Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 AM
viking88

Transporting a DOB

I was wondering what the best way is to transport a 10" GSO dob for about 4 hours on the road in a normal family sedan. It feels like it will be better to transport it vertically and not horizontally on the backseat. But theres no way it will fit vertically in my car, its 1.2 meters long! Wont the mirror move in its mirror clips and scratch the mirror? I suppose it was transported vertically form the factory in any case
Old 12-09-2008, 05:16 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
I suppose it was transported vertically form the factory in any case
Horizontally you mean?
Horizontally is just fine. The mirror clips should be snug against the mirror but not tight. It's extremely unlikely the mirror would wobble around and scratch it. If you're really worried about that, you can take the mirror out for the journey and put it back in when you get there. You'll need to recollimate anyway.

I always transport mine horizontally. I use the foam cutouts from the original box and just sit it in those on the back seat, or when we had a wagon, in the back with the backseat folded down. Never had any problems.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 AM
viking88

oops, yes I mean it was probably transported horizontally form the factory. I got my scope secondhand with none of the original packaging
Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

My 8" travelled in the boot, on a blanket. My 12" travels in a trailer, sitting in the original foam semi-circular packing - one each end - all sitting on a thin carpet. It cops some bouncing around.

Never a problem and hardly any effect on collimation - just a tweak needed.

Make sure that the three lock screws are done up snug on the primary before you transport. Also make sure your three collimating screws on the secondary are firmly against the secondary holder. It's the secondary I've worried the most about - I don't want it working loose and spinning around.

Also useful to pull a rubber band, or similar, across the large end cap so it doesn't fall loose. The rubber band can be connected around the spider knurled screws.

Happy travelling to dark skies.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
astro_nutt

Hi Viking88
I own a Saxon 10" F 4.9 dob and I transport it on the back seat of my Falcon sedan no worries..just remember to fill in any gaps with cushions, pillows, etc..and DO clip the seatbelts on both sides and loop the diagonal part of the seatbelt around the end of the tube just to be safe..most times after a long trip ( i.e. corrigated roads )..it just needs a tweek to collimate!
Cheers!!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Laying across the back seat is fine Put the kids in the boot.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
CoombellKid

Yup! I go with the on it's side in the old Ford Falcon.... they like driving a
couch.... well pre 1990's lol

regards,CS