Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

How does this approach sound? Getting the Right Gear!

How does this approach sound? Getting the Right Gear!

I’ve highlighted what it is that I need to know or what I’m un-clear about. I hope this makes reading it a little easier.

I know I’ve been saying I want to find a cheap way into imaging, but the more I research the more I know this is not to be. I’m no longer rushing out to buy something I think I can justify, but instead have decided to save for the “right gear” that will at least make the whole process of imaging more enjoyable to learn & give great results.

Factors I am now thinking about:

I need to pose the following questions to get an idea of what Telescope combo I will end up with, in order to select the right mount with weight considerations/gearing /stability & over all suitability.

My First Scope-Wide Field DSO
As a total, beginner my First telescope will be a small refractor with a short FL that will get me started with some wide field photography where upon I can use it as a guide scope on my second telescope purchase further down the track…This I believe has already been answered for me…Thank you!

My Second Scope-Planetary/Lunar/close up DSO
I have to admit I have been getting confused where the lines are drawn between apps & Fls with people recommending what sized scope for Planetary or DSO imaging…I also believe the type of imaging method may also influence scope selection & the type of Astrophotography one wishes to pursue. For this reason I have already purchased a book on Amazon “Digital Astrophotography-A guide to capturing the cosmos” by Stefan Seip. It seems to be a recent book on the subject (Dec 2007) and reviews look good on it.

Having already a good idea of what scope I wish to use for wide field images…I don’t wish to end up with an “All Rounder” Telescope for my second, but rather one that is MORE suited for Planetary/Lunar & close up DSOs. I realize I can follow this up and I will be, but just off hand a little info as to what type of scope would be a good selection for this would be handy. I know many people stick to using a refractor for various reasons and what not…I know that a longer FL is required and imaging with such scopes requires a lot of skill. High Resolution sounds like a good point to think about as well…in fact what kind of attributes does a scope need to achieve Hi-Rez shots?...Ok, I’m getting a bit carried away here…Let me sum up what my issues with a second scope…Will a DSLR be inadequate for such results?

-Want is SOLEY for Planetary/Lunar& Close up DSO-galaxies
-Not sure about Refractor Vs Large Reflector or the other kinds…I do know though, my saving limit on that selection will be around 2 Grand at most, and it won’t be anytime real soon.
-More than likely will be using a high end DSLR…LOL I mean a cheap one for around $1300.00au

One scope I am thinking about?
I can tell you that at this point…without having the in-depth knowledge you guys have…that the Skywatcher ED120/120 seems to have the fl over the other 120mm available refractors within the $2000.00au mark with others just seeming to be an all-rounder (Orion) (fl) rather than Planetary specific.

Camera:
I’ll just get the best DSLR I can afford, and I’ll be getting it before my second scope…therefore I guess that will be something that will also dictate my second scope. Its seems some cameras are better at doing different things than others and that knowing this will also help those who wish to specialize in their hobby.

Mounts:
At this stage…the two I rate as achievable to save for in my book are the:
Atlas EQ-G Mount with Dual-Axis Controller
http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=mounts_and_tripods/~pcategory=accessories/~product_id=24337

Skywatcher EQ6PRO SynScan
http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?id=75&class1=3&class2=3 08

I’m not quite sure which the better is, but think the Atlas looks better…not much of a reason to pick it over the other. I think If I do go with something like two refractors on one another with a DSLR, I might be right…would it still be ok to image at high mag like that?

ANYWAYS…If you managed to read my post…Thanks. I realize what an effort it can be to read long winded posts, especially when people are either confused or simply overwhelmed with what they are trying to achieve. I guess I am still at a point of looking at the entirety of what is required, what I want to do, & what’s important, as well as think about the order in which to build upon what seems to be an exciting hobby.

The Basics
1st Mount / 2nd Wide Field Scope / 3rd DSLR / 4th Planetary/Lunar/Galaxy Scope

Set-up---Scopes piggybacked on single mount sharing DSLR camera, each alternatively sharing the job of guide scope. Hi Rez would be good, but not a necessity.

Feed Back greatly appreciated.
Dave
Old 28-08-2008, 06:58 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

doesnt sound like a bad idea....

