reason why i've held off getting a telescope so far). Can you only see them in darker skies?

If I cant see the moons, its not too much of a problem. Keeping them at around 8x is probably more useful for me.

Does anyone know of any local brands that would be similar to the AOE ones without costing massive amounts more?
I dont particularily want to go to a shop for them to tell me I need to spend $300+ to get even a basic pair, and that all ones on the internet are rubbish (probably without having used them :p)
Old 16-09-2008, 02:58 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

When Jupiter is around magnitude -2.4, the four Galilean moons are around magnitude 5-6. You'll see them with binoculars, even in fairly bright suburban skies.
Old 16-09-2008, 03:30 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

hlokk, you could try andrews on the link below - i'm pretty sure they use the same supplier as AOE, and depending on the type can be a little cheaper. don't buy ebay type ones - and avoid the ruby coated binos which are for reducing light for daytime use - and so cut out too much light for astro use.
Old 16-09-2008, 03:47 PM
hlokk

Definately not going to get the rubicon ones (FMC all the way too).

I was hoping to pick some up locally so I can try them out before I buy them, and not having to wait a week is a bonus. I'm not sure however, if there are any equivalent pairs that would be available locally.

Location is in Perth if it doesnt say so on the top right.
Old 16-09-2008, 04:18 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yep it says "Perth". Well, if you must live in the second most remote inhabited significant city in the world (after Honolulu)...........

AOE are good - they just don't do phone and shopfront! They should respond to email quickly - prompt again? They once sent Express Post (Australia Post) for me, so you can get them fast. Shouldn't be too much extra shipping cost on a small pair of bins. I'm guessing, but if you weren't completely happy with your purchase, I'm sure you could talk with them about options - they have been very customer-friendly in my experience.
Old 17-09-2008, 06:39 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I bought a pair of meade 9x63 which are pretty good for the price imo
http://www.opticsplanet.net/meade-9x63-roof.html
I was surprised how much more light they gather than my old 10 x 50
there is some false colour on the outer 10% during daytime use.
As most roofs seem to start around the $200 mark and go way up from there you certainly get what you pay for..
the design is a fair bit lighter than a pair of poros,,and these can't be tripod mounted .. I use them hand held without a problem though

cheers graham
Old 17-09-2008, 09:54 AM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

You will probably find locally some binos roughly equivalent to those available at AOE and Andrews (and maybe some better) probably with "better" branding but you will be paying camera store prices...
Old 17-09-2008, 11:11 AM
hlokk

Any idea which would be so I'm able to compare 'apples with apples'? If I knew what was comparable, I could make a decision whether the price was worth it

Sent another email to AOE and got a reply. Unfortunately shipping will take a week, so i'll keep a look out today, but if not i'll go ahead with the AOE order.
Old 17-09-2008, 11:33 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I've never had any problems viewing the Galilean moons with my 7x50s (Pentax... >20 years old) hand held. Of course, if they are close to Jup then they disappear in the glare, but generally if they are >1/2 the diffraction disk away from Jup there's no problem.

7x50s are nice to hand hold and browse about. Larger magnifications can be hand held but IMO they will benefit from a mount.

I would recommend AOE or Andrews.

Good luck with the search for a local supplier and your subsequent purchase.

Al.
Old 17-09-2008, 01:59 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I had a set of 7x50s and could pick up the moons of Jupiter. I now have a set of AOE 9x60s and find them to be brilliant in themselves and in combination with my scopes.
Old 17-09-2008, 04:26 PM
hlokk

AOE 7x50HRs have been ordered. Next is the telescope or some 15 or 20x70s

Now the wait to actually get them... :p
Old 18-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Chippy (Nick)
Phoenix has landed

The AOE 12x60 and 11/15x70 are really nice binos for the price too. They have better coatings than the Andrews equivalents. Can't go wrong. Good luck with the 7x50s! They will be perfect to start with
Old 18-09-2008, 08:19 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Yep, great way to learn the sky.