Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Dmk Processing Long Exposure

Matty P- I thought it best I submit these questions under a new heading to get your attyention.
You wrote that the long exposures were stacked in Photoshop and processed in Registax. To do this I assume the single frames would need to be combined in some way. Using the bench testing method, I have made a number of identical single recordings at 1/15th sec, saving them as a SEQUENCE in hopes that it would produce an image acceptable to Registax, but it doesn’t appear to join the frames. Can I lean on you a little further with this question: What method do you use to prepare the single frames for processing / stacking in Registax?
Old 16-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Dennis,

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread, I've been away in the past few days.

First of all you will need to stack your images in Registax and then save it as a TIFF file. You will then need to open it into Photoshop and do a couple of adjustments (levels, curves) and whatever else you like. As an alternative you can process your stacked image in Registax but only do this if you don't have access to Photoshop or another photo processing program.

If you have never used Photoshop before it may be a bit daunting so if are having any problems, If you like you can send me a PM or just post here.

Hope this helps,
Old 18-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Matty P Many thanks for your reply.
I'm OK with Photoshop, it's the stacking into Registax a number of single images that has me confused. I've only ever used it to process AVI images.
Old 18-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Matty P
Me again!!! You write STACK the Long exposures in Registax. I've tried to do this, but Registax will only accept ONE (any one) of the 10 test picturs recorded ALL are exactly the same image with no recorded movement. Registax will not process a single frame. In my ignorance there must be something I'm failing to do, when saving the exposures or do they need a new title to be accepted for stacking?
Old 18-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Dennis,

What you have to do is select and open all 10 images in Registax and stack them normally. Once stacked you will be able to save it as a TIFF and take it over the PS and process it there.

What type of format are the images? bitmaps, jpg...?

Old 18-09-2008, 05:14 PM
TrevorW

I've not used a DMK camera but if each frame can be saved as an individual JPEG or TIFF file you might find Deepsky Stacker (freeware) easier to follow than Registax.

Cheers
Old 18-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The long exposure images from the DMK are .bmp images.
Select these under registax and it should do the rest.......
You will have to give the individual test images you've created different file names to get registax to recognise them.
Old 18-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Matty P Merlin
THey are Bitmaps and that is the problem. I cannot change them to TIFF. Photoshop will not open the Long Exposure Bitmaps and I've tried the JPG setting n the DMK control but no go. I 'm lost. And I'll wear my welcome out very soon!
Old 18-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Registax will open your .bmp files and stack them.
Does this work for you??
Old 18-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis G View Post
Matty P Merlin
THey are Bitmaps and that is the problem. I cannot change them to TIFF. Photoshop will not open the Long Exposure Bitmaps and I've tried the JPG setting n the DMK control but no go. I 'm lost. And I'll wear my welcome out very soon!
If you like Dennis, you can send me the bitmaps over email and I'll see what I can do.

Old 20-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Thanks to all for your replies. I've managed to stack 15 test exposures in Registax and process the end result in Photoshop by changing each frame to .AVI A slow process, but the end result was rewarding. I'm hoping there's software that will convert a stack into .avi that doesn't need one to be a computer wizz to use. I've read the manual to Deep Sky Stacker, Trevor, and will give it a try when I'm more conversant with long exposure.
Old 20-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis G View Post
Thanks to all for your replies. I've managed to stack 15 test exposures in Registax and process the end result in Photoshop by changing each frame to .AVI A slow process, but the end result was rewarding. I'm hoping there's software that will convert a stack into .avi that doesn't need one to be a computer wizz to use. I've read the manual to Deep Sky Stacker, Trevor, and will give it a try when I'm more conversant with long exposure.
That's good to hear Dennis.

Are you going to post the results?