The for a lunar/planetary/close up DSO scope, a ED120 is not at all what I'd look at... I'd be looking towards a newtonian or a SCT.. I would (and did) get a small/cheap 80mm achromatic refractor as a guide scope, and then move swap between the ED80 and a much larger aperture scope for planetary...

For planetary imaging, light gathering power is THE most important factor... Focal length is also a big one...

a 10" Newtonian reflector is a great way to have a mixture between size and portablility... a 10"~12" SCT is better again, but at a much greater cost...

As for the camera - the best you can save for is always a good plan... there is no set rules, however, if you can save for a Canon 40D/450D you'll get live preview, live preview can be very helpful during focusing...

Mount : An Orion EQ-G and a Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro are exactly the same thing.... and quite suitable for the task at hand, its very easy to set up and use, and also very portable..
Old 29-08-2008, 01:06 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

just my 2 bobs worth, from what i can remember talking to alot of people, they don't bother with a bigger apperature refractor, just the quality, dunno, williams optics is one that comes to mind, or takahashi but how deep are your pockets.? remember that CCD's are alot more sensitive to photons than our eyes.. light gathering isn'tthe most important thing (although....)
Old 29-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Thanks Guys,
I was pretty much thinking a 10inch Newtonian. Especialy the skywatcher as it comes with the Skywatcher EQ-6 Goto mount
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...skywatcher.htm
Celestons C10-NGT 10 also looks ok to, but I don't think that mount got a good review with that scope on it?

Do you think I could have an 80mm refractor on a 10inch Newt like these and still atempt to image.

Hey Mitch...I've been checking out WO and they look good too...your points duely noted...
Cheers

Ps...I hear ya on the SCT...yea, that will take me to long...The 8inch is tempting, but I'd probably do better learning on the 10inch Newt for what I want...Just asumming there.

Anyways thanks heaps...Untill I find out otherwise...The fact I was already thinking 10inch with 80mmED setup on say a SWEQ-6...and your mention of the 10incher...I'll be going with that at this stage...
Maybey I can add weights to help with stabilization?

IMPORTANT NOTE ... Using a Newtonian, Ive read I will have to collimate (mainly the secondary "flat ) mirror to allow for proper focusing when using a camera. I am sure I will be able to learn this on the Net somewhere...But I was wondering...DOES THIS MEAN I WONT BE ABLE TO FOCUS FOR NOW OBSERVATION ONCE I COLLIMATE FOR IMAGING WITH IT. Would be a pain if I had to recollimate for switching from Imaging to observing?

Thanks again:
All this info is reallly helping. Ive pretty much got it narrowed down...Will use the other forum sections to get into the specifics. I will have to start emailing some contacts I have made through these forums and others.
Old 29-08-2008, 08:25 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

To use a camera in a newtonian, you will need to do one of three things...

Some Newts only a low profile focuser to come to focus, if this is the case, then its a very nice and easy job, and you'll more than likely want a new focuser anyway for imaging, so its two birds with one stone...

Other newts, you can put larger collimation bolts/springs in it, which push the primary mirror 1~2cm further up the tube towards the secondary... This is again a fairly simple task..

The third and final option is somewhat more daunting, for me anyway. but alot of forum members have done it, and had great results... It involves removing the primary mirror cell, and cutting 50mm off the bottom of the the tube, then refitting the mirror cell...

There is a forum member 'Peter_4059' who has a 10" skywatcher Newt on an EQ6, with an ED80 for guiding... He uses 4 counterweights, which is quite alot, but judging by the quality of the images he takes, I'd say its chuging along just fine with the weight...

You mentioned collimation in your last post, but I think you may have the word confused a little bit... collimation is a process every newtonian owner will be required to master if they wish to get the best from their scope... It is the process one goes through in order to allign the mirrors with each other, and to the focuser.. if they are mis-alligned, the focal plane at the cameras chip will be slightly off flat, causing some of the image to appear focused, and some to be slightly out of focus. It is quite simple to do once you get the hang of it... There are plenty of guides on these forums...

Personally, I think if you went for the 10" newt + ED80, you'd have all bases covered...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

With going for a 10" newt and colmination.... it can be a right royal B4574R6... to figure out, but once you get your head around the light path and what your actually doing its a piece of p155...one thing to do though is get yourself something like a Cats Eye 2" XL series set, to get absolute collimnation.. you don't want to be a tiny bit off.! optical isn't so important. but photography is.

Brendan