Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-07-2008, 11:22 PM
DistroMan (Trevor)
Silly Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibeentokeck View Post
I actually liked the Skywatcher Dob 12 which has the moveable parts (truss) so you can compact it down for the car. But when I rang the Andrews telescope they seemed to really talk it down and steer me towards the GSOs? They said that the eyepieces were not that good in this one?

You can always buy some eyepieces later if they are not that great. Are the GSO's plossl eyepieces better when it's actually a cheaper telescope I don't get it?
Strange, they sold me one without talking it down and I'm more than pleased with my purchase as is everyone else who has had a look through it. And believe me, I'm usually very picky and unhappy with my first choices. But not this time.
Old 20-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Ibeentokeck (Stevo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistroMan View Post
Strange, they sold me one without talking it down and I'm more than pleased with my purchase as is everyone else who has had a look through it. And believe me, I'm usually very picky and unhappy with my first choices. But not this time.
Cool, maybe I just spoke to the wrong guy. What specs does it have since it doesn't have anything on the website, is it a crayford focuser and what eyepieces did yours come with?

Last edited by Ibeentokeck; 20-07-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 20-07-2008, 10:44 AM
DistroMan (Trevor)
Silly Person

I hunted around other online shops to find the specs. You really have to know before purchasing otherwise you end up in the position I usually do and want to take things back.

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...asp?id=MAS-329

Had to edit: Eyepieces:1.25” Super 25 and 10*
Old 20-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Ibeentokeck (Stevo)

Quote:
I hunted around other online shops to find the specs. You really have to know before purchasing otherwise you end up in the position I usually do and want to take things back.

$999 at http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm is it the same one basically?
Old 20-07-2008, 11:30 AM
ruggiero54

With respect, and good intent
Distroman touched on it, it seems to me you are over analysing to the point of making no decision...questions and comments out of context to our own thought processes produce confounding answers from others e.g. shop assistants.
Make a decision, whether or not you 100% like that decision, buy it, and then move forward i.e. upgrade later. You might have to deal with your inner voice telling you you've made the wrong choice, but it's easier to deal with than the sense of frustration that can come from not making a decision at all.
"Listen to everyone, follow no-one" Franklin Templeton Investments
"Just Do It" Nike
Old 20-07-2008, 11:58 AM
DistroMan (Trevor)
Silly Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggiero54 View Post
With respect, and good intent
Distroman touched on it, it seems to me you are over analysing to the point of making no decision...questions and comments out of context to our own thought processes produce confounding answers from others e.g. shop assistants.
Make a decision, whether or not you 100% like that decision, buy it, and then move forward i.e. upgrade later. You might have to deal with your inner voice telling you you've made the wrong choice, but it's easier to deal with than the sense of frustration that can come from not making a decision at all.
"Listen to everyone, follow no-one" Franklin Templeton Investments
"Just Do It" Nike
Well put. In the end for us, it came down to these few things.

Good brand? Yes
Not too small? No (I like big toys)
Not too big? No (I don't own a truck)
Cost fair? Yes (was 899 at the time)

So we bought it and haven't looked back.
Old 20-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Ibeentokeck (Stevo)

12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian is the one I'm getting.

Just wondering, for planets do I need to get another eyepiece like a 30 or 35, what do I need to see planets well.
Old 20-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Try an orthoscopic eyepiece , or really 9mm and under, 30mm will give you to wide a view and your planet will be small......use your 30mm on planetary nebula`s to get a real decent wide view...... I,m reckoning you,ll view a few planets then it off to the DSO`S
Old 20-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

What eyepieces are you getting with it ?
Old 20-07-2008, 02:11 PM
PCH (Paul)

EPs - which ones ?

Hi,

yep, a good ep will always give better views and therefore more enjoyment than the cheapies that come with our toys Recently there was a forum discussion on the Baader Hyperion click-zoom 8-24mm - which in case it's not obvious, is a zoom ep meaning that you don't need to be continually swapping !

So, having decided that this was the one for me, I found out they were distributed in Oz by Andrews and York Optical. Pricing on the forum was suggested as being approx $399 - not bad for a quality zoom EP. However, Andrews, took a couple fo days to reply, and then had them but didn't advise price. York never replied at all

So, a quick google and I ordered one from Optcorp in California for $215 plus about $30 postage. Seems to me the extra weeks worth of wait will more than pay for itself.

But i never fail to be amazed at the tardiness in service that some of our suppliers provide. I'd prefer to buy local but not if it means I have to ask several times. Optcorp replied within hours from California - why couldn't Andrews and York from Aus

Gripe over - just my 2c.

Cheers,
Old 20-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Ibeentokeck (Stevo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnool View Post
What eyepieces are you getting with it ?
It comes with Eyepieces:1.25” Super 25 and 10*
Old 20-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Put your name in the profile so we can put a name to ya.
Have a look through the eyepieces as you will then ........when you buy a really decent eyepiece you will understand in what we mean by cheap eyepieces and your image will be in the wow factor......also dont forget to get a barlow (essential) .

A 2x Barlow will transform your 25mm into a 12.5mm and your 10mm into a 5mm.....but just keep reading mags and forum,s there,s a wealth of knowledge out there...cheers Kev.
Old 20-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Ibeentokeck (Stevo)

Quote:

Distroman, with your truss telescope, do you find collimation goes off much. Are the trusses pretty sturdy in the unit?
Old 20-07-2008, 09:17 PM
DistroMan (Trevor)
Silly Person

No more so than a removable truss newt. I've looked at a couple of them and they are the same. Takes a few seconds to collimate if necessary anyway. I'm one who will collimate every trip out whereas others are only every few trips and others thought it was fine when they got it and if they don't touch it then it'll be fine.
Old 20-07-2008, 09:24 PM
gman (Grant)
Where is the dark?

Wasn't all that long ago that I was asking myself the same questions.

I chose to buy a set of binos. (11 x 70)
I started to learn what I was looking at and decide if I really wanted to go down this path.
After a few months of using the binos, I decided to buy a scope.
At this time, with a little more experience and reading just about every thread on the IIS forums, I decided that I wanted to view objects and that a dob was the way to go with a limited budget (bang for bucks)
I initially chose an 8" dob from Bintel, not for any other reason than that Bintel was easier to get to and an 8" is easier to transport.

After waiting for a number of weeks for stock to come into the country, I chose to upgrade to a 10" dob.
Bintel threw in a few filters for the inconvenience and the scope was collimated prior to collection.
This unit will still fit in the back seat of the car.
I admit that the eyepieces supplied are not great but they do provide an acceptable view for those starting out. (My kids think that it gives million dollar views)
I have since purchased a 2x Barlow and am saving some dollars for a couple of nice eyepieces (size and type is yet to be decided).

Try to get to an astronomical society viewing night and check out the scopes as people will be more than willing to help.

My advice is take your time, do your homework and you will not be disappointed and own an overpriced dust collector
Old 20-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Fine advice indeed, Grant.
Old 20-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Ibeentokeck (Stevo)

Quote:
No more so than a removable truss newt. I've looked at a couple of them and they are the same. Takes a few seconds to collimate if necessary anyway. I'm one who will collimate every trip out whereas others are only every few trips and others thought it was fine when they got it and if they don't touch it then it'll be fine.
Hi,

So moving it up and down puts it out a bit and you have to collimate it a bit? What about when you are using it, the truss is not as sturdy as a full thickness tube, so does it go out of alignment being used as your moving it around looking at objects? Is this less of a problem when you just have a normal scope.

Yeah I think I'll get better eyepieces later, that 1/2 adapter size one is a great idea to convert the eye pieces you have into other sizes

Cheers.
Old 20-07-2008, 11:32 PM
DistroMan (Trevor)
Silly Person

I haven't had it go out while using it. They are much sturdier than you would think just looking at them.
Old 21-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Ibeentokeck (Stevo)

Cool going to buy one this week can't wait to get it
Old 21-07-2008, 12:31 AM
DistroMan (Trevor)
Silly Person

It's a pity you're so far away or you could have come and tried it out.